Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic: Editing raw file in PS from LR loses profile

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[See here for how to reproduce the bug and an easy workaround:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-cr3-files-i... -- John Ellis]

Editing a picture in Photoshop 2021 from within LR 10.0 makes the color profile disappear and the image loses all it's vibrancy... Any idea how to fix that? Top image is what I see in LR. Bottom is how it shows up in Photoshop... 

ScreenShot20201021at7.18.40AM-240171dc-a5d4-4249-8984-f1786b7af173-2080094976.pngScreenShot20201021at7.18.40AM-240171dc-a5d4-4249-8984-f1786b7af173-2080094976.png
ScreenShot20201021at7.18.49AM-4f6af639-71e2-4220-82ad-6b3b230ee66b-1477693513.pngScreenShot20201021at7.18.49AM-4f6af639-71e2-4220-82ad-6b3b230ee66b-1477693513.png
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

This existing bug is almost a year old, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to get fixed:

https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-raw-file-in-ps-from-lr-loses-profile/5f9043b035f40c2520b9e964 

A workaround is to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File right before editing in Photoshop, or alternatively, set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

[Here's a concise synthesis of previous posts and my own testing]

When you edit a raw photo in Photoshop that has a creative profile containing a LUT, Photoshop loses the profile.  A workaround is to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File right before editing in Photoshop, or alternatively, set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

To reproduce:

1. Make sure Photoshop is not running.

2. In LR, uncheck the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Auto

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 161 Replies 161
161 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears this bug is limited to creative profiles (.xmp) using LUTs.  I can't reproduce the problem with creative profiles that just use develop settings, and I and Andrew can't reproduce the problem using custom camera profiles (.dcp).

Apparently, when you edit a raw with a LUT creative profile in PS, and there is no .xmp sidecar, the LUT is getting dropped on the floor.  Perhaps this is a bug in the hidden mechanism by which LR passes develop settings to PS when there isn't a sidecar.

The example DNG posted by @dprosk involves a creative profile with a LUT. Here's what the relevant internal LR develop settings look like:

CameraProfile = "Base Profile V4", 
Look = {--table: 2
    CameraModelRestriction = "Canon EOS R5", 
    Name = "CF Landscape V4", 
    Parameters = {--table: 3
        CameraProfile = "Base Profile V4", 
        RGBTable = "5F18C8C737DCE48D81659D934F9C9D35", 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking a little more about this, almost certainly the LUT is getting dropped on the floor unless there's a .xmp sidecar.

When there's a creative-profile LUT, the .xmp sidecar contains the actual encoded LUT, e.g.

crs:Table_43CE5AF1D6EC3B3338CDB7A0CB099BA6="Lir00.ks!*{EZHy|E35{f2.M{CyyQaOV:pl#x]zq*gVp2BMFuBD(2{nYG$WKWHQ#prLX0+kTr-QTh$'nQ=NtnM{%'ns.?Kq|16/Q`MmF5R:3(yOp4UVDGxEfpAerO2f*6KB-1t/Rt03}^+kLt9D-8)8riaqNzqN[gC4n%H'^ThDC4Fd6p]

But internally, LR's develop settings just contain a reference to the LUT, which is cached in the Camera Raw engine:

RGBTable = "5F18C8C737DCE48D81659D934F9C9D35"

LR must be passing just the reference to the cached LUT, not the contents of the LUT (unless there's a sidecar).  If PS has been freshly started, it won't have the LUT in its cache.  But if you first open the raw directly in PS, it will have the LUT in its cache, and when you later edit the raw from LR, PS will find the LUT in its cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So no issues using DNG?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate the problem with DNGs. DNGs contain their develop settings in an XMP metadata section in the file (just like TIFFs and JPEGs), the same XMP contents as would be in a sidecar. I confirmed with @dprosk's DNG that it contains the actual LUT, not a reference, just like a .xmp sidecar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNGs contain their develop settings in an XMP metadata section in the file (just like TIFFs and JPEGs)

Exactly and probably why I can't replicate since I'm just working with DNGs. So in the meantime, converting to DNG could be the fix. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting to DNG and opening into PS (through ACR) definitely works.  Multiple workarounds exist:

• Downgrade to ACR v12.4
  • Save metadata (.xmp) prior to "Edit in PhotoShop 2021"
  • Use "Open as Smart Object in PhotoShop" then double-click on layer
  • Export as DNG, open the DNG in PhotoShop

That said, the issue in ACR should still be fixed so that "Edit in PhotoShop 2021" works as expected and as it used to.  My preferred workaround until the issue is resolved is the save metadata just prior to editing in PhotoShop.  But hopefully I won't have to use it for long!

Thanks @John_R_Ellis for the thorough analysis!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.
I am using custom profiles, which I have created and using for the last 2-3 years.
After finishing globla editing on lightroom I am pressing CTRL+E to edit the photo on photoshop, but unfortunately the profile is disappearing.
I tried checking "Automatically Write Changes Into XMP" without success.
Below you can find my sytem info on both lightroom anf photoshop
system-2e929c7d-6221-4781-b302-cfe46a2351eb-641715074.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these camera profiles (ending with .dcp) or creative profiles (ending with .xmp)?

Also, let us know if any of these additional workarounds help:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-raw-file-in... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.

Problem solved for me by updating Photoshop to the latest version as at 17-November-2020

Custom and 3rd party Profiles now carry over if you use the Edit in Photoshop option from Lightroom Classic.

Photoshop version: 22.0.1

Camera Raw Version: 13.0.2
OS Verison: Windows 10 20H2 (build 19042.630)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. This error is not listed as solved, and when I quickly tried it yesterday I found it was not solved. That was on a Mac, however.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug recipe still provokes the bug on my LR 10.0 / PS 22.0.1 / Windows 10.

@koketso, perhaps you could upload one of your custom profiles to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here? We can see if the issue happens on other installations with your profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@koketso 

Update on my working solution:

This seems to now work in conjunction with XMP sidecar files on.

It previously didn't even with XMP files on - and I can confirm the XMP was being written but Photoshop was not reading it or not reading it correctly. Again, only happened with .CR3 files.

Here is a profile for testing: https://mega.nz/file/GdpiiBpR#d0cPt45T5WjyfUF7DfZkT3th8EoY3J9jUFQDBKu9ZLQ

cc @JohanElzenga @John_R_Ellis 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the bug on all types of raw files, not just on .CR3. Saving metadata to file before you send the image to Photoshop does indeed seem to work. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@koketso , using the profile you uploaded (Evanous 01), I was able to reproduce the bug with both PS 22.0.0 and 22.0.1, and doing Metadata > Save To File avoided the bug with both versions too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still no fix, but you can do a regular Export as a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easy workaround: Do Metadata > Save Metadata To File right before editing in Photoshop, or alternatively, set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When going from Lightroom to Photoshop (ctrl+e shortcut), photoshop does not recognize my custom profile applied to the photo in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I am still experiencing the same issues that was discussed above. I am on the latest LR and PS which were updated a week ago. 3rd party profiles are not going across.

Appreciate any suggestions. 

Regards

Satya

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe didn't list this as a bug fixed in LR 10.2.  See here for easy workarounds:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-raw-file-in... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested the edit in into other external editors and the transfer worked fine with the 3rd party profile embedded. Hence I think the issue is the handshake transfer between lightroom and photoshop only.

Waiting for lightroom to write the xmp files. before testing. Its taking a long time as I have a lot of photos.

Hope that Adobe find a long term solution instead of a work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When sending an image to PS for editing 3rd party develop profiles are being ignored. 

I've tested this on an Intel based Mac running OSX Mojave and a M1 Mac running Big Sur. The problem is the same so not OS or Architecture related.

When applying a develop profile (Adobe Color, Adobe Landscape, Adobe Vived etc) and then sending the image to PS for editing the profile is ignored unless the profile is one that shipped with LR. ie I can apply any profile from Adobe, Modern, Vintage, B&W and the profile is honoured when sent to PS. If I apply a 3rd party profile from say On1 or 3rd party film emulation profiles of my 3rd party camera profiles then these profiles are ignored. 

I can export the image to any file format with 3rd party profiles and that works perfectly, I can send an image to Luminar, NIK collection etc with a 3rd party profile and that works perfectly but when sending to PS, the profile is ignored. 

I suspect that the issue has manifested itself when Adobe changed the way images are sent to PS. Previously a PSD of TIF file would be generated and then that file was sent to PS for editing. Recently a TIF or PSD is not generated and the file format displayed when the image opens in PS is the raw format eg. CR2 or CR3. 

I have created a video which shows the issues which you can find here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezlyqkAsGMk

I have no idea if this issue persists in Windows machines as I do not have access to one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just discovered this bug too and actually reported in in a separate thread before finding this one. It seems that Adobe are forcing us into a lot of "work-arounds" just lately. It's unacceptable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a known issue with LUTs in some presets. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney If this is the case, it's a pity the support staff don't know about it. I spend 20 minutes on a live chat with some idiot telling me it's the 3rd party developers fault. Then sent me an email about colour spaces.  

Votes

Translate

Translate