• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom doesn't open HEIC files as layers in Photoshop

Mentor ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select multiple HEIC files in Lr Classic 10.3 and choose Edit In>Open as Layers in Photoshop I notice that Photoshop (22.4.2) opens but the HEIC files don't appear in Photoshop. However, doing the same with other file formats (raw, TIF, jpeg) works as expected. Including even a single HEIC file among other file types selected will not allow the Lightroom Edit In>Open as Layers in Photoshop to function as expected (no files appear in Photoshop).

When I select the same HEIC files in Bridge and choose Tools>Photoshop>Load files into Photoshop as Layers I get the expected result.

Lightroom Classic version: 10.3 [ 202105281559-8dc50eb4 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.19041
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 3.1GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 16191.3 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16191.3 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1340.6 MB (8.2%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1923.4 MB

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.4.2 20210602.r.242 a4f6042  x64
Number of Launches: 98
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Version: 10 or greater 10.0.19041.1023
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:10 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading
Physical processor count: 6
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 3192 MHz
Built-in memory: 16191 MB
Free memory: 10368 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 11929 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released today and contain a fix for this issue. Please install the update via your Creative Cloud Desktop App or your respective App Store. 

Note: 

You may need to refresh the Creative Cloud App for desktop software to show an update available.  ([Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+ [ R ])

For Mobile downloads, it may take several days for the update to appear in your respective App Stores.

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
11 Comments
Mentor ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select multiple HEIC files in Lr Classic 10.3 and choose Edit In>Open as Layers in Photoshop I notice that Photoshop (22.4.2) opens but the HEIC files don't appear in Photoshop. However, doing the same with other file formats (raw, TIF, jpeg) works as expected.Why doesn't the open as layers feature in Lr behave properly with HEIC files?

When I select the same HEIC files in Bridge and choose Tools>Photoshop>Load files into Photoshop as Layers I get the expected result.

I am running on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice the same symptoms on my LR 10.3 / PS 22.4.2 / CR 13.3 / Windows 10 but not on Mac OS 11.3.1.  

Open As Layers was reported broken a year ago and finally fixed in March. Over the years, the edit-in-Photoshop commands have often broken -- it seems that Adobe doesn't test them thoroughly before releasing a new version.

Please post a new bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bug reports and feature suggestions:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/send-bug-report-feature-request-adobe/

Be sure to include the first ten lines of the menu command Help > System Info for both LR and PS. Provide all the details, rather than linking back to this thread -- experience shows that Adobe developers tend not to follow the links. Product developers read everything posted there, but rarely participate here, which is primarily a user-to-user forum.

This workaround worked for me when I tried it with 50 .heic files: In LR, select the files and do Photo > Edit > Edit In Photoshop. In PS, do File > Scripts > Load Files Into Stack, Add Open Files. Definitely not as convenient, but it gets the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also observed this behavior on Windows (but not Mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same behavior. I will log a bug. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround noted by John doesn't work for me. If you follow the link provided and read the full workaround description you will note this sentence: "Photoshop should open with those files (not in layers)." In my case PS does indeed open but the HEIC files are not loaded into PS; not into the intended layer nor as individual files. The workaround presumes the files are actually loaded into PS but that is not what I see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's too bad.  Definitely post a bug report as described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops ... my bad. The workaround does indeed work. I keep invoking Tools > Photoshop > Load files into Photoshop as Layers when the workaround clearly states Photo > Edit > Edit In Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating this bug report to indicate that the incorrect behaviour is still seen in the latest LrC 11 and Ps 23 releases. A helpful workaround is available here: Lr Classic 10.3 doesn't open HEIC files as layers in Photoshop  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released today and contain a fix for this issue. Please install the update via your Creative Cloud Desktop App or your respective App Store. 

Note: 

You may need to refresh the Creative Cloud App for desktop software to show an update available.  ([Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+ [ R ])

For Mobile downloads, it may take several days for the update to appear in your respective App Stores.

Thank you for your patience. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Issue confirmed to be fixed. I can now happily layer images without worrying that one might be a HEIC file.

Votes

Translate

Translate