• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC 12.2.1 fails to start/launch or is extremely slow launching.

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

LRC 12.2.1 is not starting anymore, just launches as a background process using significant amounts of RAM and CPU, but the visible window never shows up. 

I have already:

- Tried the alt-shift-click thingie.

- Tried logging out and in from CC.

- Wiping all data files from the computer and letting LRC create a fresh Lightroom folder and catalog file (sometimes it does that, sometimes it hangs before the folder is created). 

- Wiping all Adobe products with the cleaner tool and reinstalling just LRC.

- I have even formatted and reisntalled the computer (becuase it was a good time to do that anyway).

But LRC still fails. What to do next?

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎17.‎03.‎2023
OS build 19045.2728
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

One of our Prerelease Testers has a bug logged for this and we've referenced this thread to that existing bug. 

Workaround:
The team has verified this workaround has no risks. Until we can release an update, please follow these steps:

• Close LrC if open
    (the file will not show if Lightroom is open)

• Locate metrics.json file at this location: 

Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json
    (Note that Mac has two Libraries
    Make sure you are in the User Library and not the System
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates contain a final fix for this issue. After installing 12.3 it should be no longer necessary to monitor and delete the metrics.json file.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 438 Replies 438
438 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Henry9808, to build on @Rikk Flohr: Photography's reply, restart your computer before looking for the "metrics.json" file.  Otherwise, LR could be running in the background with its window not yet visible, starting very slowly, and there won't be a "metrics.json" file while LR is running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any reason Lightroom Classic stopped working. it doesnt open but i can see it in the task menager. it didnt happend immediately after the 12.1 update but later. worked perfectly until today.

32gb ram, rtx 2060... all update of windows, geforce and lightroom...

tried all methond from previous posts, like locck, renaming with old, or logging out etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the bug:

P: LrC 12.2.1 fails to start/launch or is extremely slow launching | Adobe LrC Community

• Note that this can be for both Windows and MAC
  • Note that this can be for both LrC will not start or is very slow all of a sudden
  • Note that the possible bug is under investigation
  • Note that Adobe states the possible solution attempted is not damaging

Posting basically recommends deleting or moving a specific CACH file named “metrics.json”

This file is located at:

Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json
Win: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches\metrics.

This file appears to be created if you have not opted out at Adobe.com from the Desktop App Usage . This can be changed by in the LR menu, select Help > Manage My Account, then go to Edit Profile > Privacy And Personal Data, and disable the option Desktop App Usage > Share Information On How I Use Adobe Desktop Apps.

For MACOS users, this file is by default hidden. One way around that as follows:

Restart your computer (to ensure LR isn't running, hidden).

In Finder, do the menu command Go > Go To Folder:

1.png

then in this dialog screen:

2.png

type in:

~/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom

3.png

hit the return key, and you should see something like:

4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just to let you know that even after executing "metgrics.json" file to delete to bin, my LRC still is slow to load photfiles and takes quite a time to display previews! Using Monterey & Chip Apple M1 PRO on a MacBook Pro 14inch

Hope you can resolve the issue soon

Thank you for your attention

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done everything in here that has been suggested and now LRC opens but locks up with the spinning color wheel within a couple of minutes and makes LRC not work. Any ideas on what to do for that. All my other programs on my iMac work with no problem including LR and Photpshop 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

My problem is not thta LR classic is not starting but it regularly hangs or take very long time to complete any task.

LRC suddenly stop when I, try to move to next image, open developer, open full screen, click on a menu, adjust anyting.

Sometimes window report "Not responding".

I have removed the metrics.json file and dispay GPU support without any success.

What should I do? As for now LRC is unsuable and completly unrealiable

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the complete steps for deleting the file "metrics.json" and preventing it from getting created again (as of 3/31/2023). Do these steps if Lightroom appears not to start, if it's very slow in starting, if it's very slow in normal operation, or if it uses a huge amount of memory:

1. Disable reporting of Lightroom usage back to Adobe. This option keeps getting turned back on for some people (including me), so even if you think you turned it off before:

a. In a web browser, go to this link (you may be asked to log into your Adobe account):

https://account.adobe.com/privacy#

b. Turn off option Desktop App Usage > Share Information On How I Use Adobe Desktop Apps.

2. Restart your computer. This is very important, because Lightroom might still be running in background without displaying its main window.

3. On Mac: Delete the file "metrics.json":

a. In Finder, do the menu command Go > Go To Folder

b. Copy and paste this line into the Go To Folder window:

~/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom

c. Do the Finder menu command View > As List

d. Delete the file "metrics.json"

4. On Windows: Delete the file "metrics.json":

a. In File Explorer, copy and paste this line into the address bar at the top:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches

b. Do the menu command View > Details

c. Delete the file "metrics.json"

5. Start Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KlausHR@Patrickfd@kjellr43790135, I just posted a complete list of steps to prevent the "metrics.json" problem, based on the most recent evidence of all the posts in the forums:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-launch-or-is-extre...

Even if you've tried various recipes before, go through these steps carefully, since previous posted recipes were incomplete.

If you can't complete a step or are confused by it, post back here with a full-resolution screenshot (not a phone pic) of what you see at that step.  If the steps don't help, then I recommend making a new top-level post describing your symptoms; copy/paste the output of the LR menu command Help > System Info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had the same issues but I am still running Mac OS Monterey and have not moved to Ventura ... not sure if that is related??

I followed JRE johnrellis steps as a preventive measure and to see if it helped with some map issues (such as having to go to a second image in a new folder to get the map to stop showing the most recent map from a previous folder) and it took care of that it now opens as it should as soon as I am in an image and go to the maps panel the correct map is now displayed.

Opening is now faster and navigation snappier also.

Because of previous print module problems with LRC using Ventura reported in Victori Brampton's Light Room Queen I have held off going to Ventura. Now trying to get up the nerve to do so 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all seems to be working now. Thank you for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now having uses with Lightroom Classic.   Starts ok but get the spinning wheel that just doesn't stop.   I have uninstalled LRC and restalled it.  I have resetpreferences. 

Im on a Macbook Pro with M1 chip with no other programs except for PS all linked to my CC. 

All photos are on SSD drive so loads of memory and Ram. 

Not sure what to do now, please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the metrics.json file!!!!!!!  I have the local.json but nothing that says metrics.json

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 7.15.48 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic still opens, a little slower though...syncing barely works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kerry wilcox, "I don't have the metrics.json file!!!!!!! "

If you turned off usage reporting and restarted your computer right before checking for that file, as described above, but you're still experiencing bad symptoms, then you're likely suffering from another problem. I suggest you start a new thread, describe the symptoms in detail, and copy/paste the results of the menu command Help > System Info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not start Lightroom.  I followed ALL the instructions, clicked on make the hidden files show in Windows 10.  After doing all that, C-users\username\app data\local\Adobe\lightroom\Caches\  THERE IS NO: metric.json.

What do I do NOW?  And why after 5 days is this not solved?

THIS IS COTING ME MONEY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried to open Adobe Lightroom today, I got also a window that said: "catalog not found", when I clicked again to open Lightroom, there cam e a screen that said: "Update Catalog" I clicked on that but nothing seems to happen.  BUT LIGHTROOM DOES NOT OPEN AT ALL ANYMORE.  DID THE FIX BUT THERE IS NOTHING IN THE CACHE TO DELETE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my computer there is no metrice.json file.  When I tried to open lightroom, it could not find my catalog.

And asked if I wanted to update.  I can open with an OLD catalog from 3 months ago, but I can not open lightroom with my backed up catalog from 3 days ago.  I can not open lightroom with any of the backed up catalogs.  WHEN ARE THEY FIXING THIS? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not find it also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Micke, Finland wrote:

Hi,

LRC 12.2.1 is not starting anymore, just launches as a background process using significant amounts of RAM and CPU, but the visible window never shows up. 

I have already:

- Tried the alt-shift-click thingie.

- Tried logging out and in from CC.

- Wiping all data files from the computer and letting LRC create a fresh Lightroom folder and catalog file (sometimes it does that, sometimes it hangs before the folder is created). 

- Wiping all Adobe products with the cleaner tool and reinstalling just LRC.

- I have even formatted and reisntalled the computer (becuase it was a good time to do that anyway).

But LRC still fails. What to do next?

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎17.‎03.‎2023
OS build 19045.2728
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

@berts74084431 , the file name is " metrics.json file "

You will not find the file if LrC is open or running in the background.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.3.1,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kerry Wilcox

and 

Berts74084431

Was LrC open when you looked for the file? If so, try again, but with LrC closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues. I'm on a PC and it completely crashes windows 10 for me. The same thing happens with photoshop as well. I'm guessing it's probably all the recent adobe apps that were recently updated. The work around provided doesn't work for me since I'm not on a mac. I'm unable to use either Photoshop or Lightroom as a result of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine was closed and restart performed prior. Just had the laptop in at Apple maybe a graphic card failure. 

hopefully get a new machine and test it in the next few days

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, all my other programs work fine. I can search the web and use word and do whatever else. I just can't use adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate