• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC 12.2.1 fails to start/launch or is extremely slow launching.

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

LRC 12.2.1 is not starting anymore, just launches as a background process using significant amounts of RAM and CPU, but the visible window never shows up. 

I have already:

- Tried the alt-shift-click thingie.

- Tried logging out and in from CC.

- Wiping all data files from the computer and letting LRC create a fresh Lightroom folder and catalog file (sometimes it does that, sometimes it hangs before the folder is created). 

- Wiping all Adobe products with the cleaner tool and reinstalling just LRC.

- I have even formatted and reisntalled the computer (becuase it was a good time to do that anyway).

But LRC still fails. What to do next?

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎17.‎03.‎2023
OS build 19045.2728
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

One of our Prerelease Testers has a bug logged for this and we've referenced this thread to that existing bug. 

Workaround:
The team has verified this workaround has no risks. Until we can release an update, please follow these steps:

• Close LrC if open
    (the file will not show if Lightroom is open)

• Locate metrics.json file at this location: 

Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json
    (Note that Mac has two Libraries
    Make sure you are in the User Library and not the System
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates contain a final fix for this issue. After installing 12.3 it should be no longer necessary to monitor and delete the metrics.json file.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 438 Replies 438
438 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Lightroom was closed, and I followed all the steps. I double checked -- usage reporting was already disabled but I restarted anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"No, Lightroom was closed, and I followed all the steps. I double checked -- usage reporting was already disabled but I restarted anyway."

So you're experiencing some other problem -- best to start a new thread so your problem doesn't get buried here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to open my Lightroom today and pressing "open" caused my computer to randomly restart. Not thinking of it, I went to re-open Lightroom and faced the issue of LClassic being open in Task Manager but not actually opening. Here are the problem solving attempts I made and the results:

• Rename LSCache and LSStore files > opens in task manager, not accessible.
  • Uninstall Classic, restart, install, restart, open Classic through CC and start menu > opens in task manager, not accessible.
  • Holding alt or ctrl to change catalog and preferences weren't helpful > pop-up opens and immediately goes "not responding" and doesn't come back (left it for 30mins once)
  • Renaming Lightroom folder > open in task manager, not accessible.
  • Run Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool and fresh install of cloud + lightroom classic > pop-up opens and then not responding, same as above.
  • Delete the User/AppData/Local/Adobe/Lightroom folder > Lightroom opens normally and works...however, if I close Lightroom it won't open again unless I delete the folder again.
    • Immediately after I got it opened I went to rebuild sync data and that caused Lightroom to crash. I've since gotten Lightroom open again and am rebuilding the sync data, 
  • Create new user on Windows 11 and open Lightroom Classic > Opens normally. I can close it and it will open again afterwards for now. 

Seems to be something related to my User account, but I thought the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner tool would have fixed this. Anyone else have this issue and find a solution? Preferably one that doesn't involve me trying to port all my documents and programs over to a new user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Delete the User/AppData/Local/Adobe/Lightroom folder > Lightroom opens normally and works...however, if I close Lightroom it won't open again unless I delete the folder again."

You're probably tripping over the "metrics.json" bug, in which the usage-data reporting of LR (enabled by default) causes it to crash, freeze, or start very slowly.  To make it go away for good, follow these steps precisely:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-launch-or-is-extre...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Friends, I wrote a post here about the slow performance of Lightroom, I was advised to buy a graphics adapter for 8 GB of memory. I bought RTX 3060 / 12Gb, before that I used GTX 1060/3Gb, it turns out after version 12.1 it is not enough. Now Lightroom is fast. I will check more accurately already in the process of processing. But I am happy with it now! Thank you kind people for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue.  This fixed it for me too.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noticed recently that my Lightroom Classic 12.2.1 is taking more than a minute just to open the app using my Mac Mini M1 16gb ram 256gb SSD (100 gb free)

I uninstalled the app (saving preferences) and re-installed but still same problem taking a long time to load.

My Catalog and raw files are all stored on an external fast SSD and as a test I moved the external SSD to my other Mac (Macbook Air M1 8gb 256gb) and launched the same catalog from the ext SSD and it launches instantly so I assume the problem is not related to the catalog stored on external SSD.

I then launched Lightroom Classic on my M1 Mac Mini without the external SSD connected and it still took over a minute to launch before getting the catalog cannot be found message so problem seems to be the app preferences I assume?

Any ideas how to resolve the issue would be appreciated without me havng to start from scratch and removing all my preferences/plugins/presets/settings etc...?

Plugins include - Luminar / Topaz Denoise, Sharpen, Gigapixel / Nik collection (old version)

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sootyvrs, try deleting the file "metrics.json", following the precise steps here:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-launch-or-is-extre...

The process can be a little persnickety, so follow the steps exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks.

Renaming the metrics.json file worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic crashes after macOS update 13.3.1 (program does not respond)

After macOS update 13.3.1 Lightroom Classic can no longer be started. After launching the program, LR stops responding and cannot find the catalog. The dialog box for selecting the catalog (existing catalog/ default catalog/ Quit) cannot be used because it freezes.

An uninstallation and reinstallation of Lightroom Classic was not successful.

Does anyone know the problem and a solution?

Best regards,
Mirko

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your Lightroom preferences:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html
Also see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/important-steps-for-manually-resetting-...

Quit Lightroom Classic.
macOS: Press and hold the Shift + Option keys.
Windows: Press and hold the Shift + Alt keys.
While holding down the keys, launch Lightroom Classic.
When asked, select "Yes". 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same or similar issue.  Lightroom 12.2.1 freezes on startup with at loading preferences.  Attempts to reset preferences (Shift+Opt) or start with a different catalog (Opt) result in a similar freeze.  Downgrading to any of the other 12.x releases does not change this.  Downgrading to 11.5 allows for Lightroom to start but obviously no idea due to various catalogs issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the solution  on this post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-launch-or-is-extre...

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk, that was the solution!

Thnak you very much! Mirko

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!  Thank you for the quick reply and solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the windows workaround worked for me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo, gibt es mittlerweile eine Lösung für das Problem? Ich habe nämlich genau das selbe Problem mit meinem M1 Pro MacBook Pro. Plötzlich startet Lightroom einfach nicht mehr. Software ist jeweils auf dem neuesten Stand...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that you're having the same issue as described in below linked thread. Please, follow the instructions provided in the post pinned just under the original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11th April 2023

This exact same propblem is occuring to me!

I have wasted all moring trying to fix it.

Trash preferences.

Restarted.

Still hangs on "Reading Preferences".....

Currently reinstalling lightroom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be experiencing the issue described in below linked thread. Please, follow the instructions in the pinned post just below the original post and report back as to whether doing so has resolved your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes thank you that fixed it.

delete metrics file!

Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json

NowI have to spend the rest of the day undoing all the failed suggestions at fixing this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming.

Note that your posts may be moved/merged into the thread I linked above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this fixed my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check whether the solution provided in the pinned reply at below linked post helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate