• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC 12.2.1 fails to start/launch or is extremely slow launching.

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

LRC 12.2.1 is not starting anymore, just launches as a background process using significant amounts of RAM and CPU, but the visible window never shows up. 

I have already:

- Tried the alt-shift-click thingie.

- Tried logging out and in from CC.

- Wiping all data files from the computer and letting LRC create a fresh Lightroom folder and catalog file (sometimes it does that, sometimes it hangs before the folder is created). 

- Wiping all Adobe products with the cleaner tool and reinstalling just LRC.

- I have even formatted and reisntalled the computer (becuase it was a good time to do that anyway).

But LRC still fails. What to do next?

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎17.‎03.‎2023
OS build 19045.2728
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

One of our Prerelease Testers has a bug logged for this and we've referenced this thread to that existing bug. 

Workaround:
The team has verified this workaround has no risks. Until we can release an update, please follow these steps:

• Close LrC if open
    (the file will not show if Lightroom is open)

• Locate metrics.json file at this location: 

Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json
    (Note that Mac has two Libraries
    Make sure you are in the User Library and not the System
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates contain a final fix for this issue. After installing 12.3 it should be no longer necessary to monitor and delete the metrics.json file.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 438 Replies 438
438 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted ~/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json and 

~/Library/Caches/Adobe/LightroomCC/metrics.json

Then did this:

Close Lightroom

Restart the computer

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Lightroom

Restart the computer

Install Lightroom via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.

Restart the computer

Launch Lightroom

Wait 5 minutes

Now I am up and running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming that your up and running again. Hopefully, it will it will continue that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made changes to the sync preferences for Lightroom Classic after which it willnot open. It gets stuck with the splash screen reading preferences. I have tried starting with reset preferences, but that does not help. I have uninstalled and re-installed Lightroom and restarted my computer many times. I have also tried MAC safe mode to now success.

I even started in terminal mode. Here is the output:

Last login: Wed Apr 12 08:26:22 on console

/Applications/Adobe\ Lightroom\ Classic/Adobe\ Lightroom\ Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Lightroom\ Classic ; exit;

paul@Pauls-iMac ~ % /Applications/Adobe\ Lightroom\ Classic/Adobe\ Lightroom\ Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Lightroom\ Classic ; exit;

*** GPU Warning: GPU3 failed (previous) sanity test ***

[0412/090405.990629:WARNING:dns_config_service_posix.cc(291)] Failed to read DnsConfig.

objc[3411]: Class GUDEAsyncToken is implemented in both /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Lightroom Classic (0x104496a00) and /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/PlugIns/AdobeHeadlights.lrmodule/Contents/MacOS/AdobeHeadlights (0x1212aef20). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[3411]: Class MacGUDEUtils is implemented in both /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Lightroom Classic (0x104496a50) and /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/PlugIns/AdobeHeadlights.lrmodule/Contents/MacOS/AdobeHeadlights (0x1212aef70). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[3411]: Class PlatformFileOStream is implemented in both /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Lightroom Classic (0x104496aa0) and /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/PlugIns/AdobeHeadlights.lrmodule/Contents/MacOS/AdobeHeadlights (0x1212aefc0). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[3411]: Class GUDERequestCFNetwork is implemented in both /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Lightroom Classic (0x104496af0) and /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/PlugIns/AdobeHeadlights.lrmodule/Contents/MacOS/AdobeHeadlights (0x1212af010). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[3411]: Class ChunkInputStreamFactory is implemented in both /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Lightroom Classic (0x104496b40) and /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/PlugIns/AdobeHeadlights.lrmodule/Contents/MacOS/AdobeHeadlights (0x1212af060). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[3411]: Class SeekableInputStream is implemented in both /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Lightroom Classic (0x104496bb8) and /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/PlugIns/AdobeHeadlights.lrmodule/Contents/MacOS/AdobeHeadlights (0x1212af0d8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[3411]: Class GUDERequest is implemented in both /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Lightroom Classic (0x104496c08) and /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/PlugIns/AdobeHeadlights.lrmodule/Contents/MacOS/AdobeHeadlights (0x1212af128). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[3411]: Class GUDERequestNSURL is implemented in both /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Lightroom Classic (0x104496c30) and /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/PlugIns/AdobeHeadlights.lrmodule/Contents/MacOS/AdobeHeadlights (0x1212af150). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[3411]: Class HttpSession is implemented in both /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Lightroom Classic (0x104496c80) and /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/PlugIns/AdobeHeadlights.lrmodule/Contents/MacOS/AdobeHeadlights (0x1212af1a0). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

I want a fix for this very quickly, as I cannot use Lightroom Classic. Lightroom and Photoshop work. I think there are other users experiencing the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightoom Classic keeps creating a giant file called "metrics.json" in %localappdata%\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches. Once the file gets big enough, Lightroom fails to even show the startup splash, and takes hours parsing the file, taking up tens of gigabytes of RAM. I've never seen it actually complete and continue starting. If I delete metrics.json, Lightroom starts right up, but later creates it again.

Right now, metrics.json is 1.09GB. Why? Is it telemetry? After searching around for a utility that would even show this large a file, it doesn't even appear to have recognizable text or proper JSON in it. And it's seemingly all on one line, so if I try to use PowerShell, it runs out of memory:

PS C:\Users\user> get-content "%localappdata%\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches\metrics.json" -totalcount 1
get-content : Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
At line:1 char:1
+ get-content "%localappdata%\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches\metrics.json"
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-Content], OutOfMemoryException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ProviderContentReadError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetContentCommand

I'm running the latest version of Lightroom Classic, 12.2.1, on Windows 10 22H2. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: PhotographyYou said it's not necessary to remove metrics.json more than once, but LrC has created a multi-gigabyte metrics.json on my system twice now. After expending a bunch of effort to try and see what's in the file since almost nothing will open it due to its size, it doesn't even appear to be proper JSON - it just looks like garbage, with lines long enough that PowerShell runs out of memory when "get-content -TotalCount 1" is used to just get the first line.

I'm extraordinarly displeased. If I'm understanding this thread correctly:

1. This was found in prerelease testing for 12.2.1, and the release happened anyway without even an inkling of a fix, or  engineering even having a sample metrics.json to debug
  2. The file is for storing telemetry data, and Adobe seemingly could have turned off this functionality service-side to prevent users from hitting the bug without a patch, but didn't
  3. This has remained unpatched for over a month now (the bad version was released March 8)

This is incredibly disappointing, and as people have reported here, has kept people from getting paid work done. And it's for telemetry, a non-critical feature purely for Adobe's benefit that seemingly could've been shut off remotely while it's broken given the setting lives on Adobe.com. What's the ETA for a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted in the thread you linked to, the metrics.json files can be deleted. 

The file itself is for 'Analytics'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be experiencing the issue described in the thread linked below. Others have managed to get LrC running by following the instructions provided in the pinned reply just under the first post. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-launch-or-is-extre...

Note that that this post will likely be merged with the linked thread at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it can be - I said in my post I've deleted it before. But it gets recreated, again at an absurd size. Deleting it manually each time after it's written a bunch of garbage to disk isn't an acceptable solution after over a month. Adobe seemingly could've turned off the telemetry feature remotely to avoid the bug if they weren't going to fix it, especially when they apparently knew about the bug prior to release based on the linked post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kbrice  I've seen very few reports of the work around being needed more than one time. In my case (only affected 1 computer out of 6), it only required a single application of the workaround.  A permanent fix will be released soon and that should provide you relief.  

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kbrice, you can turn off the usage-data reporting following the steps here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-launch-or-is-extre... 

A couple of weeks ago, it kept getting turned back on for at least a couple of us, but it seems to stay off permanently for me now.

I poked in the contents of the file, and it's clearly not a pure JSON file, though it contains JSON:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/lrc-cache-causing-crash-metrics-json-but-why.47409/... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the tips and tricks. Lightroom Classic is working again and hopefully that metrics.json file does not get created. The original was 9 GB of pointless information. So happy there was a way to get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic won't start after installing Lightroom on macbook pro running Ventura. I tried unintalling both, restarted my laptop  and reinstalled Lightroom classic, restarting laptop again. No luck - I have to force quit using activity monitor. I tried restting the preferences by holding shift-option while clicking the icon and the porgram still hangs up and I have to force quit. I tried double clicking my catalog file and that doesn't work either. Any ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take a look here: P: LrC 12.2.1 fails to start/launch or is extremel... - Adobe Support Community - 13673512

Please check Rick's pinned anwser if it's help.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.4 - Photoshop 25.11 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour à tous mon Lightroom est bloqué à l'ouverture sur la page sélectionner le catalogue sur la page ouverture principale sur préférence de lecture et rien ne se passe quand je clique, le rond de couleur tourne en permanence... 

merci de votre aide 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be experiencing the issue described in the thread I've linked below. Please carry out the steps set out in pinned reply near top of the linked thread. Let us know whether it helps or not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thxxxxxx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRC is running very slow.  My 2020 Apple desktop is using Ventura 13.2.1.  Memory:  32GB 2400 MHz DDR4.  Graphics:  Radeon Pro 580A 8 GB.  All Apple Care could tell me is that it is a LR issue.  And in truth, this slow down only takes place when I use LRC.  I typically process 30mb Raw files from my camera.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting the file "metrics.json", following the precise steps here:

The process can be a little persnickety, so follow the steps exactly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Thank you! This worked adn I so appreciate the detailed instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Worked for me too… LRC 12.2.1 OS X Ventura 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System: Mac mini M2 Pro; MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 (but issue predates that). LRc 12.2.1 (Universal).

The machine was set up as new a month or so ago, and initially LRc launch with impressive speed even after having all my 30k+ images imported. Most images are on a external HD via USB-C, which is new and formatted as APFS. Only the last month or sos pics are kept on the internal HD, before being archived to the extHD

Troubleshooting done:

• Optimised catalogue;
  • Trashed prefs;
  • Trashed any caches I could find;
  • Tried with GPU disabled;
  • Tested with folders all collapsed (as suggested in earlier version of this issue).

None had any impact.

Interesting finding (I think):

I launched with option-shift down, expecting to see the Reset Prefs screen (per the help pages here, which need updating) but instead got the Choose a Catalog screen (I only have one). Now, here it gets interesting because I got the spinning beachball for roughly as long as it takes Lightroom to start up - and once it finished that, I chose the one and only catalog and, despite me having it do an integrity check, it loaded very quickly.

This suggests to me that whatever is causing this slow down is happening before the catalog is loaded.

At which point I get stuck.

Sysinfo attached.

Any more ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@iancundell - Try the workaround in the Pinned Post

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I just found that and it worked like a charm.

Many thanks (sorry - didn't spot the pinned post in my searching).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for me. I have a Mac with Ventura 13.3.1 and Lightroom classic 12.2.1. I don't think I changed anything and now it doesn't start. I've tried launching with default preferences. I've deleted and reinstalled. I've deleted Photoshop and others adobe products. I updated my operating system. I've deleted the metrics.json file. No luck. I have the "Problem Report" that is getting sent to Apple. Any other suggestions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate