Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Map Module not working 11.3.1 on some Windows installations

LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 11 21H2

If you shut down Lightroom Classic 11.3.1 with the Library Module showing, then re-launch later, the Map Module works fine.

If you shut down Lightroom Classic 11.3.1 with the Map Module showing, and then re-launch later, the Map Module is not usable. The exact form of the error changes, its not always the same, sometimes I get JavaScript error, sometimes the Map Module just freezes, other times it has other errors, but the Map Module simply doesn't work in this situation.

Bug Started
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Try going to Library, then exiting LR.  After restarting LR, does the Map now work?  Many on Windows, and a few on Mac, have observed that the Map module can start behaving badly if you last exited LR from the Map module.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Adding bug number

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
115 Comments
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merged

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the original person to post about this problem (on April 21), I should note that the "workaround" many people have reported where closing/opening LRC while in the library allows maps to work while doing so in the map panel does not allow maps to work, does not fix the problem for me. Maps do not work in 11.3.1 no matter what panel is active when I close LRC. The only way I can get them to work is to revert entirely to 11.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Exactly my experience

Sent from my Galaxy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(LR v11.3.1) Sometime today, the map module has stopped working. Going to the map, it only loads the few cached tiles from before it stopped working and clicking any photo or its geotag pin fails to load the location in the map.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to Library, then exiting LR.  After restarting LR, does the Map now work?  Many on Windows, and a few on Mac, have observed that the Map module can start behaving badly if you last exited LR from the Map module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that seems to have gotten me back on track. Weird bug I hadn't encountered before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with this existing bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-map-module-not-working-11-3-1-on-some-window...

While the subject says "windows installations", there are now three reports that it sometimes happens on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem with the Map module (LR Classic 11.3.1) on MacOS (12.3.1, latest):

1/ sometimes unable to drag a photo to add geolocation. Sometimes its works after relaunch.

2/ the Hybrid (Google) Map is displayed in 3D version after a zoom level, but sometimes by just dragging (same zoom) the map to another location. Very strange and annoying.

Bugs about the Map Module in LRC > 11.3 have now been reported for a month at least, and nothing from Adobe? For the price of the subscription, we are waiting for a better support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hybrid 3D map is also a major annoyance. Makes it very hard to pinpoint a photo's location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the Hybrid (Google) Map is displayed in 3D version after a zoom level, but sometimes by just dragging (same zoom) the map to another location. Very strange and annoying."

There's a separate bug thread about the random appearance of 3D view:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/map-module-it-s-not-birdseye-view-rathe...

Please add to that thread: Your precise version of LR (not "latest"), your operating system, observations about when it comes and goes. Unless there's a way to reliably repeat the problem, Adobe is unlikely to pay attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Map module continues to not function in Lightroom Classic 11.4 released today.

As the original poster of this problem >7 weeks ago, I will again emphasize that shutting down Lightroom in the library module and then opening and changing to maps does not fix the problem for me (although it appears to for some other users). The module only works if I revert to LRC 11.2. Every version since, 11.3, 11.3.1, and 11.4 has the same error as I originally reported and which others have confirmed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fixed-bug list for 11.4 doesn't list this bug:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/fixed-issues.html 

I continue to see the same symptoms I observed before, the map module not displaying pins or allowing drag-and-drop of photos to the map, but only when LR was last exited from the Map module, and only on my Windows installation, not on my Mac.

Maybe there are two different bugs here, one for whom the restart workaround is effective and the other not.  Or maybe it's the same bug and we just don't know all the conditions affecting the sometimes-workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another two weeks, another update, another failure to fix this bug, which is now over two months old. Still getting same "Unable to connect to Adobe servers. Map module will not work." message in version 11.4.1. Whether I close the LRC with the map module active/open or not makes no difference. Reverting back to 11.2 yet again.

And I don't recall if I reported it before, but I've tested this on two different computers from two different manufacturers and have the same problem on both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lr CC version 11.4.1 on a MacBook Pro M1Pro.  

When I select photos in the strip at the bottom and drag to a location on the map the pictures are not added.  It looks like it is grabbing them, but the little callout window is blank. I remember in the past when it worked that it would indicate the number.  Get something spinning- but nothing happens.  I am connected to the internet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first tried the Map module just now on my LR 11.4.1 / Mac OS,  I observed similar behavior: Dragging two photos to the map didn't create a map pin. But after restarting LR it's now behaving correctly.  Hmm. 

In general, the Map module is flaky and Adobe has shown little interest in making it more reliable.  But try these troubleshooting steps:

1. Go to Library, then restart LR and go to Map. Sometimes Map misbehaves when you exit LR in Map and then restart it.

2. Try resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the map issue with even the new 11.4.1. update.  Running Windows 11 Home and all latest updates to windows and Nvidia Going back to 11.2 solves the problem.  Tried reinstalling after going back to 11.2 nad still the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a nightmare. I had to roll back to earlier version so I can use the map module and it looks like I have to stay rolled back and miss out on the new improvements to lightroom with the masking etc

Sent from my Galaxy

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue in 11.4.1.

Any update Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i have LR  ver 11.4.1.

Got this error message in the map module - This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details.

What can be the reason?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your browser, at your location, can you bring up maps.google.com  ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug has been reported. Switch to Library Module, shut down LrC, and then re-open LrC and it should work.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-map-module-not-working-11-3-1-on-some-window...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes ! its a bug, see other reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

done

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It needs to be clear that the "solution" of shutting down LR in the Library than reopening it does NOT work for everyone. It's worth trying as it apparently helps some users, but it is not a global workaround. The only way many of us have been able to get the map module to work is to revert to LRC 11.2, as the bug was obviously introduced in (and continues to persist since) the 11.3 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate