Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Nikon Z8 Firmware 2.0 breaks tether in Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Zusammen,

seit dem Firmware-Update 2.0 auf die Z8 ist kein USB Tethering mit Lightroom mehr möglich. 

In LR 13.2 Windows bekomme ich keine Verbindung zu stande.  Im Windows Explorer habe ich Zugriff, und auch mit Camera Control Pro klappt das Tethering.

Aktuell forogr. mit Cam. Control Pro in einen von Lightroom automatisch überwachten Ordner – das geht, jedoch ist die Übertragung gefühlt viel langsammer als vor dem Firmware Update und mit LR Tethering Steuerung. Wer hat ähnliche Erfahrungen / kann mir helfen !

Vielen Dank. !

System:
Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Lightroom 13.2

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

We've contacted the manufacturer and advised them of the issue. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 102 Replies 102
102 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version 2 firmware update for the Z8 broke tethering, and Adobe has acknowledged this issue and contacted Nikon about it. But neither Nikon nor Adobe have provided an update that fixes the issue yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography@Rick Spaulding -, please consider merging with this Bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-nikon-z8-firmware-2-0-breaks-tether-in-light...

By @John R Ellis

Done.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 -- LR-Classic 13.4 - Photoshop 25.11 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 -- LR-Classic 13.4 - Photoshop 25.11 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moin - Ja, das Problem besteht seit dem Firmware Update auf 2.0 / 2.1. Tethering mit Lightroom funktioniert sofort mit einem downgrade auf die alte 1.x Version ( gibt es bei Nikon nicht mehr als download). Die Z9 hat mit dem dem Tethering über Lightroom kein Problem. Meiner Ansicht hat Nikon mit der der 2.x Version einen Bug bzgl. Tethering eingebaut - sagt aber bis heute, dass sie bzgl. Fremdprodukte keine Angaben machen... Bleibt also nur z.B. Nikon NX Tether zu benutzen, oder zu warten bis der Bug beseitigt ist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Die Lösung ist gut, habe ich auch schon verwendet. Nur leider wird die Übertragung der Bilder mit der Menge der Bilder immer langsamer. Muss am Import von LR Classik ligen . Aber immerhin funktioniert es bis Adobe vielleicht mal eine Lösung findet, so in einem Jahr 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, please explain to me why it has not been working for a few months with the new update of the Nikon Z8 version 2 or 2.01? While this still works with free software like DIGIAMCONTROL, you pay a subscription to supposedly be entitled to regular updates. But these don't even solve the problems, it's been going on for several months, maybe it's not important for Adobe, but while free software still works. we are only good at paying subscriptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update on the Tethering Odyssee with the Z 8. In my case, Windows 11 and a notebook were involved. While LrC did not detect the camera, Windows 11 listed it in Device Manager as Mobile Device IIRC. As LrC has a "Watch Folder" concept for tethering with unsupported cameras, I reverted to Nikon NX Tether. That did not complete installing, however reported success of installation. Well, it was nowhere to be found. So I turtned to Nikon for this. That became a dragging process of asking similar questions and took weeks. Educated in photography school for professional photographers, as well as in academia in a.o. software engineering of AI, and consultancy in enterprise IT, I have a different perspective than youngters and helpdesk agents, or contemporary programmers.

The NX Tether install script was not robust in error handling and while a step failed, reported success. Nikon certify it will work with preinstalled Windows 10/11, but it didn't. It semed to step through phases that likely need Admin clearance more than once as the script did not pass on its initial clearancce properly.

I got so fed up that I bought an upgrade license for Windows 11 Pro. Theory says that this is authorising usage of what is already there, but the process took a couple hours in total. When done, I installled Nikon NX Tether. This time, the progress bar did not become red, but remained green when it filled. And it reported success.

I started the app that actually was there. "No camera". Correct. Took the Z 8, to it connected the long USB-C..USB-C TetherTools tethering cable, plugged the other end into the notebook, switched it on, fired a few shots, that turned up in the set location.

This was wham bam thank you mam ("camera" is a female word in Latin grammar).

No issues.

Then I fell ill and probably next week, when the pains and fever are over, I will go into the studio to check out LrC.

Nikon's attitude was, when I fed them back this result, that "they could not replicate the problem, it was solved on their end now, and for LrC I needed to go to Adobe."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soweit ich da mitbekommen habe, funktioniert der Umweg über Nikon NX, aber direkt über LR Classic geht es mit der Nikon Z8 und Firmware 2,001 noch immer nicht? Da ich aus Sicherheitsgründen wider die Nikon Firmware 1.002 drauf habe, würde ich gerne wissen, ob das Tethering  jetzt auch mit LR C und Nikon z8 Firmware 2.0(2.001 funktioniert? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC 13.4 does not "see" the Z 8 (FW version 2.01).

As pro LrC users, we still need LrC to get better, robust, tether software code.

To my notebook, I upgraded my preinstalled Windows 11 from Home to Pro and now Nikon NX Tether installs properly.

NX Tether sees the camera immediately. So, Nikon's installation script with NX Tether was not robust, but once it installs properly it works flawlessly.

So if you want to tether into LrC 13.4, you tether into NX Tether and open/set LrC to look for new images in a "watch folder".

If set up properly, LrC will import from there. And you can do your LrC/ACR-Ps things to the images.

Capture One worked without problem. Install, run, tether.

I'm about to try Smart Shooter from Tether Tools too, in order to see how it differs from NX Tether and if it works out of the box.

We need to be aware of the cables we use, by the way. "USB-C" is just a connector specification and does not inform in itself what a cable can do for you. Cheap cables may offer you USB protocol version 2 with USB-C connectors, while another cable offers USB protocol version 4 plus Thunderbolt 3/4 and 100W power delivery for charging a powerful notebook.

Thether Tools long USB-C .. USB-C (m..m) cable offers some 10 Gbps with 60W power relay. They also have a m..f version with a signal amplifier at the f end that runs twice as fast. Your camera cannot give you these speeds in wireless connection modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gibt es denn noch keine zufriedenstellende Antwort von Adobe, warum seit fast 1/2 Jahr das USB. Tethering Ab Firmware 2.01 bei der Nikon Z8 nicht funktioniert ? 
Gibt es bei Nikon einen Ansprechpartner ? 

Habe mir das erstmal seit vielen Jahren die Website von Capture One angesehen !!! - Möchte aber gerne bei Lightroom bleiben ohne Komprimisse einzugehen !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievable - we should talk to the media on CNN -;) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nein. English is a foreign language to me and you, so I'll use that. (German is foreign too, to me, so it seems fair between us if we both use a non-native language.) Also, once upon a time, the inter-language in NW Europe was Frankish - "lingua franca" - now it's English.

From my conversation with Adobe, I get the impression it has no priority to them and "they relayed the issue to Nikon".

The implication of woolly, cloudy, muddy text was that they may feel it works with (free) Nikon NX Tether and LrC's "watch folder" option.

To me that's not good enough on all llevels, but it works.

Is it elegant? No.

But if you really need to tether into LrC, it can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Das kann man nicht verstehen, keine Kommunikation an wem es nun liegt, kein Fix, kein nix

Schade schade.

Bleibt halt nur die möglichkeit mit dem überwachtem Ordner, NX T. ist zu langsam, deswegen nutze ich Helicon Remoute, funzt ausreichen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As indicated in my other replies and input in this thread, I suffered from the same problem and got a bit farther.

My problem context: (i) powerful workstation with Windows 10 Pro could (a) detect the Z 8 immediately at Device Manager level, (b) could tether into LrC, (c) could tether into Nikon NX Tether. The workstation is earmarked to the post office and will never go into the studio.

(ii) powerful notebook originally running preinstalled Windows 10 (Home) that I updated to Windows 11 (Home) (a) detected the Z 8 at Device Manager level, but (b) could not install NX Tether. Tethering into LrC did not work in any way and (c) LrC did not detect the camera. The notebook is earmarked to tethering in the studio.

Solutions:

(iii) I discussed the NX Tether installation issue with Nikon and (a) this was completely dissatisfactory in that it took too long and solved nothing, so (b) I bought an upgrade license from Windows Home to Pro, (c) upgraded the notebook's Windows from 11 Home to 11 Pro, (d) created a normal user account and a system admoinistrator account on it, and (e) successfully installed NX Tether and (f) it worked flawlessly.

(iv) Once NX Tether worked, (a) I set up LrC in a different way and that worked. (b) here I use NX Tether to tether images from the Z 8 into the computer, and (c) set up LrC to watch the folder where NX Tether places my images. One thing (d) bugs me in that LrC copies the images again to another location - probably my configuration dumbness but it's not intuitively transparent.

(v) Nikon released a new version of NX Tether (2.01) with support for new Z 9 firmware and support for Z 5iii. I hope that they (b) fixed the installation, but can no longer test that.

(vi) Adobe (a) has released several updates in the mean time, but (b) there is no improvement here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unglaublich das es für das Direkte Tethering mit Lightroom Classic noch immer keine Lösung gibt und sich jeder hier einen Umweg bauen muss. Enttäuschung ist so groß, dass mir schon die Worte fehlen. Habt ihr schon Informationen, ob es dieses Jahr noch eine Lösung gibt ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2024 Sep 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im following this. It sucs paying monthly with an app I cant use with nikon z8 tethering. Im considering stopping my subscription .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tether my Z8 and Z9 into Lightroom Classic every day, imported via Nikon's Tether software. I described that process in this forum in full detail months ago, so please follow this thread (backwatds).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo zusammen!

Habe gerade im Chat mit einem Mittarbeiter gechattet und gefragt, ob und wann das Problem mit dem Tethering mit der Z8 nach dem Firmware update behoben wird. Lapidare Antwort- es sei ein Firmengeheimnis ob und wann ein Update kommt der dieses Problem löst.
Bin sehr frustriert über diese Antwort - und keine Lösung in Sicht ....

Wünsche trotzdem einen geruhsamen Abend

Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ja, so eine ähnliche Antwort habe ich von Adobe und Nikon auch schon im Feb 2024 bekommen. 

Ist schon etwas merkwürdig das ganze

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot tethered directly to LR with no issues on a Mac laptop with my Z9. I can not with my Z8. Makes no sense at all.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im aware of this workaround. Its sucks that it used to work before the update. But  it works on z9. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using my Z8 with Nikon “Tether” firmware as my importer, I simply have LRC designate that same “Tether” folder as its “Auto Import” source.

The folder must be empty when pointing LRC’s “Auto Import” at it, but then a single image must be in it for LRC to import the folder. So the sequencing of those needs correctly is the only way it can work. I described those steps here a couple of months ago, if you need more detail, please follow that thread.

Sent from my iPhone

Joe Boris
Boris Photography, Inc.
joe@borisphotography.com
404.377.7707 Studio
404.580.3393 Mobile
http://www.JOEBORIS.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2024 Sep 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bi heute 17.09.2024 wurde dieses Bug immer noch nicht behoben - bin auch wie viele andere sehr enttäuscht von ADOBE ! - Ein Unding ! Ich werde mir wohl ein anderen Tethering-Workflow erarbeiten mit einem anderen Programm. Das Überwachen eines Ordners in LR (automat. Synchronisation) dauert mir viel zu lange und ist bei People-Shootings sehr hinderlich. 

Wie können wir als Community mehr Druck auf Adobe bzw. Nikon ausüben ? 
Mit Social Media, TV etc.. -;) oder wenn jeder 2. auf LinkedIn Nachrichten an den CEO schreibt viel. hilft dass ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate