• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No photos in selected folder (Mac)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over 60,000 images on an external hard drive.  Today when I opened Lightroom and tried to navigate to a recent image using the Navigator Panel, the folders and subfolders are all showing the numbers of photos inside the folder, but when I click on a subfolder it says "No photos in the selected Folder".  When I check the Finder they are there.  If I go to the highest level of parent folder on that external drive all 60,000 images are showing at that level and I can scroll through them.  But when I drill down to any lower level that the very highest, they are not there.  I have not done any moving of files or folders in the last several months and up until today everything was working fine.  I have not installed any new plugins or done anything out of the ordinary with Lightroom recently.  Any idea why this is happening and more importantly how I can fix it?  I've included a couple of screenshots to show what I'm talking about.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Logged bug
Attached catalog
Setting status to investigating

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

We have a bug logged for this. At this time reverting to 12.1 should restore immediate functionality until we can release an update. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 153 Replies 153
153 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@julief57036690, my LR 12.2 / Mac OS 12.6.1 opened your .lrcat file and observed the same misbehavior as you did:

johnrellis_0-1677113766340.png

with the parent folder "Volumes" incorrectly displayed.  When I right-clicked "/" and did Hide Parent Folder, nothing happened (as you observed). And like you, when I opened the catalog in LR 12.1, clicking on individual folders displayed their contained photos. 

This strongly indicates that the catalog has internal inconsistencies ("corruption") that trip up LR 12.2 but not 12.1.

Please keep that zipped catalog folder available on Dropbox -- I'm hoping that Adobe will take a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography@julief57036690 provided me with a Dropbox link to a catalog that opens correctly in LR 12.1 but not LR 12.2, on her computer as well as mine. See above.

Please move to Bugs and capture a copy of the catalog from Julie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking time to look into this for me.  One thing to note, even when I rolled back to 12.1, the folders still showed up under "/" and "Volumes" appearing as if they are on my Macbook rather than my external hard drive.  However, the difference is that with 12.1 I can see the images inside all the subfolders, which I could not do when I was using 12.2.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@julief57036690hopefully, Adobe will take a look at your catalog and eventually resolve whatever bug caused the issue.

Meanwhile, the following workaround corrected the catalog corruption in my LR 12.2:

1. Create a new catalog.

2. Do the menu command File > Import From Another Catalog, select the original catalog, and use these options:

johnrellis_0-1677114711611.png

3. When it completed, the problem with the root folders / and /Volumes was fixed, and clicking on an individual folder showed the photos in the folder:

johnrellis_1-1677114789579.png

All the collections got copied over as well.  Luckily, the original catalog didn't contain any publish services (e.g. Flickr), since Import From Another Catalog won't import the associated published collections.

If you try this workaround, be sure to keep a backup of the original catalog!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!  I will try this tomorrow.  I will be sure to keep a backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"even when I rolled back to 12.1, the folders still showed up under "/" and "Volumes" appearing as if they are on my Macbook rather than my external hard drive.  However, the difference is that with 12.1 I can see the images inside all the subfolders, which I could not do when I was using 12.2."

I observed the same thing. In LR 12.1.  I was able to do Hide Parent on "/" and "Volumes" in LR 12.1, which fixed the problems when I reopened the catalog in LR 12.2.  However, the Hide Parent commands took over 1.5 hours on my computer, which is why I suggested the other workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@julief57036690 @johnrellis  I will need a link to the catalog to review this. Can someone provide the link in a direct message?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logged bug
Attached catalog
Setting status to investigating

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your work around, but it didn't get rid of the "/" parent folder or the "Volumes" parent folder.  I still don't know how those got created as I never intentionally created them.  I've included a screenshotScreenshot 2023-02-23 at 1.33.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I tried your work around, but it didn't get rid of the "/" parent folder or the "Volumes" parent folder."

Which workaround: Using Import From Another Catalog in LR 12.2, or doing Hide This Parent in LR 12.1?  

"I still don't know how those got created as I never intentionally created them." 

It's clearly a bug. But there have been just a few instances of those symptoms reported over the years, so it must be some obscure sequence of events that triggers it.  Hopefully, Adobe will be able to infer the root cause by examining your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the work around using LR 12.1. Should I have used 12.2?  In any event, it sounds like I should wait to hear what the Adobe expert finds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! So basically this is what’s going on. I’ve been working with Lightroom for years and now that I updated the last version it says this message NO PHOTOS IN SELECTED FOLDER when I know I have photos in those folders plus I can see there is the total number of images in the folders but somehow they don’t show up. I checked the hardisks and they work fine. 

Hope I can find a solution for this asap.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been a couple other reports about this. Initial troubleshooting steps:

1. Please post a full-resolution screenshot (not a phone pic) of the entire LR window showing the problem.

2. Do the LR menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the entire contents here so we can see exactly which versions of hardware and software LR thinks you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem which has rendered my Lightroom useless.  Do I need to post the same info or can we just the info from Chris?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour à tous. Je souhaite vous faire part d'un problème concernant Lightroom. Depuis la dernière mise à jour, les photos de mon catalogue stockées sur mon NAS n'apparaissent plus ! Elles sont toujours sur le disque dur, le dossier sur LR indique bien le nombre de photos présentes, mais la fenêtre d'affichage indique laconiquement "Aucune photo dans la sélection de dossier". Je suis complètement désemparé. Si jamais quelqu'un d'entre vous a une idée, je lui vouerai une reconnaissance éternelle 😉 D'avance merci.Capture d’écran 2023-02-26 à 09.42.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

La seule idée qui me vienne, bien cela ne correspond pas parfaitement au cas de figure que vous évoquez, serait la désactivation de la ligne « Afficher les photos dans les sous-dossiers  » (Menu Bibliothèque)… Je suis arrivé au même type d'affichage que celui que vous avez illustré et je pense que cela vaut, au moins, la peine de vérifier (i. e. d'essayer).

Bien cordialement,

Balliet JMCapture d’écran 2023-02-26 à 14.47.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, et merci pour le tuyau.

Malheureusement, il est sans effet...

Je pense que je suis bon pour recréer une bibliothèque, mais avec 1000 000 photos, cela va prendre du temps 😕Capture d’écran 2023-02-26 à 15.57.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please post that information too.  It may or may not be the same problem, and since it's a new problem, details will help Adobe diagnose it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your catalog on the NAS, or are  Photos on the NAS, or both on the NAS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My catalog is on my local hard disk and my photos are on the NAS. This organisation ran perfectly for many years, and it stopped since the last update of LRC, but I can see theses photos when I use Photoshop... Strange, no ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so frustrated with Lightroom Classic.  I feel like there is always a problem and this one I cannot solve.

I am trying to view photos in a folder that I know has files.  I can see them on the hard drive.  I have syncronized my photos.  I have restarted from a back up.  I have refreshed and optimized.  I am just not sure what to do at this point.  I just started a new catalog in January, but I will redo if necessary.  Any advice would be appreacited. 

Thank you!!!!

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some other reports of this but you screen clip does not show a folder is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captura de Pantalla 2023-02-26 a las 21.21.46.pngCaptura de Pantalla 2023-02-26 a las 21.22.59.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the 2009 folder was selected.  I read some of the other posts and thought that I had it solved.  But alas, I didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2009 doesn't look selected but here is another post on the issue.  If you could, post your system specs in this other thread

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/no-photos-in-selected-folder/td-p/13607...

Votes

Translate

Translate