• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Opening photos in Photoshop from LrC using Edit In does not work correctly for some operations

LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Lightroom CC2015.7 and Photoshop CC2015.5.1

1 )If Photoshop is CLOSED and then I "Open as Layers ....." the computer will just sit there doing nothing.  If I click Photoshop to open it then the operation will complete and the photos will be layered.  I THINK THIS IS BUGGY BEHAVIOR

As a side note, this BUG affects the Panorama and HDR the same way.   Photoshop has to be opened manually.  The "Open as Smart Object works correctly.

2) If Photoshop is OPEN and then I "Open as Layers ...." the photos will open as layers in Photoshop

3 )If Photoshop is CLOSED and I  "Edit in Adobe Photoshop ..." Photoshop will open and the two photos are loaded as separate objects.  This is the expected behavior.

I think this is a change in behavior in Lightroom CC2015.7

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
81 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Simon for the update on these problems. It is very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom system info says

Config.lua flags:
EditExternally.OverridePhotoshopPath = /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.app

My Photoshop system info says
Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you check again? What is the name of your Photoshop app? On my system it is Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5.app (note the .5 after 2015), I suspect yours will be the same. In which case you need to correct the config.lua entry to add that .5 to the app name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were right. Thanks for catching that. The thing is I've made the correction and still have the problem. LR System Info now reads,

Config.lua flags:
EditExternally.OverridePhotoshopPath = /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5.app

...which is the same as the contents of my Config.lua file

Here is the OS system info about the PS app. As far as I can see, the path I've specified above should be correct, right?

Something strange just happened. I restarted LR (PS was already open), immediately selected one picture and had "Edit in" appear functional. I then selected several items and tried "Edit in" and it was non functional. I then restarted LR, choose one item, "Edit in" appeared functional so I choose it... but nothing happened. PS is running, but the item did not open in it. Going back to LR, "Edit in" is now greyed out!

After some experiments, it seems "Edit in" mostly appears (although it still does not work) with the image that is preselected when LR first opens. After selecting an image "Edit in" goes grey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue. Here is some regarding my experience with the problem.

I have 2 computers, one is a Mac (10.12) and the other is a PC (Windows 7 Ultimate)

The issue is exactly the same on both computers.
It is impossible to use any of the Photoshop launch tools that open more than one file from Lightroom and merge it into a single file in Photoshop. CC 2015. Stacking, merge, layers... all fail with the following message:

The files could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 could not be launched.

That said, if I open PS first, then it works fine.

If I am working a single file, LR will launch PS just fine; Edit in Photoshop CC 2015.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2016 Oct 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

can anyone please be so kind and give me an example how the config.lua looks like for windows PCs.

Many thanks in advance !

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question for Simon Chen...Simon can we just edit the config.lua file for Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 now that it has been released, downloaded, and installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not Simon, but yes, it should work fine. That config.lua file has worked for many years, so it's unlikely to stop now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria is correct. The config file does not care which version of Photoshop that the path points to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Simon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried the config LUA file on Windows 10 and can't get it to work. I have tried :

EditExternally.OverridePhotoshopPath = "C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2017/Photoshop.exe"

and

EditExternally.OverridePhotoshopPath = "/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2017/Photoshop.exe"

Neither worked. Does it work on Windows?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried same path as David wrote, doesn ́t work it... win 10 64bit, PS CC.2017, LR CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my records for Windows, I have: 

EditExternally.OverridePhotoshopPath = "C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS3\\Photoshop.exe"

Note the double slashes in the opposite direction. I haven't got a Windows box loaded at the moment to check, but give the same idea a try with the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victoria - thanks for trying. Unfortunately it still would not work in CC2017 with Windows 10.
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entry should look something like

EditExternally.OverridePhotoshopPath = "C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\\Photoshop.exe"

To make sure that Lightroom sees your config.lua update, go to Lightroom>Help>System Info... to bring up the system info dialog.

It should show an entry like the following in the dialog

Config.lua flags: 
EditExternally.OverridePhotoshopPath = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Photoshop.exe

If you are not seeing it, then you need to follow the instruction exactly. Make sure your local file is named config.lua exactly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon thanks for your reply.
The config.lua file is set up exactly as you describe.

The Lightroom system info does show the line :
Config.lua flags:
EditExternally.OverridePhotoshopPath = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Photoshop.exe

That is the correct path to Photoshop on my PC.

Edit in Photoshop works correctly  but Open as Layers in Photoshop gives no response initially them after a timeout the following message appears : "The files could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 could not be launched"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. 'Edit In > Open as Layers in Photoshop' eventually works if the app is open, but takes much longer than it used to. Won't start the script to layer files unless the program is open already. Please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am having the same issue.  Photoshop cc 2017 does not open when choosing open as layers in photoshop from lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, there were two issues reported in this thread:
1.Lightroom could not locate and launch the right version of Photoshop that you wanted. For example, Photoshop could be installed in a non-standard location such as a detachable external drive. The above config.lua method address it by allowing you to tell Lightroom which version of Photoshop to use.
2. 'Edit In > Open as Layers in Photoshop' not working without first launching Photoshop. This is a separate bug that has been fixed internally for the next update of Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon- thanks for the clarification.

That is good news on the bug fix.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Simon. This clarification does help.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really annoying that this issue is still not yet  fixes 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to edit selected Lightroom files in Photoshop and keep getting this message. "The files could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 could not be launched." 

This feature was working a few weeks ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been getting the error "The files could not be editing because Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 could not be launched". This has been happening ever since I upgraded Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate