• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction not working.

LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed Lightroom 5 final. Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction does not work. Whole story here:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1229132

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 133 Replies 133
133 Comments
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted support and they did not know the problem. Strange!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No employee of the company will express it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No employee of Adobe will bring us a reply and a deadline for resolution? We try to productivity problems with this failure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric Chan works for Adobe (see reply above). The answer is "weeks", which means not months, but not just days either. In the mean time, consider a work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be fixed for sure in the next dot release. Although I can't give you a precise date of that release, we generally do releases 4 times per year, which means a release every 13 weeks or so. As Lr 5 was released in early-mid June, this should give you an idea of when the next release will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The free tech support deals with issues of getting Lr up and running. - keeping current about various (operational) bug issues is not part of the service they provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will it work if I just use plugin "LR / Mogrify 2" just to resize? Thus the bug does not occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will it work if I just use plugin "LR / Mogrify 2" just to resize? Thus the bug does not occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - just resizing using Lr/Mogrify (and NOT Lr) will fix the problem with noise reduction and dev-module sharpening, but not output sharpening - granted, you can enter a little sharpening for output too. Such has been rolled into a turn-key plugin: Lr50 Export AutoFix which has the advantage of auto-detect / pass-through in case fix is not needed, and auto-fix in case fix is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised this bug wasn't considered critical enough to fix sooner than next dot release, but thanks for clarifying the time frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not corrupting user data is the one time Adobe did a hurry-up double-dot release a few years ago.

LR not performing as advertised is not enough reason for a hurry-up release, especially if there are several other bugs to fix at the beginning of a major version series.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I can only use the "LR / Mogrify 2" without problems, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend Lr50 Export AutoFix to minimize the potential for problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BEWARE: There is a bug in the latest version of ImageMagick's mogrify (6.8.6) - images are coming out untagged, so export as sRGB unless you have an older version (6.7.3 is ok).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I reading this right - they've gone from "weeks", to now part of the regular cycle which will be 3 months? That's ridiculous. We're all supposed to implement work arounds because Adobe is too lazy to fix a critical bug? Lightroom is supposed to save us time - not create more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The delta between public builds is typically "weeks" because in addition to the final dot releases (roughly once every 13 weeks) there are the public Release Candidate (RC) builds which fall in between those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear: Lr50 Export AutoFix does not need/use/rely-on any other Lr plug-ins.

Lr50 Export AutoFix can use another non-LR 3rd party application - ImageMagick (which includes the mogrify command-line utility).

Also, Lr50 Export AutoFix can be used without mogrify (and without anything else - i.e. completely stand-alone/independent), with some caveats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when I use mogrify export only with sRGB color space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recommended solution: use an older version of ImageMagick (which includes mogrify utility) if possible. e.g. 6.7.3.

Links:
* Source code: http://www.imagemagick.org/download/w...
(not sure where the mac equivalents are).
* Binary installers: http://mhonarc.veidrodis.com/image_ma...

If not possible, then yes: export with sRGB color space - this is not a perfect solution (because untagged images may not be handled exactly the same as true (and properly tagged) sRGB images), thus the recomendation above, but it's better than nothing (e.g. better than AdobeRGB, at least until this bug is fixed).

NOTE: Authors of ImageMagick are aware of this problem and may have fixed the problem in latest beta release (source code only) - fixed binary release should be available soon.

Note2: another option is to manually assign an icc profile after exporting. Note: do not convert profile, just assign the correct one (as exported) - e.g. Photoshop or NX2 can do this.

Another option is to use Lr50 Export AutoFix in non-mogrify mode (i.e. without mogrify), at least for now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recommended solution: use an older version of ImageMagick (which includes mogrify utility) if possible. e.g. 6.7.3.

Links:

If not possible, then yes: export with sRGB color space - this is not a perfect solution (because untagged images may not be handled exactly the same as true (and properly tagged) sRGB images), thus the recomendation above, but it's better than nothing (e.g. better than AdobeRGB, at least until this bug is fixed).

NOTE: Authors of ImageMagick are aware of this problem and may have fixed the problem in latest beta release (source code only) - fixed binary release should be available soon.

Note2: another option is to manually assign an icc profile after exporting. Note: do not convert profile, just assign the correct one (as exported) - e.g. Photoshop or NX2 can do this.

Another option is to use Lr50 Export AutoFix in non-mogrify mode (i.e. without mogrify), at least for now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Links:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only public builds I've ever seen Adobe publically release before are the release candidates and final releases. The RC's are generally 3-5 weeks before the final releases. Given we are 4 weeks in with LR5, the RC at earliest would be at least another 4 weeks away based on the historical timelines. Hardly "weeks" - I call that "months", especially from when the "weeks" comment was first made. Very very very disappointed in Adobe for leaving us high and dry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your point is well taken, Greg. I am trying to move things along as quickly as I can, but please understand this is not my decision alone and I can't promise anything in terms of timeframe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, I appreciate that, but it seems like all the feedback is falling on deaf ears at Adobe. How do customers get to talk to the people who make the decisions?

The lack of a clear statement as to when is the most frustrating part. Everyone speculating doesn't help. But I've got 10's of thousands of images that were affected (astroimaging timelapses). It is a major time waste for me to try and work around for something the product should do (and used to do!). If a clear statement from Adobe was "It will be fixed in 2 weeks" then I would wait. If a clear statement from Adobe was "Next release on usual timeframe" then I either need to work on other projects for the next few months, or save out all my metadata for images and re-import 10's of thousands of them back into LR4, and then re-export them all out again with a working version. But in the mean time we all sit in limbo land parsing forums looking for a light at the end of pain and suffering that has been inflicted upon us.

Votes

Translate

Translate