• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Problem with zoom to fill in lightroom print mode

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that when I zoom to fill in Print mode Lightroom classic the colour seriously degrades, has anyone else experenced the same?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

This was fixed in 11.0

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
50 Comments
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh! I just tried printing for the first time in a while (and quickly found this post).  I most certainly see a degraded image when I check "Zoom to Fill."  (Haven't tried the stroke thing, which I don't use...) 

LR Classic 11.0.1; MacOS 11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  So I have this problem too in Big Sur, Lightroom Classic 11.1.

This is a HUGE bog, which has been known for about a year.

Has anyone upgraded the system software to Monterrey and seen the same or corrected behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded my system to Monterey, and the problem does not exist there.  Seems to be a Big Sur thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with LRC 12.0.1 and Ventura 13.0.1 and am seeing this Zoom to Fill printing problem.  I feel like this issue was previously fixed and is now back, but honestly I don't print enough with Zoom to Fill to recall.

In general, I'm finding strange behavior in the Print dialog box under LRC 12 and Ventura. The paper type keeps changing and even color sync will swtich off, each - seemingly - at random.  Very frustrating... and expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I originally had this issue for quite a while, it has not been present for some time now. Lightrooom 12.01, Ventura 13.0.1 on M1 MacBook Air. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" I feel like this issue was previously fixed and is now back"

According to Lightroom Queen, who generally has the most authoritative fix list, this bug was fixed in LR 11.3 (April 2022):

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-11-3/

It may have never been fixed completely or come back, or you may be tripping over a different bug with similar symptoms.

"In general, I'm finding strange behavior in the Print dialog box under LRC 12 and Ventura. The paper type keeps changing and even color sync will swtich off, each - seemingly - at random.  Very frustrating... and expensive."

A couple of troubleshooting steps:

- Verify you've granted LR Full Disk Access (not Files And Folders) permission:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access... 

LR can act very unpredictably without it.

- Try resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was fixed in 11.0

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you johnrellis -- Reviewing the linked documentation, the problem I'm having is different - the preview is not affected, only the printed output.

I may do a bit more playing around to see if I can reproduce reliably and/or share a video in a new thread. Something is definitely wrong.

I have a Canon Pro-100. Frequently, but not always, the color matching options are greyed out and Canon Color Matching is selected -- this guarantees a terrible print as color profile from LRC is not honored. Whenever this behavior occurs, the paper type will change as well. Perhaps it's a Ventura issue. In any case, it seems Zoom to Fill has nothing to do with it... just a red herring from my memory of the prior issue.

In the meantime, I've updated the macOS security settings for LRC as suggested and will see how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Frequently, but not always, the color matching options are greyed out and Canon Color Matching is selected -- this guarantees a terrible print as color profile from LRC is not honored. Whenever this behavior occurs, the paper type will change as well."

Did you try resetting preferences?  When they get corrupted, LR can do all sorts of screwy things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I figured out what is happening. When I print from LRC, I set the color profile in LR's Print module, then I press Printer... .  From there, I have a habit to review the Quality and Media settings... every time.  

With Ventura's new Print dialog, that means expanding the Printer Options section, then clicking the question mark for Quality and Media (why Apple chose this odd convention, I don't understand). In order to get back to the Print dialog itself, you either need to click OK or Cancel on the Quality and Media pop-up. If I press OK, all is well. If I hit Cancel, I lose the settings for Quality and Media -- I also lose the settings for Color Matching and Borderless! That means, the color profile from Lightroom is not being passed to the printer. You must click OK when exiting any of these Printer Options pop-ups, even if you change nothing.

It's not at all intuitive and I assume it's a 'feature' of Ventura that's beyond Adobe's control. The fact that Apple hides all these settings behind the question marks is cumbersome AND with the above behavior, dangerous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You must click OK when exiting any of these Printer Options pop-ups, even if you change nothing."

That's pretty rude. 

I was a summer intern at the famed Xerox PARC in 1980, where computer laser printing was invented. Back then, they had a phrase, "a printing problem", to mean any recurring problem (usually unrelated to printing) that never seems to go away and for which there are all sorts of stupid, niggling little details that vary among printers and programs.

Forty two years later, and printing remains a never-ending source of problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ventura is indeed a mess with the new GUI for printing! But there are other issues depending on what printer I select in LR (all seems fine in Photoshop).

Something is really wrong with color management as seen below with the Epson 3880. I've got Application (not Printer) managing color, and selected a profile as seen, but the driver setup is wrong. It should be automatically set for ColorSync not what is shown below (Epson Color Controls). Not an issue in Photoshop, it runs fine. Printing this way makes an awful (incorrect) print:

ColorSync.jpg

Now I simply select to print to the Epson P800, it is OK:

P800.jpg

Photoshop, same 3880 printer, correct setting for ColorSync. 

Seems like a LR bug! 

PSmanages.jpg

Some software products are using a private (undocumented) SPI called kPMApplicationColorMatching which you see in Photoshop and Lightroom and the Adobe Color Print Utility. When you set Application Manages Color, the area of the driver that controls Colorsync will alter the radio buttons such they are grayed out. X-Rite’s i1Profiler has also implemented this SPI. For some reason, LR unlike Photoshop is not using this SPI correctly. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting to hate Ventura. 

Disregard last message. I quit LR, and opened it again, and now the CS ratio button is grayed out thankfully. 

I built a new user template and hopefully this will stick. But I'd warn folks, at least using Epson printers to ensure this ratio button is correctly invoked, I have no idea if it might default back and produce another butt-ugly print. 

With the radio button correctly sent, LR and Photoshop produce identical prints as they should. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the thoughts and guidance. I have MacBook Pro (M1pro) running Ventura with an epson p800. Same problem as described in the thread. Profiles not passed to printer. Awful LR prints PS ok.  Upgraded to LR12.1 in hope of a cure. Now have the 'page set up' crash as described on related thread.  Regressed to LR 12 and same crashes now occur.  One step forward two back.  Tried uninstalling and replacing all the drivers. Set up a new user account with LR and this didn't seem to crash but didn't try a full print run (no images in the catalog} thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have MacBook Pro (M1pro) running Ventura with an epson p800.

No crashing or such issues, are you running 12.6.2 of the P800 driver? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes 12.62 for the epson driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then maybe do the Epson Enema and install the print drivers (from Epson) again: 

1. Delete all instances of Epson printers from System Preferences (System Settings in Ventura)>Print & Fax.

2. Then go to /Library/Printers and toss the whole Epson folder.

3. Toss LFP Remote Panel (IF you are using this utility for your printer).

4. Then reinstall drivers from Epson and never Apple.

NOTE: IF you have more than one Epson printer, you need to install the driver in the order of their release! Older then newer or you run into issues (eg, install 4800 before you’d install 3880).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set up a new user account, as suggested on the other thread, imported a couple of pics and tried printing in LR. This worked, with normal paper dialog boxes and profiles. Print was normal. Does the give a clue as to what the corruption might be on the normal account? LR 12.0.  Maybe I should upgrade this to 12.1 and see if the crashes return?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So yes, the switch to another user indicates it's not a LR bug itself but a conflict with something else. So here's the tough part. Since it doesn't crash as a new user, there is a conflict with something in the original (Admin?) user that is making it crash. The hard part is figuring out what that is. The first task is to disable all auto log in items in Users and Groups>Login Items in your System preferences (System Settings in Ventura). You can make a screen capture or jot down what each item is, disable, restart and try again. If it doesn't crash, you can add one or more items, restart and try again. At some point, you may find which item is at issue. It isn't easy but that's really the fix unless you do a clean install of the OS which might be more work. 

The bottom line is, that something in your user account is conflicting with Lightroom. Gotta find out what that item is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks. Some work to do.  Just confirming that upgrading the new user account to LR 12.01 did not bring back the crashes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem could be be LR's preferences, the print driver's preferences, or other turds left on disk in per-user files (e.g. in ~/Library).  Reinstalling typically doesn't delete preferences, though it often will delete other detritus.  When you switch to a new user account, the software no longer accesses those old per-user files.

Did you try resetting LR's preferences?

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/ 

My Mac shows a bunch of Epson preference files in ~/Library/Preferences. including one for my XP-15000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried removing the preferences file and resetting this at LR start up.  This did not stop the crashes. I tried removing all the start up items and ensured there were no windows reopening at start up. No difference, still LR crash at start up.  Next I gave the second user account admin status and removed admin status from the main account.  I thought I was making progress, as LR did not crash the first time I accessed page set up.... but it did the second and subsequent times.   A restart did not change this.  The second admin account continues to work normally.  Mystery deepens for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reverted to LR version 12 and relaunched with a back up catalog from last month and everything so far is looking back to normal. I'll wait a while before upgrading anything again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Ventura users: I just tried the Adobe Color Print Utility (only needed to print targets for color management profiles). The first time I opened it since updating to 13.0.1, once again, the WRONG radio button was seen, just like Lightroom Classic. Quit, tried again, and it defaulted to the correct setting. Beware!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My print had a funny looking tint, after zI stopped using Zoom to Fit, my print were better, but I had to make many more adjustment to finaling get a good print, plus my presets were orint incorrecly.

Votes

Translate

Translate