• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: "Edit in PS 2014" opens PS 2014 in Wrong Location

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software bug. MAC OS X Yosemite (and Mavericks before it). Using LR 5.6 & Photoshop CC2014.2.1 CC subscription. When an external firewire backup drive is connected (the backup drive is a clone of my MacBook Pro that stays connected for scheduled automatic backups, etc.), when I am in Lightroom and I select "Edit (an image) in Photoshop", Photoshop opens in the wrong location. In other words, it opens the Photoshop application on my backup drive instead and I get a warning dialogue box that says "The application has been moved, and its path has changed. To update the product configuration, click update". I have a choice to update or not. Of course, I choose to not update that. That's a bug (in my opinion.) When the backup drive is not connected the correct PS 2014 application opens. Bottom line: I should be able to keep a backup drive connected and have the Edit in Photoshop open the correct application.

One way you could easily solve this issue is to change External Editing in Preferences - change the first listing where it shows by default "Edit in Adobe PS CC 2014" - simply have the the user actually confirm where the application is located, thus forcing the user to choose (and thus confirm) the location of the PS 2014 application on the primary volume that the user intends to lave Lightroom open (would be similar to what the user has to do to choose an additional external editor in the same Preferences panel.

I'e tried everything to solve this bug. Reinstalling PS 2014 does not work. Deleting plists files does not work. There seems to be no user workaround available. Please solve this problem with a fix. Thank you. James Farrell, Prescott, AZ - jamesfarrell7681@gmail.com

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2015 Jan 24, 2015
We're working with Apple (along with others) to track down the root issue.

In the meantime, we've created a plug-in to do a manual override of the OS record/selection of the version of Photoshop to launch.

1) Download the plug-in from here: http://adobe.ly/1Ef651i
2) Unzip the folder
3) Launch Lightroom and select File>Plug-In Manager...
4) Click [Add] to install the plug-in
5) Select File>Plug-In Extras>Select Photoshop for Edit in Photoshop...
6) Click [Select] and navigate to the versi...

Votes

Translate

Translate
32 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

I have seen this once before and, if memory serves, this was our procedure:

1. Disconnect external drive.
2. Uninstall Lightroom
3. Uninstall PS CC 2014
4. Restart machine
5. Install LR 5.6
6. Install PS CC2014
7. Launch LR
8. Launch PS via Edit in in Lightroom.
9. Reconnect cloned external drive.

Let us know how it works for you.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2014 Dec 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here...Seriously. You are suggesting I uninstall both big apps with all the plugins etc. to work around what is essentially an Adobe programming Fault. Sorry but this needs a fix please.
-evan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2014 Dec 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Rikk Flohr: Sorry, but your response to me from three weeks ago that suggests I uninstall both Lightroom and Photoshop, both of which are huge downloads and to go through a ton of work to reinstall them is completely unrealistic and downright ridiculous.

Moreover, your tedious, time consuming "procedure" does not solve the problem. The same issue reappears even after going through all of the steps that you've suggested. It's a bug, a software programming glitch, Rikk. Please, pass the info about the problem along to the appropriate people so it can be fixed.

Now that another user has chimed in here with the same issue, maybe you'll take me more seriously. If you scout around you'll find other users with the same issue posting in other forums. The reason not more folks have posted here about the issue is that finding anything on Adobe's horribly bloated web sites is difficult very time consuming at best.

There is clearly a bug or some kind of programming error. The problem should be easy for Adobe to fix - if by doing nothing else than having the user choosing the location or pointing to the application location for PS CC 2014 in the external editing tab of the LR preferences pane. The fix that I suggest would require a user to do this only once. This method works fine for the second external editor that I can choose (there are two external editor choices I can make in case Adobe software engineers have not noticed.) For the second external editor, I only have to point to the application and its location once.

We appreciate your time to post a response. But your suggested solution does not work and is not Adobe's best effort to solve a real issue. I mean no disrespect, but if I knew to whom at Adobe I could send information about this issue, I would. >> Jim Farrell, Prescott, AZ - jamesfarrell7681@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting, Evan. It sure is a problem and a fix should not be difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jim,

I have tried getting rid of the Photoshop p.list preferences, etc. but the only fix that works for me is either discontinue making cloned backups of the hard drive or Eject the backup disk prior to any work in LightRoom. Both of these solutions are poor workarounds to a problem that could be remedied by Jim's suggestion above. Why Lightroom would keep trying to access the backup copy of Photoshop on a different disk makes no sense to me...

It's bug. Let's squash it.

-evan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same very annoying problem. I had not realized it was because of my backup on an external drive, however.

Please provide a more reasonable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll look into what's possible to make this better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem. It keeps accessing my photoshop program on my external raid. It's a pain to have to disconnect it to open in the right copy. Also since usually open as a smart object, other workarounds don't work. When is there a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2014 Dec 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I open a file in Photoshop from Lightroom, it launches Photoshop from a backup drive, if I have it mounted. This is more than a nuisance, my boot drive is much faster. The only fix is to unmount that drive and relaunch Lightroom.

I don't understand why Lightroom (which, rather inconveniently, doesn't allow me to manually enter the correct path) wouldn't default to checking for PS on the same volume as itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though PS is open on my start-up drive, LR seeks out my backup drive to open a second version of PS.

My start-up drive PS app is the one selected in Preferences > External Editing > Additional External Editor.

Where do I set my Primary External Editor?

LR 5.7.1, PS 15.2.2, OS 10.9.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for merging my thread.

Can we get Acknowledged status on this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really is not a bug - just normal OS behavior. We may see what we can do to make the OS behavior clearer, but it is not really something to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're blaming this on the OS Chris?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't happen with any other applications I own, only Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, I don't like to complain, and this is far from a high-priority issue for me, but I can see another perspective I think is equally valid.

While the underlying cause may be an OS problem, the resulting behavior is a Lightroom problem. No matter how a**-backward Apple is for creating the situation, Adobe has failed to present a functioning solution in writing the code that connects Lightroom to Photoshop.

The easiest solution (though perhaps not the most user-friendly) I can think of is to let the user define the path to Lightroom's external editor. This would also come in handy on those occasions that vital Photoshop features are broken for months at a time and one has to open files in previous versions.

That said, if the user-defined path were to completely replace the automatic updating Lightroom currently does, I can see how that could place additional burden on the majority of users.

Ultimately, the Photoshop/Lightroom team will have to pick their battles; I understand how OS anomalies can be a moving target. Still, I balk at blurring the line between reasons and excuses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2015 Jan 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're working with Apple (along with others) to track down the root issue.

In the meantime, we've created a plug-in to do a manual override of the OS record/selection of the version of Photoshop to launch.

1) Download the plug-in from here: http://adobe.ly/1Ef651i
2) Unzip the folder
3) Launch Lightroom and select File>Plug-In Manager...
4) Click [Add] to install the plug-in
5) Select File>Plug-In Extras>Select Photoshop for Edit in Photoshop...
6) Click [Select] and navigate to the version of Photoshop running on your boot drive.
7) Click [OK] to dismiss the dialog
8) Relaunch Lightroom for the change to take affect

Let us know if this works around the problem for you. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff: Installed your work-around plug-in. Seems to work just fine. Solves the problem for now. Will re-evaluate after LR-6 release. Thanks for your effort and response to the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2015 Jan 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!

Problem Fixed.

-evan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, in case it helps the support people, I have encountered the same problem with Lightroom 5.7, but I also have the same problem directly from the OS. My OS is 10.10.2 (14C109).

If I find a PSD file, right-click on it, choose Open With..., and choose the latest version of Photoshop CC 2014, it opens the file using the application from the backup drive. This is without Lightroom running at all.

Also, the backup drive does not need to be a FireWire drive. Mine is a USB 2.0 drive. The backup was created using Carbon Copy Cloner and is in a subfolder on the external drive (in other words, the backup drive contains a whole bunch of other stuff as well as a folder that is a clone of the internal drive).

So, where the active Photoshop application should be "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014.app", instead, it is "/Volumes/Desktop HD/MacBackup/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014.app".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2015 Feb 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue, and it occurs when opening a photo directly from the Finder, with the "Open With" option. Did NOT correct it by reselecting the correct program/location with the "Other" option at the bottom of the "Open With" context menu.

This may suggest an OS bug, not an Adobe bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the Lightroom 5.7 and Photoshop CS6 Applications on a Mac in the Applications folder and also a backup copy on a hard drive connected to the same computer. In LR Preferences > External Editing where we specify Photoshop CS6 as the primary external editor, LR doesn't allow us to specify the path and sometimes LR opens the Photoshop CS6 App on the backup drive, which causes us to have app location issues. Can the path be added to the dialog specifying the primary external editor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too suffered from Lightroom 5 using PS CS6 on my backup disk.
I simply changed the name of the backup app to AAAAAdobe Photoshop CS6.app
Lightroom then used the correct app on my system disk.
Just remember to change the name back if when restoring from backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this work around. I have been dealing with this on and off for awhile, and this seems to be working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my problem and I do not think it is the same....
When PS is not open and I edit from LR>PS, PS will open in the front. If PS is open and I edit from LR>PS w a DNG PS will not come to the front (stay in background but images opens) but it will come to the front if I edit a .tiff, .jpg or png that is in LR. This happened when I moved LR cat from an external HD to the internal HD and that is where it is now and staying. It must have to do with a preference somewhere or how LR reads the DNG file or the sequencing of LR.

Additionally I just had a new 2Tb HD installed. Also I just finished loading the CC updates.

Any suggestions are appreciated and all ARC is up to date.

PShop always opens in the correct CC copy, just not in front

Votes

Translate

Translate