• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: SDK and Help > System Info report the wrong version of Windows on Windows 11

LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows 11, the SDK's LrSystemInfo.summaryString() and .osVersion() report the wrong version of Windows:

"Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition (x64)"
"Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition"

This makes it difficult for a plugin to work around the Windows 11 SDK bugs.

Help > System Info also reports Windows 10 rather than Windows 11:

johnrellis_0-1659469248841.png

According to this Dell support article, there appear to be many places where Windows 11 reports itself as Windows 10, which Microsoft labels "as-designed" (or "feature not a bug").  One way to differentiate Windows 10 and Windows 11 is by looking at the version: 10.0.2200 and greater is Windows 11.  Unfortunately, the SDK doesn't report the version.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
SDK , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Setting status adding bug number

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The October 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
27 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting status adding bug number

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Systeminformationen zeigt ein altes WIN 8 an. Mein WIn ist WIN 11.  In PS ist das korrekt. Wie kannich das in LR ändern? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has acknowledged this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Windows 11, but in the System Info, I see this line:

Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an OS issue and not a bug in Lightroom Classic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this an OS issue? If I open the System Info tool in Windows, it has the correct OS listed. Only Lightroom is wrong here.

kaiyoma_0-1665608448503.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol! Thanks for the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a LR bug.

The technical version numbers have never corresponded with the product names: Windows XP was 5.1 and 5.2, Windows Vista was 6.0, Windows 7 was 6.1, Windows 8 was 6.2 and 6.3, Windows 10 and 11 are 10.0.  These version numbers are as-designed by Microsoft.

How programs should distinguish Windows 11 from 10 is an FAQ.  Every page and thread I found says that the Microsoft-designed way for programs to distinguish Windows 11 from Windows 10 is by looking at the build number -- builds greater than or equal to 22000 are Windows 11. (The major version is 10 for both systems.)

So 10.0.22623 is Windows 11, while 10.0.19043 is Windows 10.

References:

All Windows versions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions 

Dell knowledge base article saying the 10/11 behaivor is as-designed by Microsoft:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-sg/000193571/windows-11-incorrect-os-version-reported

At the end of the thread on 8/19/22, Microsoft employee Jason-MSFT confirms this and says, "Bottom line here is that Windows 11 is a product name and not the technical version of the product... This is not in any way unprecedented for Windows or other software. Microsoft 365 apps (formerly Office 365) do not have version numbers that start with 365 and as noted Windows Vista, 7, and 8 were all version 6.x."

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/586619/windows-11-build-ver-is-still-10022000194... 

Bottom of page linked to by Rikk says this is "intentional, not a bug":

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-11/windows-11-registry-still-reports-windows-10-as-os... 

Check build number:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/595325/need-to-get-real-os-version.html

Check build number:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/605991/how-to-differentiate-between-windows-10-a... 

Check build number:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/547050/win32-api-to-detect-windows-11.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Classic team currently has raised the issue with MS and the existing bug number referenced above to which your SDK bug was attached (LRD-4207069) is dependent upon that. 

For clarity, I will merge this thread with that so that updates will go to all necessary. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic does not recognise that I have upgraded my OS to Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the error message you are seeing? Can you post a screenshot?

Which version of Lightroom Classic are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry John I will try and reply later. It's midnight here.

Thank you. andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to these lines in Help > System Info:

Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.22000

There's a longstanding bug where LR uses Microsoft's technical version numbering rather than the user-facing, marketing numbering:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-sdk-and-help-gt-system-info-report-the-wrong...

The technical version number 10.0.22000 is correct -- Windows 11 starts with 22000 and higher -- but LR misidentifies it as Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRc system info shows that the computer OS is an older version of Win 10. The computer has the latest version of Win 11 installed. I am unable to download and install the latest version of LRc and PS due to "OS incompatibility"

The attached file LR OS Issue is from the Win 11 system report.

the attached file LRc System info fle is from the LRc system info report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed in another post answer that is a LrC bug.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That can't be the reason. Lots of people have Lightroom and PS installed and working on Windows 11, even if Lr reports Windows 10 because of this bug. I've seen many of those here.

The issue is apparently a "mixup" of Microsoft's internal version number for Windows 11, which is NT 10, with the external official Windows version number. It's a bit like Photoshop 2023, version number 24.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree -- while LR has a bug in its Help > System Info command reporting the wrong product name (Windows 10 instead of Windows 11):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-sdk-and-help-gt-system-info-report-the-wrong...

LR is accurately reading the Microsoft version number (10.0.22621).  So that definitely is not the cause of your "OS incompatibility" issue.

I suggest as a next step, you post a full-resolution screenshot of the entire error message (all the details matter here).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your response. Based on the information that you and several other provided, I see where this is a know issue. What I do not understand is that this issue seems to be preventing me from updating to LRc v122.3. When I try to initiate an upadte from the creative clooud desktop, I  receive the error that the update is not compatible and the I need to update my OS to  WIndows 10 version 20h2 or later. See attached screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. Based on the information that you and several other provided, I see where this is a know issue. What I do not understand is that this issue seems to be preventing me from updating to LRc v12.3. When I try to initiate an update from the creative clooud desktop, I  receive the error that the update is not compatible and the I need to update my OS to  WIndows 10 version 20h2 or later. I attached a sscreenshot of the error message to johnrellis response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

johnrellis_0-1685578277575.png

LR's Help > System Info reports your Windows build version as 10.0.22621, which is Windows 11 22H2. So from LR's perspective, you already have Windows 11 (version 21H1 or later), as mentioned in the error message.

The bug with System Info is merely that LR is translating the build version to the wrong consumer product name, "Windows 10 - Business Edition", rather than "Windows 11".  But System Info is reporting the correct build version, which is what's used to determine the exact version of Windows you have installed. 

And note that this error is coming from the Creative Cloud desktop app, not from LR.

I don't know what's causing your issue, but it's not this bug with Help > System Info. If it were, we would have seen tens of thousands of reports from other Windows users unable to update to LR, since Help > System Info behaves exactly the same for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The October 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate