Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow UI when using Mac and Custom Display Profile

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since upgrading to Lightroom Classic v10.0, all UI-related functionality is painfully slow. All editing functions are working correctly and quickly but scrolling through the catalogue or even scrolling a side panel is taking many long seconds to refresh. Unreasonably long.

Disabling GPU Accellaration has no affect on my Lightroom's performance.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software.

If it's 10.0 or 10.1, please review the diagnostic step in this post to see if this is the issue you are facing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-slow-after-upgrading/5f91bbf7917fbb3a9935742e?commentId=5fa06f1e72a09d24e1c2b700 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Greetings All,

Update: 3/15/2021

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your continued patience.

This thread is tracking issues related to a small group of customers who are seeing issues with very slow UI speed in Lightroom Classic 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1001 Replies 1001
1,001 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, My screens are set that way as well and it makes a lot of sense. Let me give it a try.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@soundrats @bill_3305731  I would like both of you to clean up your posts.
Personal attacks, name calling and the like are not tolerated here. If you cannot keep it civil, there are other places on the internet that will welcome you. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pleasure! Thinking a bit further, this may also be a solution for all those who don't normally use a dual-display setup but who have the desk space available for an additional display...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a great workaround.  While I still see spinning beachball in library module when I select an image and for that image to appear on the main window which is on the 4K display, I don't use library module functions that much on the main window so this workaround is great.

Likewise, it works well when I need to use the main window while in the library module such as editing keywords, publishing on online gallery through plugins, or even selecting folders in a catalog, I can bring the main window over to to secondary display that is set to sRGB. 

It's a slight inconvenience but I'd take that extra step than to see spinning beachball at every turn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy to hear it works for you, too. One of my main reasons for using a dual-display setup is that it does away with the need to leave the develop module to access grid view...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer @bill_3305731 , I use no plug-in at all in LightRoom.

I'm not sure I have the same problem as others in this discussion cause my gridview works pretty well. Lightroom is slow in photo editing mode. Each time I click on a tool it takes around 5 or 6 seconds to react, and the same when I unselect the tool.

Also, I have 2 monitors but only use one in LR (no secondary display enabled in LR).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel free to what you want to clean... I do not mind... 

Cheers Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have 2 monitors and have Lightroom maximized on one. 

I caused a similar problem for myself last year but it was only when I used a tool, not just clicking on it. I moved the images folder to the Google Drive folder. As each adjustment was externalized to the Lightroom catalog and the XMP file, Google locked the files until they were uploaded to the cloud.

But I can't think of anything that would cause a delay from just selecting a tool for use. 

This is a real stretch. In the very early days of Microsoft Word, the first use of a feature caused a delay while that component was loaded. Because computers didn't have much memory, this was a common architecture but I'd be surprised if Lightroom was architected like this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew: 5120 x 2880 (Default)

If you lower it does it help the issue?

Andrew, I am still familiarizing myself with how the iMac/Catalina handles the Retina display resolution.  I had been using the "Default" resolution, which "Looks Like" 2560x1440. 

Using the i1profiler custom display profile, if I lower it to 2048x1152 it is still laggy, but is better once I lower it further to 1600x900.

Using the sRGB profile the performance is acceptable up to 2880x1620 and then starts to deteriorate again at 3200x1800.

I am judging this purely subjectively based on how smoothly the catalog grid scrolls with Lightroom at full screen at the specified resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks. Seems profile plus display resolution play a role. Good info.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

i also noticed the same kind of behavior here.

in fact the lagging reduces when I change the scale of my 16” Mac book pro display (I use the smallest available scale Allowing more information). it is better at default for instance which way too big for me (menus and fonts)

note that changing to srgb as a turnaround has little if not any effect  

Julien

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a known issue with LR 10.0 and Big Sur?

My entire computer freezes when working in the development module and I have to force shutdown and reboot my system. The freeze does not prompt a crash report from Adobe but occasionally does from Apple after the reboot.

I have two Macs, one a MBP and another a Mac mini, both have vanilla installs of LR 10.0 with no additional plugins or presets. Both systems are exhibiting the exact same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

On the new big sur system I have a problem with scrolling and browsing photos.

When I browse photos in the library, it's slow.
Editing scrolling (basic, tone curvem, color, color grading) is slow. When I pull the scroll bar, it's fast. When I scroll, it's slow.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ouc_t8AWjms" style="max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%;" width="640px"></iframe>

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem - after updating to Mac OS Big Sur.
Snmekobrazovky20201117v20.51.1-ec0c7532-ebef-4160-a739-94bd150237a5-1681432002.png
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ouc_t8AWjms" style="max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%;" width="640px"></iframe>

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*fotimelasku It's not Big Sur but a bug with some Macs, display profiles and perhaps display resolution.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is strange. in my Mac Pro I had a disk with OS catalina - there was no problem. Yesterday I bought a new disk, inserted it into a Mac and installed Big Sur - since then the problem has occurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posting to follow.

Same problem with 2019 Mac Pro and dual Apple displays.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having hugely frustrating issues of lag on my iMac 2015 (late) using Lightroom ever since updating to v10. I also recently updated to Big Sur (not a wise choice I must admit in retrospect, but done it now). I see this issue has been going on for a while now from the length of this thread. Is there any hope on the horizon? I may look into downgrading to previous version. Very disappointed with Adobe over this.... have even considering media upgrading my ram to cope but hoping it will be resolved by Adobe before suffering the cost. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System with no problems on MacOS with Lightroom V10

My son has a 16" MacBook Pro (i9, 32GB RAM, Apple supplied internal 2TB SSD) with multiple catalogs (images going back 10 years) that have been updated to V10 and he has none of the problems with V10 on MacOS that have been reported on this forum, he's tried to recreate all of them without success. 

• most of his images are Canon APSC DSLR, Fuji X-T3 and a couple of iPhones
  • a wide mixture of RAW and JPEG images including a few TIFFs 
  • using a Dell P2715Q 4K monitor 
  • no plug-ins
  • no added presets 
  • standard sRGB profile 
  • all Lightroom components on the internal 2TB SSD 
  • no catalog corruption 
  • no crashes 
  • no slowdowns 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bill_3305731 

What you're doing here borders trolling: "standard sRGB profile" - SHOCKER!

Suggestion: if you're bored, take a walk instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others are suggesting here, I changed from my colour managed profiles on my dual screen setup to the 'Generic RGB Profile', it 'solved' the issue of slow library. Hopefully a fix is coming soon as it does seem a lot of people are getting same diagnosis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom desktop 10.0

Very slow since last update

Going through recent photos added to my IMAC and taken ages to go from one photo to another. That slow had to check that was in Library model rather than Development and was in Library model. Taking nearly 2 seconds to go from one photo to another and have 700 photos from last import to go through. Had to give up as so slow and tried again today and the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an authoritative thread for better tracking and response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill is spouting nonsense. I have a heavily upgraded MacPro 5,1 with PCIe SSD, 48GB RAM, SSD photo storage and Radeon RX Vega 56 GPU (8 GB with full boot screen EFI courtesy of MacVid Cards) and EIZO CG318-4K calibrated monitor. On LR 9 this set up is blazingly fast. On LR 10 it is a joke. If I use a standard factory profile the speed comes back but I no longer have an accurate monitor. I have reverted to LR9 for the time being. Photoshop 2021 also works blazingly fast with this card and set up. This is a bug ridden software issue and Adobe needs a kick where it hurts most - customers migrating to other, more reliable, software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't waste your time (like I did). The problem is in the software not in your machine. The RX580 is a great card and fully compatible. Just revert to the previous LR version (you will need your old catalogue) and carry on until Adobe sees fit to fix this cock up.

Imagine, Lightroom - designed for photographers - won't work with custom monitor profiles. It's laughable.

Votes

Translate

Translate