Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow UI when using Mac and Custom Display Profile

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since upgrading to Lightroom Classic v10.0, all UI-related functionality is painfully slow. All editing functions are working correctly and quickly but scrolling through the catalogue or even scrolling a side panel is taking many long seconds to refresh. Unreasonably long.

Disabling GPU Accellaration has no affect on my Lightroom's performance.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software.

If it's 10.0 or 10.1, please review the diagnostic step in this post to see if this is the issue you are facing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-slow-after-upgrading/5f91bbf7917fbb3a9935742e?commentId=5fa06f1e72a09d24e1c2b700 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Greetings All,

Update: 3/15/2021

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your continued patience.

This thread is tracking issues related to a small group of customers who are seeing issues with very slow UI speed in Lightroom Classic 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1001 Replies 1001
1,001 Comments
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a color profiled system? If yes, than this would be a miracle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While waiting for a fix from Adobe, read the suggestions submitted by other Mac users who've mostly resolved this problem on their machines. Many other problems are unresolved so it is best to revert to 9.4 on a Mac. 

While the other enhancements might not mean much to you they are very useful to fussy users. On Windows the overall improvements are significant we've only been hit with a couple bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all of my computers, MAC and PC are regularly color profiled with i1 Display pro.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found any resolution to the issue Bill, are you referring to a solution other than rolling back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a Mac user but a some people have reported good results with various changes. You'll have to search thru the threads to find their solutions as I didn't track them. Lots of reading ahead for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW the changing my icc profile from my custom one made via i1Display Pro to iMac standard fixed the laggy scrolling for me.

Unfortunately iMac profile is way too cool.  

For some reason I can't explain after going back and forth between iMac, P3 Display and a couple of my more recent i1Display profiles the laggy scrolling seems to be better even with the profile I was using before.

I need to test more to see for sure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi out there, as I read the performnce lack is an issue for us after the jump to LRC10 or PS21. Maybe I need a new Graphic Card. Please help to consider which one. I want the flawless and smooth editing back. If I just edit the CPU is maxed out. The card is limited BAISIC GRAPHIC ACCELERATION.

If you are able to recommend another video card please tell me here.

Thnx Tom

My specs:

Graphics Processor Info: 
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (26.21.14.4614)

Lightroom Classic version: 10.0 [ 202010011851-ef6045e0 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19041
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 3,6 GHz - tuned and running with 4.55GHZ
SqLite Version: 3.30.1
Built-in memory: 32715,9 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32715,9 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2304,1 MB (7,0%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2903,9 MB
GDI objects count: 823
USER objects count: 3101
Process handles count: 1946
Memory cache size: 32,5MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.0 [ 610 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1041MB / 16357MB (6%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1045MB / 32715MB (3%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160, 2) 1920x1080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@moritzfaehse :- Can you change monitor custom profile  to "SRGB"  and share your feedback ?

Thanks

Mayuri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Christoph Meyerdierks :Can you change monitor custom profile  to "SRGB"  and share your feedback ?

Thanks

Mayuri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you change monitor custom profile  to "SRGB"  and share your feedback ?

Thanks

Mayuri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*mpierce0519  Can you change monitor custom profile  to "SRGB" or AdobeRGB and share your feedback ?

Thanks

Mayuri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your budget? 1st choice would be a Quadro RTX4000 then Quadro P4000 then Quadro P2200. These are all single slot cards that can handle four 4K monitors. GeForce cards are cheaper but not as durable and other than the video chip itself, use lower quality components. The best performing GeForce card per $ for Lightroom is the 2070 Super.

For used there is the Quadro K1200. While the P2200 is rated to be over 3 times faster for Lightroom, I didn't see any difference when I upgraded. Don't go below 4GB of RAM as that is the minimum for reasonable performance with a 4K monitor. 

One problem with the performance tests is that they are not performed on a wide range of of image sizes. Ideally the whole image will fit in the card memory. If the image has to be processed in chunks then artifacts can occur. Think about sharpening. That works on adjacent pixels. If half of an image can fit in the card then it has to process it in 3 chunks to avoid adjacency effects. Obviously as image size goes up, performance will deteriorate. Moving data back and forth to the card is a bottleneck. So ideally you'll be using a 40 lane processor, 16 lanes for the SSD and 16 for the video card.

Also be sure to choose Custom for the video card settings in Preferences, Performance tab. When using the K1200, a Lightroom upgrade killed performance on my system because it switched auto. For my video card and processor combination (very fast processor and moderate speed card), it wasn't fully using the card. Switching to custom and activating full use of the card, I experienced a several fold performance improvement for several of the develop sliders. Adobe is still in learning mode for video cards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill:

What website do you recommend that would allow us to compare various video cards to the requirements for Lightroom Classic AND Photoshop.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just saying, Lightroom would be worthless to me if I can't use my monitor profile as it will be to any professional who needs to deliver work in a colour managed environment. Hopefully what you say may help them fix the bug, have you sent a support ticket with this info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are absolutely right...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, Thnx for your answer. Did you really think my video card is causing this issue that my well performing PC turns to a snail after this update to LRC10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I found out when I first tried version 10.

Turned Use Graphics Processor to Auto in 9.4 and it was still fast. But when I opened 10 now Use Graphics Processor was now set to Auto and it was back to being slow. Does that tell me that 9.4 and 10 share the same preferences. If so why can't they have separate preference files. 10 is not usable with Use Graphics Processor set to Auto so seems something is wrong with Use Graphics Processor in 10.

I am wondering if anyone else with slow down problem in 10 tried turning off Use Graphics Processor. This would at least allow you to use your profiled monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@soundrats  My standby/backup machine is a Win 10 PC:

GTX 650

i7-3960

32GB ram

SSDs for system and LrC catalog

LrC v10 has automatically set the "Use graphics processor to Auto - Basic Acceleration.

All LrC functions on that machine work just fine including scrolling through the photo in library and develop. All of the sliders work with instantaneous response in develop as well as cropping and zooming. I was actually surprised that LrC used the old GTX 650 at all.

My main LrC processing machine is also Win 10:

GTX 970 - LrC using full acceleration

i7 8700K

64GB ram

SSDs for OS, programs and LrC catalog and previews.

All LrC functions tested so far work just fine on this machine, too.

I am looking at upgrading my video cards, but after seeing how LrC v10 is using my existing cards, I'm in no hurry.

Also, PS 2021 is using the old GTX 650 for Advanced Drawing mode. The tools I have tested all work fine, too.

All machines regularly calibrated and profiled with Spectraview II and i1 Display Pro.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not aware this was a problem with Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings All,

Update: 3/15/2021

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your continued patience.

This thread is tracking issues related to a small group of customers who are seeing issues with very slow UI speed in Lightroom Classic 10. 

The Lightroom Classic team continues to work on a permanent fix for this issue. It is a top priority.  Stay subscribed to this thread as it will be your best conduit for information regarding this issue. 

Update 02/24/2021:

This thread has been closed due to repeated improper behavior by a few of the respondents.  This does not affect the issue being worked on or the resolution.  Again, thank you for your patience

For review: 

Affected Systems:

Mac (All OS versions applicable to Lightroom) where a custom display profile is in use.  Using Lightroom Classic 10.0, 10.1, & 10.1.1

Not affected:

Mac Customers using stock OS display profiles and Windows Customers

To diagnose: 
Substitute Adobe RGB or sRGB for your OS Monitor Profile in place of any custom profile you've created using a colorimeter tool or your monitor's software. If the system returns to normal speed it is due to this issue.  If not, you should be creating or adding to new or different threads in this forum.

Available Temporary Workaround: 
Revert to version 9.4 of Lightroom Classic via your Creative Cloud App. 9.4 does not have this issue and reverting should restore you to the behavior to which you were accustomed. 

Some members on this thread are reporting that recalibrating provides them with relief. Others report that it has no effect. 

Members of the engineering team may be contacting you for additional information and perhaps copies of custom display profiles. Thank you for any help you can provide to them.

This post will be updated as soon as more information becomes available.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk If you need any custom profiles for Eizo Monitors from Eizo Colornavigator please contact me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The profiles from colornavigator cause this problem. my post was an answer to the post above:
"Members of the engineering team may be contacting you for additional information and perhaps copies of custom display profiles."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have yet to see this problem with ID16 but here again I do not have GPU Performance selected. Will try to select it and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that was my fault for not looking first at what you were replying about. So far I am thinking that enabling the GPU causes something with these custom profiles. It would be nice if more people tested this slow down with GPU disabled and then enabled to see what difference can be found. Maybe a memory issue with custom profiles and GPU enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While some folks on this forum, think that Auto is smarter than they are. Not me. I've been hit twice by a Lightroom update switching to auto and causing a dramatic slow down. It is so easy to just:

• Edit tab
  • Performance tab
  • Choose Custom for Use Graphics Processor
  • check Use GPU for image processing 

And if you have a cpu with a built-in graphics processor in addition to a graphics card, and if the setting is Auto; it sometimes get confused. Why deal with that, Custom just works, Auto only sometimes works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate