Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow UI when using Mac and Custom Display Profile

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since upgrading to Lightroom Classic v10.0, all UI-related functionality is painfully slow. All editing functions are working correctly and quickly but scrolling through the catalogue or even scrolling a side panel is taking many long seconds to refresh. Unreasonably long.

Disabling GPU Accellaration has no affect on my Lightroom's performance.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software.

If it's 10.0 or 10.1, please review the diagnostic step in this post to see if this is the issue you are facing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-slow-after-upgrading/5f91bbf7917fbb3a9935742e?commentId=5fa06f1e72a09d24e1c2b700 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Greetings All,

Update: 3/15/2021

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your continued patience.

This thread is tracking issues related to a small group of customers who are seeing issues with very slow UI speed in Lightroom Classic 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1001 Replies 1001
1,001 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you new to this thread, make sure you are hitting the "Like" button at the top of this thread so that we can keep an accurate count of those of you still experiencing this issue. 

Additionally, there is an Official Response on page one of this thread containing diagnosis steps and workarounds as well as updates when additional information becomes available. 

Thank you for your reporting and your continued patience. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched my monitor profile to sRGB with v10 and I had the recollection that it more or less fixed the issue. Now, in v10.1, the Library module is again much slower to browse than the Develop module. And that's with sRGB. With a custom profile, the Library module is just unusable.

I use a MP6,1 12 cores with 64 GB RAM - catalog and photos on M.2 SSDs - using either the D500 or a VEGA 56 in an eGPU, connected to a 5K screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This comment might be out of date but Lightroom with an eGPU used to either not work at all or delivered terrible performance. At least a year ago, I was researching an eGPU to use with a HP 5K monitor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk 

Can you link to that Office Response - I've not been able to figure out where that is - there's so many threads about this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not identify an obvious link between Lightroom performance issues and the use of eGPU. In this particular case (Library module much slower than the Develop one), the use of the internal GPU or eGPU does not seem to make any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Lightroom Classic 10.1 is absolutely slow and laggy. Switching the display profile to Internet sRGB and speed is back to normal. Selecting any other profile and Lightroom is slow again.

macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Mac Pro (2019)

2,5 GHz 28-Core Intel Xeon W

96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB

Apple Pro Display XDR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mac_nick Did you do a clean install of the OS and then LR10.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. OS was stock. LR update was the background install through Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just have to wonder why my experience that I posted 3 days ago was different from your experience. 

Mac Pro (2019)

3.3 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon W

192 GB 2933 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB

I have not installed LR10.1 on the stock OS that came with the machine. The new install on new partition plus migration form the old machine/Mojave is working fine though at some point when time permits I do want to do clean install of the apps I use on the clean OS partition. I will do an install of LR10.1 first to test. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Adobe RGB and sRGB monitor profiles do not fix the problem for me. What else could this be?

2013 Mac Pro, Dual AMD D700 Firepro, multiple NVME SSDs, LG 27" 4k display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was so excited when I saw there was an update to lightroom from v 10 to 10.1. I thought, I hoped, its the fix we have all here been waiting for... sadly no. If anything I feel it is even slower, no improvement at all. 

When will this be fixed??? So frustrating. And now on top of that I have gotten an email that my subscription price is changing from January. Its going up!! Why do I (and others) have to pay more for less? 

This is a huge bug surely we can expect a fix soon?

Since Christmas is fast approaching perhaps it is Father Christmas I should be asking and not adobe so "Dear Santa I wish for Christmas a lightroom version 10.xx that works..." 

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Rikk 

Hello Rikk,

I have changed the monitor setting to both sRGB and AdobeRGB. Both did not bring success. If I move the slider of e.g. Dynamic several times from right to left it suddenly hangs. It takes more seconds until the program reacts again. From this point on, lightroom reacts only very slowly. Also, the preview is no longer displayed correctly. In my last attempt, the edited image was displayed with a green bar that took up about a quarter of the image. I can also send you the lightroom system information text file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I went back and tested LR10.1 on the old 5.1 box with the AOC monitor. No slow down it was fast. Since the old NEC PA127W could no longer hit 5000K or get above 80cd/m it was replaced on the main new 7.1 box. So I connected the old NEC PA127W to the 5.1 box using the same custom profile as before and tested it with LR10.1. I found it to be fast with no slowdowns as before with AOC connected. I decided to sleep on my finding and analyze this for awhile.

My thoughts now are that there is some possible caching corruption going on. Possible even font display that is triggered by LR10.1 that isn't by LR9.4. On the 5.1 box the OS is exactly the same as before when LR10.1 was extremely slow. Only thing I did was have another monitor on it for a while. I am thinking that possibly seeing that new monitor changed the caches or ini files that the driver/OS uses for display settings. This would could explain the randomness of this slowdown and why some see changes when going to sRGB or the Low Res setting and why it makes no improvement for others. 

Since now I no longer have this problem I can not test this, but for those of you that can here is what I would do. 

If you have another monitor hook it up. If LR10.1 is now fast go back to your regular monitor.

If you don't have the ability to hook up another monitor, flush all your caches to see if that will make any difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on earlier suggestions I tried checking the "Open in low resolution" option in the Finder "Get info" panel for the Adobe Lightroom Classic application.  When I re-started Lightroom, the performance was greatly improved.  At least for me, this is a much better workaround than assigning an sRGB display profile (in fact, I haven't been able to see much of a difference between running in "low resolution" and "high resolution" mode for my work yet).  This is on a 2020 27" iMac running on Catalina with only the native display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On closer examination of more detailed images, you definitely lose fine detail in low-resolution mode (not surprisingly).  So, I guess you have to pick your poison until we have a fix - lose color accuracy by assigning sRGB as the display profile, or lose fine detail by opening in low-resolution mode...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here a quick update from my end: I've recently performed a clean install of Mojave 10.14.6 on my MacPro5,1 (upgraded to 2x 3.46GHz, 64GB, RX580 8GB, NVMe SSD) without using migration tools of any sort. I only migrated my LR settings, not the prefs. I also re-calibrated my displays, resulting in new ICC-Profiles. When using the new profiles or the default ones provided via DDC by the displays, there is absolutely no change in LRc 10.1 compared to the old install: library functionality is painfully slow. So I'm back to using the sRGB profile on my secondary display. Just in case this this is of relevance to anyone from Adobe who might be reading this: on my previous boot partition, I had CS6 installed, now I don't. So that doesn't seem to be a factor.

Adobe, pretty please get this sorted ASAP - it's a proper nuisance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Ron_Pfister Thank for posting this. So now I really have no ideal why LR10.1 is now fast in Library on my old 5.1 box. New 7.1 also is working fine. Hope it stays that way. Just hope Adobe gets this figured out for all you that suffer through this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your good wishes - I do hope they will be heard... 

It certainly does look like a complex issue, but at least at my end, it's readily reproducible - which means to me that Adobe by now must have a test system that falls in the same category. Now they just have to figure out how to fix it - hopefully before the developers and Q/A-folks disappear into their well-earned Christmas holidays. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After experiencing extremely slow performance with LR10.1, perpetual spinning beach balls and occasional crashes using my 2018 iMAC (Mojave 14.6) I switched to my MacBookAir (mid-2013, also Mojave 14.6) and performance is back to normal. ???????

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the bug doesn't affect all Mac's; zero issues on my 2019 MacBook Pro 15". 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Ron_Pfister Did you try zaping the P-Ram. I am still scratching my head as to why my 5.1 had that slow problem and now does not. What could I have done that caused the change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - both nvram and smc reset. There’s clearly a configuration-specific bug at play here. I’m not going to spend more time troubleshooting this. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with either my hardware or software setup. This one’s for Adobe to figure out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you there. Even though somehow I now have two computers with LR10.1 running without the slowness, but since this is such a mystery I don't trust using it in case the slowness comes back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey y'all, 

I updated my iMac 27" late 2015 to Big Sur at now I am facing the following problems. 

Develop Module in LRC and LR and Camera RAW make the Computer freeze and force an automated restart.

I updated and reinstalled LR, LRC and PS already.

What can I do? 

Thanks for your help

Ecki

Votes

Translate

Translate