Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow UI when using Mac and Custom Display Profile

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since upgrading to Lightroom Classic v10.0, all UI-related functionality is painfully slow. All editing functions are working correctly and quickly but scrolling through the catalogue or even scrolling a side panel is taking many long seconds to refresh. Unreasonably long.

Disabling GPU Accellaration has no affect on my Lightroom's performance.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software.

If it's 10.0 or 10.1, please review the diagnostic step in this post to see if this is the issue you are facing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-slow-after-upgrading/5f91bbf7917fbb3a9935742e?commentId=5fa06f1e72a09d24e1c2b700 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Greetings All,

Update: 3/15/2021

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your continued patience.

This thread is tracking issues related to a small group of customers who are seeing issues with very slow UI speed in Lightroom Classic 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1001 Replies 1001
1,001 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FCbee  The poster deleted the post. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a late 2020 iMac, upgrade to the max on ram, GPU and CPU. 

LR Classic is laggy and horrible to use. Local adjustments are unusable. 

I contacted Adobe 4 times and they claim to know nothing about this issue. Then I saw this thread so know that’s not correct. 

sadly 10.2 does not fix it for me. I’m at my wits end, as a pro photographer I need to get this working as I can’t edit shoots.

Any suggestions? I have tried everything I think apart from 1) the colour profiles and downgrading to 9.x. 

neither of these are acceptable as I have a v10 catalog and also need calibrated displays. 

Any help hugely appreciated. 

Nick 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nick_church_hbl0zc9vlqwo3 Firstly, try with the sRGB display profile and see if it is the same problem. The problem was pretty much related to the UI responsiveness in the library module (scrolling in a grid view, etc.) and not the develop module.  If it's not this problem then there is little value trying to get help with it in this thread. 

BTW, the current ICC profiles fix doesn't extend to *publish services* (normal library folders and collections are fixed). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nick_church_hbl0zc9vlqwo3 

I contacted Adobe 4 times and they claim to know nothing about this issue.

It's amazing. How comes that people at the help desk is not informed on pending issues (even if allegedly solved now) ?

This is a 6 months / 243 messages / 9.2 k views thread. It should ring some bells at the help desk. Or maybe this department has been meanwhile delocalized to the moon, or even beyond…

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nick_church_hbl0zc9vlqwo3 See my post right above yours, and follow the advice. It's your MacOS that's the problem, not LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your post. I did as you said but unfortunately it didn’t work for me.

Does anyone know if OS 11.3 fixes these issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nick_church_hbl0zc9vlqwo3

Hi Nick, I’m in the same boat.

Same Mac. Same job.

I’ve been experiencing serious issues with LRC and Photoshop for months now, with no fix or useful feedback from Adobe or Apple.

My workflow has ground to a halt, seriously affecting my work.

I’ve been using Macs and Adobe for years and years, and am totally dependent on them for my business.

I’m at a loss to understand how and why they can allow this to happen in the first place, and to then offer no help, no solution, no apology. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s so frustrating. It can work fine for 10 mins and then local adjustments, particularly the brush, become unusable. 

When I look at Activity Monitor nothing is using the CPU or GPU and there is tonnes of memory left so it’s baffling what is going on. 

my workflow on the current edit is:

- Use GPU for most of the edit as it’s so much more reproduce when changing sliders. 

- If If i need to do brushing, then turn off gpu. This releases the brush cursor, so at least you can move it without glitching. The effect of the brush lags way behind so it’s still not ideal.

- Every now and then i will restart lightroom and give myself the luxury of 5 mins of perfect performance before the nonsense all starts again. 

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funny, for me it is sometimes slow and sometimes snappy. I can't find any relationship to any variable I can understand, though it seems to get slower the longer I work, and especially if I've been working it hard. Restarting LR seems to help quite often, but that's obviously a hiccough on workflow. It's pretty common for me to be a couple of steps ahead of the app in my workflow on a modern Mac with plenty of RAM. I'm doing things and LR is lagging my actions. Still. Current version of LR, Catalina 10.15.7. I've been using LR since the beta, before v1, and v10 is the worst. I wish I had stayed with 9 but it's too late now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jlehet This is exactly my experience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update my post one month ago…

After trying all advices nothing worked for me.

The only solution I managed is restarting LrC every 20 or 30 minutes, it’s not good but I found it acceptable for my work.

Very recently I did upgrade to MacOs 11.3 but nothing changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@joao_ferrand That suggests you may have a different problem, since this bug does appear to have been fixed. Perhaps you could start a new thread describing the issues you're having and including your specs from Help menu > System Info and we can help you troubleshoot further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nick_church_hbl0zc9vlqwo3 If you're on 10.2, continued issues would suggest you have a different problem. Can I get you to start a new thread and include your specs from Help menu > System Info please, and we'll see if we can help you investigate further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria, new thread started here: Lightroom Classic slow and stirring on new, top-spec iMac

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though I think it's possible (without knowing any inside info, of course), that this "fix" is not tested in real world pounding for a long stretch. It's easy for me to freshly launch LR and perceive it to be working; everything fine and snappy. But 500 or whatever high res images (40+ megapixel raw files) later, it's just as likely I'll start praying someone else will make a LR alternative. It usually takes at least a bit of serious work and not casual poking around, to get it to be aggravating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do agree that there may be different interpretations of what is 'acceptable' and what is 'unusable'. 10.2 may have been made acceptable for many, but if they use the product in anger for 10 minutes they'd realise the issue re-appears.

Or maybe what I consider to be 'unusable' is fine for many people. In any case, I run courses on LR and I cannot even show attendees how to use the brush control at the moment.

I have started a new thread anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Victoria, I will follow nick_church new thread as I think my problem is the same, or related.

I will post some more details there and if necessary I will start a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still so painful.  How can a $13,000 Mac Pro be so god awful?  Adobe please figure this out already.  I can use Lightroom for about 15 mins before it bogs down and is absolutely unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you macOS 11.2 or newer? If not you are possibly being affected by a memory leak that was fixed with 11.2. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that impact Catalina? I have this problem intermittently on Catalina. It varies from excruciating to no-problem, and I can't find any reason, though it is usually, not always, worse as a session with LR goes on for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All software both OS and Lightroom are both up to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris Hood Totally agree. I have spoken to Adobe who claim there is no issue reported on this. 

pretty outrageous really!!!

I have found the latest MacOS to be slightly better, but honestly, when doing a professional edit at speed it is carnage. So slow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's absurd. This computer has been out for long enough now there should be a legit fix.  So frustrating.  My 16" MBP is faster and more useable than my New Mac Pro and that sholdnt be the case.

Adobe please fix lightroom for us New Mac Pro users and not just a temporary fix that seems good while on the phone with tech support but as soon as you actually dive in and start working it goes back to complete shit in no time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris Hood  This specific issue is already fixed and confirmed by those on the thread.  Since your current issue does not relate to this thread, I would recommend your posting on a thread where active participation from engineering is happening germaine to your current issue.  It would be more useful to include actual data rather than vague descriptions.

Example:

At startup, it takes the exposure slider no time to update the screen - 20 minutes in it takes 3 seconds.

or

At startup Exporting 50 images takes 2 minutes and 30 seconds- 3 hours in it takes the same images 25 minutes and 15 seconds.

Lastly, actual version numbers of your OS, Lightroom and specific specs about your computer are always helpful necessary.

Here is an example thread that might apply to you. https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-slow-and-stuttering...  Read it and if it matches your system's behavior, consider posting there. 

Thanks!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There IS a problem here however, and with a career running a software testing company, it's rather frustrating to be told by Adobe that there is nothing wrong. 

Here is the thread that describes the issue people are seeing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-slow-and-stuttering...

Votes

Translate

Translate