• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform doesn't copy/sync correctly

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transform settings don't always copy/sync correctly to other photos. To reproduce:

1. Download this photo and make a copy of it in the same folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dflc03vke3be0zb/transform-bug.2020.02.19.jpg?dl=0

2. Import both photos.

3. Select both photos and go to Develop.

4. In the Transform panel, click Auto.

5. Click Sync, check only Upright Mode, then Synchronize.

6. Observe that the two photos have been transformed slightly differently.

7. Reset the develop settings of both photos.

8. Repeat steps 4 - 6, but this time check Upright Transforms in Sync.

9. Observe that the two photos have been transformed slightly differently.

See this thread for the original reports:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/transform-tool-problems-since-latest-update-in-ligh...

Tested in LR 9.2 / Mac OS 10.14.6.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
40 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this too!  This feature is critical to my photography business and workflow.  I reverted back to 9.1 until this is resolved.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

There is more issues with transform than what you have listed.

According to Adobes woefully outdated helps files the copy/paste, sync and AutoSync is supposed to work as documented here.

This is also documented in an always excellent blog by Julianne Kost in the following link
https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2013/04/lightroom-5-beta-upright-sync-behavior.html

Unfortunately the copy/paste etc of Transform Auto. Level, Vertical etc. works the opposite of what it is supposed to do and in one scenario will not show the result till you cursor off and back on the photo.  

Original photos

Scenario 1 using Autosync

Select the two photos
Turn on AutoSync
Do Auto in Transform

You get the following result which is opposite of the documented behavior

Scenario 2 using Copy/Paste or Sync with "Upright Mode" in the Copy/Paste dialog

Select the left photo
Do Auto in Transform
Select Copy and chose only "Upright Mode" and hit Copy
Select the right photo
Select Paste

You get the following result which is opposite of the documented behavior

Scenario 3 using Copy/Paste or Sync with "Upright Transformations" in the Copy/Paste dialog

Select the left photo
Do Auto in Transform
Select Copy and chose only "Upright Transformations" and hit Copy
Select the right photo
Select Paste

When you first Paste you get the following result which should be the documented behavior

BUT, click the left photo and then the right photo and it changes to the following which is opposite of the documented behavior.

Even though the end result is wrong, the fact you have to click off and then back on the photo to make it work is especially disconcerting to the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@john Ellis
I can replicate the scenario you outline in your post.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thanks for reporting the issue.
I was able to reproduce the issue that you have mentioned(in Mac 10.15). However, I could see that the 'Upright mode' issue was present in 9.1(with sync) as well.
However, the 'Upright transforms' issue was not seen in 9.2.
Is this what you are seeing too?
We are investigating the same. 

Thanks,
Arjun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

Is this issue similar to what John has posted?
If it is different, could you please provide sample images for us to investigate the same?

Thanks,
Arjun

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arjun
Here are the two original images.   They are just two brick wall photos from the internet that I took into photoshop and rotated and saved and then flipped horizontal and saved.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arjun

This is definitely a different problem than the one John posted.  In Johns scenario the Copy/Paste resulted in a different adjustment of the house.  Here the result of the copy/paste results in the SAME correction in the 3 different scenarios but the results are the opposite what is in the documentation.  In addition, in scenarios 3 you have to click off and on the photo to make the result happen.  

<removed>

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only tested 9.2 and saw issues with both Upright Mode and Upright Transforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scenario 3 in my above post is the only one that is working correctly in 9.3r.  Same in 9.2.1r1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this problem. It started a couple months ago.

I shoot multiple images of a room using a sturdy tripod so alignment of the original, un-transformed images is precise (I've been doing this for a over a decade). After correcting perspective in one image - using either auto, guided or vertical - I am unable to consistently sync those corrections to the other images in the series.  Sometimes a couple of the images will sync properly, but most of the time the other images do not match the correction done to the original shot.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it's a minor variation. Other times it will even crop into some of the images. At times it seems that when I leave an image and return to it, it has changed the correction yet again.

I've noticed that the sync looks good on the thumbnails until I click on them. Then they shift to some random new perspective.

I've tried turning 1:1 previews on and off. Turning the graphics processor on and off. Increased the cache size. Nothing worked.

Note: I used to get this occasionally on vertically oriented images in the past. Now it's on all images.

I just went back to an old folder from a couple years ago and some done in December of last year. When I originally processed those, everything worked fine. However, today they no longer are properly synced.

I'm running Lightroom Classic 9.2 on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to Lightroom Classic were released last night that address this issue. Please download the latest update via your Creative Cloud app and install. Please let us know if you continue seeing the issue after updating to 9.2.1. Thank you for your patience!
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk
Unfortunately this is still not fixed completely.

Johns issue and Scenario 3 of my issue are now working correctly.

Scenarion 1 and 2 of my issue are still broken as per the documentation and intended behavior.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

Those scenarios will be addressed in future releases. Our main focus for 9.2.1 were the issues that were regressed in 9.2

Thanks,
Arjun

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated LR.  Ran a few tests and my problem seems to have gone away!
If something changes I'll let you know.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still broken in 9.3

Johns issue and Scenario 3 of my issue are now working correctly.

Scenarion 1 and 2 of my issue are still broken as per the documentation and intended behavior.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you should open a new problem report with a step-by-step recipe. Evidently the symptoms you reported have a different cause then the original post here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe so.  The fixed my scenario 3 so I am still hoping for a fix for 1 and 2.  I doesn't affect me much but I know a couple users that have complained about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

The issue is not fixed in 9.3. We will update once this issue is fixed.

Thanks,
Arjun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR should allow the copying/syncing of the end result of a transform from one image to others. Even auto mode rarely produces the desired results when recomputed, and certainly in guided mode a copy should be based on the end result.

Adobe needs to provide choices here to the end user. I still can't, since this feature was introduced, understand how the current behavior has any value to anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but LR does let you choose whether to copy/sync the actual transform (the end result) or have Auto recomputed on each target photo.

To copy/sync the actual transform (the end result), check Upright mode, Upright Transforms, and Transform Adjustments:

Image is not available

To copy/sync Auto and have it recomputed on each target photo, select just Upright Mode:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is SUPPOSED to copy sync the transforms but there are still bugs in Lr9.3 that prevent it from working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested Synchronize Settings with 'Vertical' Upright Mode and 'Constrain Crop' checked in the 'Transform' panel and found another issue.
With just 'Upright Mode' checked 'Constrain Crop' is not applied. If you also check 'Transform Adjustments' a crop is applied, but it is incorrect. If 'Upright' and 'Crop' are checked the 'Constrain Crop' is properly applied.
The 'Constrain Crop' setting when checked affects both Upright and Transform settings so should be synchronized or offered as a check box in the Synchronize Settings 'Transform' list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you sync with Upright Mode, Upright Transforms, and Transform Adjustments all checked? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird behavior with Constrain Crop isn't surprising. Internally, there's a single develop setting CropConstrainToWarp that's bound to two different check boxes in the UI, Crop Tool > Constrain To Image and Transform > Constrain Crop.  Checking one of the boxes checks the other one too.  I'm guessing the developers assumed that every develop setting is in precisely one category in the Copy/Sync window, which isn't true for CropConstrainToWarp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you sync with Upright Mode, Upright Transforms, and Transform Adjustments all checked?

It applies an incorrect Constrain Crop the same as just Upright Mode, Upright Transforms checked. I've updated the screenshot above to include this selection. The only Synchronize Settings that properly applies the Constrain Crop is with 'Upright Mode' and 'Crop' checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate