• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform doesn't copy/sync correctly

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transform settings don't always copy/sync correctly to other photos. To reproduce:

1. Download this photo and make a copy of it in the same folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dflc03vke3be0zb/transform-bug.2020.02.19.jpg?dl=0

2. Import both photos.

3. Select both photos and go to Develop.

4. In the Transform panel, click Auto.

5. Click Sync, check only Upright Mode, then Synchronize.

6. Observe that the two photos have been transformed slightly differently.

7. Reset the develop settings of both photos.

8. Repeat steps 4 - 6, but this time check Upright Transforms in Sync.

9. Observe that the two photos have been transformed slightly differently.

See this thread for the original reports:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/transform-tool-problems-since-latest-update-in-ligh...

Tested in LR 9.2 / Mac OS 10.14.6.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
40 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would delete my comment if I could.

The problem I ran into, back when Transform was introduced, apparently got fixed along the way. Since I had given up on it, I just changed my workflow and never revisited the function. I got into the habit of not copying the transform setting.

No, I sometimes don't want it recomputed. Initially, there was no option. Copying (e.g.) the "auto" setting was (originally) akin to clicking the auto button on the target image. At least to the best of my recollection.

The current behavior (crop constraints aside) are what I have always expected should (be a choice to make) happen: copy the end result of the transform to the new image.  So, problem solved (for me). Apologies for the bother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this ever work? Every day I have to go through every photo for every room that I shoot and click update... that's thousands of clicks per week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Will this ever work? Every day I have to go through every photo for every room that I shoot and click update... that's thousands of clicks per week."

What are the precise steps you're taking? Can you post screenshots before and after showing it not working the way you expect?

My tests of LR 10.2 show that Copy Settings and Sync Settings correctly copy the Transform Upright Mode (Auto, Guided, Level, Vertical), provided the source and destination photos don't have any prior crop angle applied via the Crop tool.   Auto Sync doesn't work, regardless of whether crop angle had been applied.

Precise steps:

1. Select all the photos.

2. Edit the first photo in Develop.

3. Do Transform > Auto.

4. Click Sync.

5. Click Check None, then Upright Mode, then Synchronize:

Here's the before and after:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done more thorough testing of copying Transform settings in LR 10.3, and generally it doesn't work correctly.  See here fo the test results:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-correct-copying-of-crops-an... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add that I'm seeing a behavior which I'm not sure has been mentioned in this thread (forgive me if I missed it). 

I'm copying Crop and Transform settings from one Raw file and pasting them on a file that is an HDR of that same Raw file and an additional Raw file. The values for horizontal an vertical adjusted get "switched" and inverted. See screenshots. 

Copy:

copy.png

These are the transform values that I copy:

values.png

This is what is pasted:

paste.png

These images are all shot on tripod in near automatic fashion, so the image content varies mainly in exposure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue still persists with vertical images only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using version 10.4 and this is still an issue with vertical images only for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like there are some other users with issues with copying/pasting transforms but this specific problem is related to HDR images and easy to recreate:

Make an HDR image within Lightroom from multiple exposures.  Apply a transform to that HDR image.  When copying that transform from the HDR image to one of the original single exposure images the Vertical and Horizontal values get switched and reversed.  Example - if you put +5 in the Horizontal setting on the HDR image and copy that transform to one of the orginal (non-HDR) images the +5 setting turns into a -5 setting on the Vertical setting.  Very strange behavior.. suprised if this has not been reported before but I see no reference to it.   Has been an issue for several years.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not duplicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem isn't related to HDR per se -- it's another instance of a general problem that has always existed in LR, copying develop settings between photos with different internal orientations. While Adobe has fixed some of the specific instances, many are still not fixed and likely never will be:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-transform-doesn-t-copy-sync-correctly/idi-p/... 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-correct-copying-of-crops-and-local-adjustme... 

Over the years, Adobe has given conflicting answers as to whether it considers this issue a bug or "as designed".

Likely in your example, the original exposures were in portrait mode out of the camera. Those photos are represented internally as a landscape array of pixels with an orientation tag of 90- or 270-degree rotation. The DNG produced by Photo Merge > HDR is represented internally as a portrait array of pixels with an orientation tag of 0 degrees rotation. LR continues to get horribly confused when copying various settings between photos that have different internal orientation tags.

The problem is easy to reproduce:

1. Take a landscape JPEG straight from the camera.

2. Do Photo > Rotate Right.

3. Export the photo as a JPEG and import it into the catalog.

4. Select both photos and do Photo > Rotate Left. The original photo has internal orientation "AB" and the exported photo "DA", but they appear visually identical.

5. On the original photo, set Transform > Vertical to +50.

6. Select both photos, with the original most-selected. Do Sync Settings with just Manual Transform selected.  Observe that the two photos now look different, and that Transform > Vertical of the second photo is 0 and Transform > Horizontal is +50.

7. Reset both photos, and repeat steps 5 - 6 for Horizontal, Aspect, X Offset, and Y Offset. For each setting, the two images will look different.

There's also a similar bug with Rotate -- it doesn't copy correctly to mirrored orientations, e.g. from "AB" to "BA".

Sync Settings used to copy Transform > Vertical and Horizontal correctly. But I suspect in some version after LR 11.3, the Camera Raw team changed the internal API for copying settings, and LR wasn't changed accordingly.  

My Copy Settings plugin used to copy the Manual Transforms correctly, but I think that same change in Camera Raw broke it. I will release version 1.25 in a day or so that again copies Manual Transforms correctly.

My Copy Settings plugin correctly copies Manual Transforms. (I must have been hallucinating when I tested it yesterday.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: My Copy Settings plugin correctly copies Manual Transforms. (I must have been hallucinating when I tested it yesterday.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you test this on vertical images? It is absolutly still an issue. On vertical images only. If you only apply manual changes works fine. The problem is when you apply a transform change in the slider bar. It reverses the values between images. It's a bug with vertical images and has been for many years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Patrick330189072io7, "Did you test this on vertical images? It is absolutly still an issue. On vertical images only. If you only apply manual changes works fine. The problem is when you apply a transform change in the slider bar. It reverses the values between images. It's a bug with vertical images and has been for many years now."

If you're replying to me, I agree that's still an issue. I posted the original report in this thread and retested it most recently four days ago:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-transform-doesn-t-copy-sync-correctly/idc-p/...

But note that the issue is not caused by portrait orientation per se, but rather by the source and destination photos having different internal orientation tags.  For example, a portrait photo taken by a camera will typically be represented by a landscape array of pixels with an orientation tag of 90 or 270 degrees. But if you edit that photo in Photoshop and save it as a TIFF, the TIFF will be represented as a portrait array of pixels with an orientation tag of 0 degrees. It's the mismatch of orientation tag that confuses LR copying many develop settings, not just Transform.

A workaround is to use the Copy Settings plugin rather than the built-in Sync/Copy commands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you I will try the copy and paste setting technique.

Votes

Translate

Translate