• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt not read on Mac

LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the release of CC 2015.8 / 6.8, it's no longer possible to modify TranslatedStrings.txt for English users on Mac. LR ignores the file:

/Applications/Adobe Lightroom/Adobe Lightroom.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt

Whereas on Windows, LR does read:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\en\TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt

I confirmed this using "dtruss" on Mac and Process Monitor on Windows.

This affects a large number of users who had relied on editing TranslatedStrings.txt:

- To provide keyboard shortcuts for commands that don't have them and that don't appear in the menus (e.g. Toggle5Shortcut for assigning the purple label).

- To change keyboard shortcuts for commands that don't appear in the menus, e.g. BrushDecreaseKey. Some users report using keyboards for other languages (e.g. German) that they use with LR running in English, and the English shortcuts don't always map well to non-English keyboards.

- The Keyboard Tamer plugin relies on editing the English TranslatedStrings file.

Given that LR has long lacked a user interface for customizing keyboard shortcuts (one of the most popular feature requests), the ability to edit TranslatedStrings has provided a relief valve for user frustration.  Taking away that ability on Mac will just increase their frustration. (On Mac, System Preferences can set shortcuts for menu commands, but not for commands that don't appear in menus.)

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
25 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already bugged this internally as LRD-4194239 too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There are more bugs related to this change. Some commands that were previously recognized are now ignored. For example “$$$/Application/Menu/File/Exit/Key=..." is now ignored. Ctrl+Q seems to be now hard coded. I have other similar examples  :

"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Photo/RotateLeft/Key=...
"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Photo/RotateRight/Key=...
"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/File/Edit/InvertSelection/Key=...

just to name a few. These commands inserted in TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt are ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some further testing this morning and actually, the command "$$$/Application/Menu/File/Exit/Key=..." worked again as expected in TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt after I temporarily switched to another language.

Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria Bampton, we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chiming in here to +1 this bug. I know this is a backdoor "feature", but I've come to rely on it. It's absolutely essential to my LR use to have customized controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been months. Fix this, Adobe.

As a non-English keyboard user I can't use these one-key shortcuts:
  • Before/After
  • Deselect Active Photo
  • Toggle Flag
  • Show Filter Bar
Those functions have one-key shortcuts for keys that do not exist on non-English keyboards.

Those functions can have two-or-more-key shortcuts made via macOS Preferences, but no one-key shortcut can be made.

I can't understand how come on other Adobe apps (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) I can remap shortcuts in-app but not on Lightroom.

And now not even with workarounds. This affects my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why isn't there a fix already? It's been months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, can you confirm this was fixed in 2015.9/6.9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, works on my CC 2015.9 / OS X 10.12.3.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Victoria Brampton: 

Have you seen comment by John R. Ellis (latest post) which seems to confirm that this is working?

Also I am using CC 2015.9/OS X 10.12.3, but still no go.

It used to work for years, when my translatedstrings.txt file was placed in Applications/Adobe Lightroom/Adobe Lightroom/Contents/Resources

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I am using CC 2015.9/OS X 10.12.3, but still no go.

It used to work for years, when my translatedstrings.txt file was placed in Applications/Adobe Lightroom/Adobe Lightroom/Contents/Resources

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bent, double check what you're doing against my updated instructions: How do I change or create keyboard shortcuts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works again for me, too. Bent, what has changed is that the file isn't just named TranslatedStrings.txt anymore but TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt (if it is intended for the en.lproj folder in Resources).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well lo and behold, it works again.  After a long pause it’s like coming back home, and your favorite meal is cooking on the stove.  Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life is beautiful again, thank you for helping me out, there ought to be a Nobel-prize here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me too, I had a TranslatedStrings migrated from Windows and switching to another language worked well. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is still watching this thread, help appreciated: On my Mac folder path hierarchy I cannot find these folders called "Contents" + "Resources" anywhere on my computer. I was hoping to add the hack to assign a shortcut to color Purple using the method above. I running Mac 10.11.6 and LR 6.10.1  Stand alone version (not CC or subscription) on an "an old" Mac Pro 2008 with updated graphics and plenty of memory. Does anyone know where these folders are on my Mac? Finder Search turned up blank. In the attached image thats all I see on the Path. Clicking on Adobe Lightroom app just opens the Application.
 RackMultipart20180316495713lq2-a5de1066-3930-403d-b9fe-90c02d438f3f-2033077149.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click this first icon (the app itself) and choose "show package contents" 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU, Leo, Sounds easy , I'll give it a try when I get back to the desktop 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, it is. Just give an extra shout if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leo, Ok I have got the folder and txt file in the right place I think, but I must have the wrong code. 
I want to add a keyboard shortcut for labeling Photo=Purple.(And then perhaps try others in the future.) 

I tried these two code strings but neither seem to work
“$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Photo/Label/Toggle5Shortcut=Ctrl+9” (incl. the quotes)
“$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Photo/Label/PurpleShortcut=Ctrl+9” 

both gave me a Blue label (instead of purple when I tried keyboard Ctrl+9. "Command+9" would be even nicer if that is possible.

PS EDITED Maybe I should just try the Mac OS "change keyboard shortcut method" described here https://www.lightroomqueen.com/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/  BTW I am using a Japanese keyboard with English Mac OS, not sure if that makes any difference. 
RackMultipart20180316126408cuw-dbbc3d30-741e-410b-abcc-17b6ec432025-1466737111.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got me. You could search here and on the internet for more codes that work for a variety of things. I just use it to create a folder with some date parameters and a folder inside "RAW" to store the CR2 files imported from the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll go back to the place I found this code and check again. At least I know where to put it know!
“$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Photo/Label/Toggle5Shortcut=Ctrl+9” (incl. the quotes)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for posting your response in any way, it will help others in a future!

Votes

Translate

Translate