• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Unexpected error opening catalog on macOS

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Lr Classic. "8.4 Release". My catalog that has all of my pictures, and that I have always used on a daily basis, will not open. What is the issue?!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Updating Status

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
28 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reboot? It may also be a corrupt cache or application state, or directory damage. Please give your Mac the "once over"! Run the free Onyx (https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/o...), reboot. (In Onyx just run almost everything in the Maintenance tab, deselecting things you may not want deleted, like Launch Services . Hit the "Options" button and deselect more stuff like Cookies & Other Site Data, Browser History, Form Values, etc.), then hit Run Tasks. After it's done it will ask for a reboot.

If that doesn’t work try launching Lightroom from your other (admin or test) account, with a new catalog, as a test. Does it run OK? If it does it may be a corrupted preference in your Username/Library folder. Check The Lightroom Queen site for instructions on how to reset your preferences (https://www.lightroomqueen.com). Basically:
1. Close Lightroom.
2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.
3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.
4. Close Lightroom.
5. Restart Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2019 Aug 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barnett, 
Which OS are you facing this issue? Do you have a .lock file next to the catalog on your system? 
If you hold down the Ctrl key (Windows) / Opt key (Mac), will it allow you to create a clean catalog?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running OS Mojave 10.14.5, which actually has an update. Could this be the issue? I do not believe I have a .lock file next to the catalog on my system. If you mean physically next to my catalog on my HD, I only have a .lrdata file near it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a 404 error with the https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/o  link. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I’ll fix it. In the meantime Google “Onyx Software”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .lockfile appears only when LR is open, it disappears when closed. If it’s there when closed, delete it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2019 Aug 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Carlos, hoping for some clarity on the below as I am on a work computer, which I cannot jeopardize. The "things you may not want deleted" particularly has me worried. 

"In Onyx just run almost everything in the Maintenance tab, deselecting things you may not want deleted, like Launch Services"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a view of my catalogs in my HD. The "primary" is the one I typically use, and the one that is producing the error. When I open Lr using the "backup", this is my view. It looks like there is a .lock file 2 files below the backup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could delete Launch Services (which just resets which app opens which files by default, but if you’ve ever changed that, with a right-click “Open with...”, you’d have to reset it (so unless there’s an issue with that I just leave it alone). Use your knowledge of internet browsing to save your browser history, form values, cookies, etc. if you don’t know what something means, like “cookies”, then do a web search for it. Generally it’s mostly the internet cache that you’re trying to delete in the Internet area. If you don’t understand something don’t delete it! Mostly you’re trying to get rid of caches, application states and saved versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm this is the correct Onyx software?
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlos, I am back. I downloaded and ran Onyx without success. Below is an image of what I cleared using it. Would this have been sufficient?

Alternatively, is there an Adobe support person I can communicate with? This is a massive roadblock in my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2019 Aug 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's sufficient. You can find the Adobe support number on their site? PS-don't upgrade the OS to 10.14.6 (it breaks the panorama function in LR). Also, have you tried opening one of the Backups (by double-clicking on one)? The Backup folder is in the same folder as your Lightroom catalog, generally in Pictures? Choose the most recent, if that's hosed then try other recent ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2019 Aug 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: details on how this problem was resolved here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent news. We may never get to the bottom of what corrupted the catalog (but it could have been the Dropbox sync), but I'm really pleased we got you back up and running!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help! One thing I notice now is I now have 2 separate Backups folders. One with my old backups, and a new one where any future backups will go it appears. Is this expected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure, maybe the Adobe employees or Victoria knows, but it’s not normal. Maybe if you “adopted” a backup as your new catalog it creates a new set of backups for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the backup dialog next pops up, you can set the location of your choice in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I manually move the location of the new backup to the original backup folder and then direct any future backups to the original folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2019 Aug 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can. It's purely a location set in that backup dialog, and once created, LR no longer tracks the backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 9.3, an update to Lightroom Classic, went live on June 15, 2020 and contains a fix for this issue. Please install the update and respond back if it does not cure the issue for you. Thank you for your patience!
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this not a known and acknowledged problem by Adobe? Any clue why they are not racing to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - this is a problem with the new LR 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating Status

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Victoria Bampton LR Queen I have the same error when I tried to open the catalog through the Dropbox sync but when I tried to open the catalogs that I downloaded (not from the dropbox) i'm not getting the error. Do you know what should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Danica22144838tv4b Check they've actually download, sometimes Dropbox Smart Sync doesn't actually download the files. You could also try copying them to another folder to see if they work.

Votes

Translate

Translate