Exit

Can't set Velvet Fine Art Paper in Media Type - Lightroom Classic 8.3.1 macOS

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

need your help in proper Print setting.

use OSX, Lr 8.3.1, color management be Canson ICC profile.

I'd like to use Canson Velin Museum Paper that needs to set up as Media Type: Velvet Fine Art Paper. BUT the Print Setting box can give me such option. Actually the Print Setting window (screen below) looks different that many "How to's" video on YouTube.

Appreciate very much your help.

Thank you,

Tomek

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 11.47.50 PM.png

Message was edited by: Sahil Chawla

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tomek,

As you're not able to select Velvet Fine Art Paper in Lightroom, could you please select Sheet as Feed?

Also, you first have to visit the Page Setup box and choose Rear Feed.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thank you of the answers.

few things:

#1:

I previously chose ICC specific profile for paper and printer (pls see the screenshot below). I print on Canson papers and got the ICCs from there. So this step I have done. But still according to the different video guides, people both setting Colour Management by ICC profile and setting media Type for Velvet Fine Art Paper (or other if this is a case, but I need Velvet)

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 9.05.18 AM.png

#2:

In Print Retting, under the "Media and Quality" there is no "Colour Matching" option (screen below). Also checked this before as on the guides I sow the you can select different media type, including Velvet. Actually this option also gone 😞

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 9.08.48 AM.png

#3:

In Page Setup, there is no option to choose Real Feed. Actually in Page setup it is only option to choose size and orientation. But In Print Setting there is option to choose "Feed From" (screen below) but there is no "Rear Feed" option. But I used Auto Select and feed the paper in the correct way for fine art papers.

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 9.15.35 AM.png

Please let me know if you have any other ideas how to find the Media Type option to select variants for different fine art papers like for example Velvet Fine Art Paper.

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TomekBroda  wrote

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 11.47.50 PM.png

So, in your screenshot I see a Print Srttings Dialog.

In the Lightroom Classic Print Module, over on the right, in the Print Job Panel, for Color Management, are yu slecting "Other" (Corect) for Profile, or did you leave it at "Managed By Printer"? (wrong)

After selecting "Other" a dialog should appear to select the printer/Paper

Oh, and you might need to visit Epson for the ICC profile (that particular paper might have been included in your driver install, it might not)

THIS

This.png

NOT THIS

Not This.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That particular ICC profile may not beavailable for yur particular printer. At leaset at Epson. Typically you would go to the Epson Page supporting your printer, and look at downloads, then ICC profiles. Now unless that particular profile somehow magically comes along for the ride when you install the print driver, You may be having an issue finding it, at least at Epson

For example: Epson SureColor P800 | SureColor Series | Professional Imaging Printers | Printers | Support | Epson...

In the ICC section, just some basic ones.

Followup, at the Epson page for the paper (perhaps) it sttates profile is provided with standard Epson driver, so perhaps.

Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper, 8.5" x 11", 20 sheets | Product Exclusion | Epson US

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, check that you do not have an additional printer to select, same make and model, but slightly different, then see if for that printer, when you clcik on that Media & Quality button, that Color Matching is or is not available.  OR Settings. Heck, double check that the one you posted has or has not a color matching option.

typically you will want ColorSync, and select other

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And read this forum, pay attention to downloading print driver (as in not the AirPrint one)

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=102792.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably going to have and talk to a rep at Epson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your MAC  bring up System Preferences, click on the Printers & Scanners presences, click on the + symbol to add a printer. their may be additional Epson SC-P800 entry’s,, one for directly connected, one for IP connected, one for Airprint (Bonjour?) connected, or perhaps just two if no. wifi on that printer.

These drivers have different options.

As for the feed, have no idea on that

Now I do not have your printer, I have a nice Stylus Pro 3880, and a cheap WF 4730. Lots of icy profiles for the first, none other than a generic ink jet ice profile for the second. The ice profiles for the 3880 are printer specific

ICC profiles, unless very simple, very limited are printer make and model specific, paper specific, and ink specific. A ice profile for Velvet Fine Art Paper, for the 3880 may not work for another printer not even same brand. First issue being ink type used, number of cartridges used, and how the printer deploys that ink.

Some paper manufacturers may let you know that an ice profile from your print mfg may work with paper not by the printer mfg Canon paper in an Epson),

Some paper company’s (actual paper mfg as opposed to a printer mfg) might provide icy profiles for their paper for various printers (Red Paper for example, Ilford for another)

And some photo web sites (third party’s) might have icy profiles they built fir various printers/paper (I do not have an example)

If you cannot find a icc profile for your printer/paper combo at Epson, or Canon (unlikely fir non Canon printers), the perhaps at some third party.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you're ROCK man! You gave the perfect solution. I was needed to instal EPSON printer and connect the printer via USB instead of AirPrint. All paper selections, fine art paper loading ... all back 🙂

THANK YOU ! you are the best

cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AirPrint driver was the problem, probably. With the full driver installed, you should be able to print with the paper choices you want through USB, wifi, or Ethernet (using regular IP network printing for the last two, not AirPrint).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the AirPrint was a problem. Added new printer instance and connect via USB. Now all work perfectly. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I had this exact same problem. I installed Epson printer via USB and removed Airprint and I got all my old panels back, enabling me to use profiles and advanced controls.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, talking about the print setup button, probably conflated everything. Typically you do not want the printer controlling color management, you want that via the ice profile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, you do mean Canson Velin Museum Paper, not Canon. Brand I am not familiar with.

This paper?: http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/products/velin-museum-rag

I see that site has icc profiles

Oh various printer mfg, various models, including yours I think

http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/icc-profiles

and some nice video tutorials

By the way, when adding that icc profile, one issue that can trip people up. Library folder, not the one in user folder, it is the one for the system. If you follow the tutorial at the canon website, you should be ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Saw the answer.

Hi, Were you able to fix it? I'm having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is using the Apple Airprint driver. NEVER do that. Use the drivers directly provided by EPSON. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines