• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Firefox and Lightroom Classic incompatability

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, If I open Lightroom Classic simultaneously with Firefox, my computer grinds to a halt. I am not the only one. One of my fellow writers at Fstoppers is experiencing the same issue.

When raising this with Mozilla support, the reply came back:

"Sounds like both Firefox and LightRoom is using the same memory locations an could be slowing down the process. This would be something you need to ask Adobe support since it seems to occur when Firefox and LightRoom process are both used."

I'm using Windows 10, with an AMD A10 processor and 32 GB RAM.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

In the meantime, an inquiry:

• Where do you keep your CAMERA RAW CACHE? /preferences/performance/Camera RAW CACHE/. What hard drive.
  • If C drive, do you have another drive?
  • How large do you allow it to get? What limit?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll help you figure this out. I'll need more info.

What version of Lightroom & the operating system are you working on? I am currently using the same apps together & I am unable to reproduce this on Windows 10 & 11.

Try disabling any plugins in Firefox & in Lightroom if you're using Lightroom Classic.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sameer, 12.1 Release and Camera Raw 15.1. This has been happening since before the latest update though. I'll try disabling the plugins and see what happens, Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have replied with more details below. Sorry, I probably should have added the reply to yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always the other guy whose doing it wrong 😉

If Mozilla think there's a memory conflict with Lightroom Classic, then it's for them to chase up with Adobe, not their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree to a certain extent, but it is equally Adobe's responsibility, especially as none of the other photography DAM or development apps have the same issues with Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the same token, LightRoom doesn't have this issue with other browsers - and it's easier to be flexible about the browser you use...

(In fact it doesn't happen with Firefox, here on my Win 10 Home machine.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, true for you, thank you, but I guess that has to do with personal priorities. Changing Browser for me would be a far bigger issue than now chagingpermanently away from Lightroom, especially as I have Firefox synchronised with all my devices. As I am not the only person experiencing the problem, it's also better for the issue to be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, no conflict (I have both running all the time). 

Best to contact Mozilla.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems here with Firefox and LrC. Windows 11 (but previously on Windows 10 and Windows 7 no problem either).

Have you looked into the plug-ins used by Lightroom Classic and the add-ons used by Firefox to see if one of those might be a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm giving those a go. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested on Win 10 and see no difference in Classic speed behavior, prior to or after launching Firefox. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess computers are so complex with such a variety of different hardware and software options, that what happens for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or it could be the answer from @Conrad C makes a lot of sense, and indicates that the reply from Mozilla staff was nonsense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, maybe so. But that doesn't help fix the problem either. It is significant that Firefox has no issues with any other development software and vice versa. It'll be one of those things where both manufacturers will want to wash their hands of the issue. The easiest option for me will be to delete my Photographers Plan, which is due for renewal soon. At least my experience will be an interesting article to publish!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you not find it strange that yourself and a colleague from Fstoppers are experiencing the issue with LrC/Firefox when other folk posting here with same applications aren't? May be, when writing up your experience you could include that observation as well. I mean, why pick on Adobe or Mozilla when the culprit might be in your own backyard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that reply. It was more about the customer service experience that I was considering writing about. As I pay a subscription to Adobe, I do expect them to provide a product that is compatible with my system, and give support if it isn't. From a customer point of view, being told by representatives of Adobe, (paid or volunteer) "I don't have that problem" is not entirely helpful.

I don't find it strange that others aren't having the same problem. When I look at these sorts of issues, there are inevitably people who do and don't get them. For example, I reviewed ON1 Photo Raw a while back, and someone replied that they had difficulties with it. I didn't, but I referred them to where they could get help. Looking through this forum, there are plenty of other reorts of people having rare and unusal issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was more about the customer service experience that I was considering writing about. As I pay a subscription to Adobe, I do expect them to provide a product that is compatible with my system, and give support if it isn't. 

By @ivortog

How to file a bug report with Adobe. 

Photoshop:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403

Lightroom:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12386373

Bug report template:

Issue

• Photoshop version
  • OS

Steps to reproduce:

1. ...
  2. ...
  3. ...

Expected result
Actual result

Note: what you may 'feel' is a bug, but others inside and outside of Adobe cannot replicate isn't a bug Adobe can fix. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

being told by representatives of Adobe, (paid or volunteer) "I don't have that problem" is not entirely helpful.

You should find it very helpful. It clearly suggests that the problem is with your local environment (which - as an aside - you can't seriously expect Adobe to take responsibility for) rather than anything inherent in LightRoom.

Most "rare and unusual" problems Lr users have, pretty much invariably track back to something about their machine: from what you've written so far there's no convincing reason at all to believe that you're an exception to that.

Specifically: you'd have to evidence that a LightRoom/Firefox contention that happens to you and not to others, is still inherently a LightRoom problem. You're going to struggle to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When raising this with Mozilla support, the reply came back:
"Sounds like both Firefox and LightRoom is using the same memory locations…”

By @ivortog

Technically, two applications literally using “the same memory locations” should be impossible on a modern operating system, and if it did happen, what should happen next is not slowdown but a crash of one or both applications, and possibly the operating system too. That’s not happening, it’s only a slowdown…so that explanation is unlikely. Maybe they meant that using those two applications together uses up too much memory, but again that is unlikely on a computer with 32GB RAM.

If there is a major slowdown, open Windows Task Manager and see if a specific process is using an unusually high amount of CPU, and if so, what is the name of that process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Please see my reply below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again all,
I have been doing some digging following the helpful  suggestions here. (Thanks all)
1. Disabling the plugins doesn't make any difference.
2. The issue occurs when I am in the Develop module, not in the Library. It can happen at any point while using the develop module, but definitely every time I try to apply a local adjustment. Switching back to the Library, which takes about ten minutes, does not correct the issue.
3. The entire computer grinds to a near halt.

You can see how slow the computer gets by the following screenshots where the snipping tool was able to get a screenshot of itself. Lightroom was not responding at this point and the selected raw image (.orf from an OM-1) would not display.

Capture 3.JPGCapture 2.JPGCapture.JPG
4. Sometimes System Interrupts and sometimes System processes show 100%.
5. Force stopping Firefox does not stop the issue, but force stopping Lightroom by ending the process does.

The issue doesn't exist with other browsers and Firefox does not exhibit this behaviour when using ON1 Photo Raw, DxO PhotoLab 6, Capture One,  or Lightroom (new version, not classic.)

Thank you.

Ivor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling the GPU. If doing so fixes the issue, then check that you have the most up to date driver. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that’s certainly weird. It shows that Lightroom Classic are both using 0% CPU and something called System Interrupts is using 100%. Using Google, System Interrupts is an OS reporting process and when it uses an abnormally high amount of CPU, the general advice seems to be to make sure drivers are up to date, and troubleshoot drivers and hardware using process of elimination.

One thing to look for: Is there any software running in the background that didn’t come with Windows but changes how it works system-wide, such as a keyboard shortcut customizer, window manager, network monitor/VPN, or anti-malware utility? I run some of those myself because good ones can be stable, but those kinds of processes can sometimes get wedged into things and cause unusual issues.

For example, one recent cause of serious slowdowns on Lightroom Classic forums was found to be anti-malware software that was over-zealously scanning the Lightroom Classic database.

All of those are just ideas for things to look for, because I don’t know what the real problem might be. Of course you are right in thinking it shouldn’t be happening, but it’s going to take some troubleshooting to figure it out. Chances are it is not actually a problem with an application such as Firefox or Lightroom Classic, the problem is more likely to be something directly wired into the system like driver software or a background process not installed by Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that it only happens in develop makes me think this might be a GPU issue. Does it still happen if you disable the GPU in Lightroom? What kind of GPU do you have? Are the drivers fully up to date? I don't use windows but there is probably a way to show the GPU resources in task manager. See if they max out. Lightroom Classic is VERY GPU intensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines