• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Folders Frustration in Library Module

New Here ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lrc on a Windows 10 computer (FWIW), with all my documents (including "Pictures") on a seperate 9but internal) hard drive from the system drive. So Windows "Pictures" folder location is successfully located on the D: drive... D:/.../Documents/My Pictures. New photos successfully import into subfolders organized by date.

The problem is with the Lrc Library module Folders organization. While in the past, I had everything organized under "My Pictures" import has been putting the imported folders at the same level as "My Pictures" instead of putting them in subfolders of "My Pictures."

That is, I have "new" folders in the library module where 2021/(date of shot) photos appear seperate from and at the sme indenture level as "My Picutres." The photos are physically located properly, but Lrc isn't showing them as such.

The work-around (that I'm getting tired of) is to remove those ffolders from the catalog, and then re-import via re-syncronizing the "My Pictures" Library folder.

So what do I need to change to have the library module show the folders without the split?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

- Arved

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screen capture of this problem. Use the "Insert Photos" icon to include your screen capture in your reply. Do not attach files.

Also, please state the version NUMBER of your Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Library-Folder.pngImport-Destination.png

Lrc version 11.3.1

Firstt image is the Catalog folders, showing my last couple of imports not going into the "My Pictures" folder, even though they are there. If I delete the folders from the catalog, and sync the year folder under "My Pictures," they are cataloged as intended. This is new behavior for the last couple updates.

The second image shows the relavent import settings.

Sorry for the delay responding. I never got e-mail notification of the replies.

Respectfully submitted,

- Arved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure where the capitalization error might be:PC.pngDOS.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what Import 'Date Format' are you using to Organize?

2022-05-03 16_45_41-Lightroom.jpg

What 'Parent' folder do you have selected (highlighted) in the Destination Panel of the Import dialog.

ScreenShot166.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought, the screen capture you posted suggests that your system has a My Pictures folder and a Pictures folder.

Try the following in the LrC Library module right click on the "My Pictures" folder and there should be an option "show parent folder" click on that option.

Let us know what what happens?

Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 5.59.40 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picked this up ages ago....

To help keep the folders in a tree view, import a single (junk) image in the root folder of your image organization.

Otherwise, doing a "show parent folder" on the imported folders may help.

I also find it way helpful to NOT use the Windows "pictures" folder as my images root. I have a "/from_camera" folder at the root of the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also support using a folder other than "pictures" for the library's source images and also for the Catalog location.

For one thing, one may wish to use more than one computer user account. Furthermore, occasionally a user account / its settings becomes corrupted and then the simplest way may be to begin a fresh one. In that case the contents of the folders dedicated to that initial older user, would become inacessible due to user specific permissions - or even, may have been deleted from the computer in the course of cleaning out that older user account.

By making these files and folders user-neutral various potential issues can be simply avoided - the security of this data is not necessarily impaired by putting files outside of any particular computer user's files area; that is no different after all, than when saved to an external connected drive.

One issue which is circumvented is that nice little "gotcha" whereby if you say you would like identified kinds of user files backed up to cloud, Windows changes the actual disk location of Pictures / Desktop /(etc) entities, putting them inside a different "OneDrive" local folder from where they can be cloud-synced. That changes the location path of all this stuff, so far as Lightroom Classic sees it. Personally I don't reimport my Exports to Catalog so I won't mind what shenanigans Windows indulges in with "My Pictures" - which for convenience, is where my Exports are typically made.

But the source image folders that LrC is managing really ought IMO to live in a completely static, standard, prosaic folder: the real address of which Windows will never then helpfully 'conceal' or 'virtualise'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines