• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU problems on Lightroom with the new macOS Sonoma 14

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've recently encountered a problem with GPU use in Adobe Lightroom.

Lightroom Classic has been running pretty smoothly for me up until I updated my Macbook Pro 16-inch 2019 to the new macOS Sonata 14. Now, the pictures go completely black in development mode and would only work if I turn the GPU acceleration off, making the software run much slower.

Since the Macbook is running on AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, I tried looking for driver updates for this specific GPU but found out that there is no option to install driver updates manually.

Will Adobe release an update to fix this issue or is there something I can try to make my Lightroom run on GPU?

I'm using the Macbook Pro 16-inch, 2019. 2.4GHz 8-Core Intel Core i-9 processor. AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB. 32GB RAM 2667MHz DDR4. Running Lightroom v13.2

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Adobe recommends disabling the use of the Intel GPU:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html#solution-4 

https://support.apple.com/en-in/102265

If that doesn't help:

LR is very sensitive to bugs in graphics drivers (of which there are many). Unfortunately, on Mac you have to wait for AMD to update the driver they supply to Apple and then for Apple to release a new version of Mac OS. 

The AMD Radeon Pro 5500M is 4.5 years old. There have been many posts here about Mac use

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version of Sonoma?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While there may be a fix (I am not aware of one), you have a very old GPU that does not meet the minimum memory requirements for LrC 13.2, which is 2GB of GPU memory https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

My recommendation is that you update your GPU itself to a much newer and more powerful GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB = "very old"?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, I was looking at the Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB part of the description; if the user has the Radeon Pro 5500M enabled, then that's less likely to be the problem, although it is 3.5 years old and probably a lot slower than the current crop of GPUs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe recommends disabling the use of the Intel GPU:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html#solution-4 

https://support.apple.com/en-in/102265

If that doesn't help:

LR is very sensitive to bugs in graphics drivers (of which there are many). Unfortunately, on Mac you have to wait for AMD to update the driver they supply to Apple and then for Apple to release a new version of Mac OS. 

The AMD Radeon Pro 5500M is 4.5 years old. There have been many posts here about Mac users with older AMD processors tripping over likely bugs in the graphics drivers, and it appears that AMD and Apple don't make timely fixing of such bugs a priority.  With one thread in particular, it took over five months from the first report of the problem until a new version of Mac OS fixed it (presumably with a new version of the AMD driver).  

Adobe can help by alerting AMD and Apple to such bugs, but unfortunately, Adobe doesn't provide any visibility into their communications with their "partners".

In such situations, the only workaround is disable use of the graphics processor in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning! Thank you all so much for replying.

I've tried disabling the use of Intel GPU and Lightroom is running much smoother than before with no black screen popping up so far. Massive help. If it does happen again, I'll resort to disabling the graphics processor and working with that.

The information about AMD and Apple not making timely fixing of such bugs (with example of another thread) is definitely very helpful to know of the nature between apple and AMD GPU driver updates.

Have a great day ahead 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, glad you got it resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a bug, its a result of how Adobe handles GPUs. Disabling the integrated card is the answer. I have a 2019 16" MBP with the 4GB Radeon and it works great. Denoise is about 30 seconds and I rarely get much lag even with Bridge which can be a dog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spent an hour with Adobe and then with Apple. It would be great if Adobe had access to this thread when you call tech support to provide a quick answer vs a very thoroug but slow troubleshooteing.

It appears there is an incompatiblity with ONLY Lightroom classic AND THE AMD RADEON PRO CHIP. 

Most up to date PHOTOSHOP including the current Beta version both run fine with the GPU turned on. It is UNIQUE to Lightroom, which makes this in my opinion an Adobe issue, and yes it is since updating to Sonoma 14, but why one program is compatible and not the next???? Larry

I have the exact same system: Macbook Pro 16-inch, 2019. 2.4GHz 8-Core Intel Core i-9 processor. AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB. 32GB RAM 2667MHz DDR4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"why one program is compatible and not the next?"

LR and PS access the GPU differently with different code. LR can be tripping over bugs in the Radeon graphics driver that PS isn't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2024 Aug 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After excalations to sr support, here is the email from Adobe:

Your Adobe Case ADB-35649903-H1H2 = GPU incompatibility, Denoise not working without GPU on i9 8 core 2.4ghz MacbookPro 16 inch 2019 (64 gig of RAM)
Dear Larry,
Greetings from Adobe !!
This email is regarding the issue that you were facing with the Adobe Applications.
We apologize for the delay in reaching you but the issue that you were facing with the Adobe Application has been recognized as a BUG and the same will be fixed with the coming updates.
As per our conversation, we would not be able to conclude that it would not work on your machine so we would request you to please allow us some time so that we can resolve the BUG and get the issue that you are facing fixed.
Thanks for working with us,
Adobe Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2024 Aug 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple introduced or found a bug in Sonoma 14.4 with the AMD Radeon Pro driver. I'm unaware of it being fixed even in 14.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2024 Aug 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DrugDoc - I have the exact same Macbook Pro specs as you, and I encountered the same issue.  I upgraded my MacOS to Sonoma 14.6, and the problem resolved itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bduster,

The 14.6 Mac OS update with the AMD Radeo Pro driver did not help to render display images without the reported pixelation and bands of horizontal lines - see below.

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 11.59.43.jpg

Also, the Denoise function, a key feature I need to use, is still not functioning with the upgrade. With the AMD 'on auto' I get the below photo with 'blocks' covering parts of the photo (it does denoise the rest!)??DSC03541-Enhanced-NR.jpg

With AMD off, I get an error as shown below and green around the lower film strip. 

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 11.47.55.jpg

Thank,

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With AMD off, I get an error as shown below and green around the lower film strip. 

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 11.47.55.jpg

Thank,

Larry

By @DrugDoc

I am noticing in the Histogram Panel, that a Smart Preview is in use. If you remove that Smart Preview (In the Histogram Panel, click on Original + Smart Previews, a dialog will come up) Does the preview improve?

Also/Or, for that matter, if you "zoom" in, 1:1 or tighter, does the overall image change (as in not so fouled up) as the Smart Preview would not be displayed in that situation.

Wondering if your Smart Preview(s) is/are corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for catching that detail. Unfortunately, that is not the issue...below is the same photo with and without the graphics card, using just the original picture. I built the previews recently to see if it would speed up editiing after the AMD stopped working.  

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 13.24.51.jpgScreenshot 2024-08-05 at 13.26.07.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines