• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to find the JPG's after importing both RAW and JPG files

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometines I photograph in RAW and JPG. This is for instance if I might need to send a photo quickly during the shoot. When I import the imahges of the day LR imports both the JPG and the RAW files. In order to save HD space I would like to delete the Jpg's. But I can't see them...

I have just unchecked the option 'Treat JPG files next to RAW files as separate photo's' in LR's preferences, but the JPG's don't show up.

I could of course delete them in Finder, but I am afraid this might mess up the Catalog?

System: OSX 12.6 on a Mac Studio Ultra. LR version 12.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tick box option "treat Jpeg files ..." only works for new imports. Already imported images will not be affected and will stay as one. You can indeed delete the jpeg files in finder if you want. Do note that you will get a little error box on the raw file in Lightroom Classic when you do this. The raw files will work just fine if you ignore the little error message on the images though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RogierBos wrote:

I have just unchecked the option 'Treat JPG files next to RAW files as separate photo's' in LR's preferences, but the JPG's don't show up.

Did you just checked this option, or unchecked it? If you check that option, then Lightroom will import and show jpegs as separate files. That means you can also delete them. If you uncheck that option then Lightroom will not really import the jpegs, but keep them as 'sidecar' files with the raw files. That means you will not see them in the catalog, and you cannot delete them from within the catalog. Deleting them in the Finder is no problem. You catalog will not get messed up by that. Like @Jao vdL said, the preference setting only applies to new imports.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I just unchecked the box. This is about files already imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@RogierBos wrote:

Thank you. I just unchecked the box. This is about files already imported.

If you just unchecked that option, meaning it was checked before, then the jpegs that were already imported should be in your catalog as separate files. No reason why you would not be able to find them. Go to 'All Photographs' and make sure you do not have an active filter that filters out non-raw files. Then filter on jpeg files to easily select them and delete them.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines