Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with RAW (Sony A7IV) images being imported purple into LR

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LR Community,

Has anyone else experienced this issue with RAW images being imported as purple? I'm running LR Classic 11.5 (due to having an older Mac which won't suppor the most recent update) and up until about a week ago, have never had this issue.

I can import the same images from the same SD card into LR on my Windows PC running Windows 10 and they import fine with no issue, so it can't be an SD card or camera issue.

Interestingly, when I shoot capture RAW and JPEG simultaneously. The JPEG's will import fine without the purple issue - only the RAW images seem to be corrupted or there is a bug of some sort. I can also confirm that my Camera RAW is up to date (v 15.1).

Any ideas...?

Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 3.21.08 pm.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of two possibilities:

1. Try turning off the GPU in Lightroom Classic, see if that fixes the problem. (Preferences->Performance->Use Graphics Processor set to OFF)
  2. The file is actually corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - have just posted a reply further down in the thread. Turning off the GPU hasnt made a difference unfortunately.

File can't be corrupted as it imports without issue into my Windows PC into LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the one.ARW, and it opens fine, no issues in Adobe Camera Raw.

Ditto for Lightroom Classic:

LR.jpg

So disabling GPU didn't work, next up, try using a different display profile and check if you see the preview somewhat like the above. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite sure how to change the display profile, but the other test I just completed was to see how the image looked if I opened the RAW file directly from Photoshop (via Camera Raw) as opposed to Lightroom. Pleasingly the image opens up fine via Photoshop directly, so surely it just has to be an issue with Lightroom somewhere.

Do you think if I completely uninstalled Lightroom and re-installed it would make a difference as I can't see what else I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .arw opens in my LR 12.0.1 / Mac OS 12.6.1.

Here's how to temporarily change your display profile to see if it's the proximate cause of the problem:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-...

Note that a profile can cause problems for LR but not other apps (e.g. PS).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I see the problem with that photo in LR 11.5 / Mac OS 12.6.1 with the GPU turned off:

johnrellis_0-1671405714636.png

For completeness, complete the test with the sRGB display profile. But this suggests a problem with LR 11.5 that was fixed in LR 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help...

So after quite a bit more testing (and changing the display profile as suggested), it would appear that this weird purple streaked issue is only happening with one of the RAW formats that the camera outputs which is the Lossless Compressed (Medium size). When I import the other formats such as RAW Uncompressed, Lossless Compressed (Large) and Compressed, the images all seem to preview and import normally into Lightroom.

It should be noted that I used that same format on two different Sony cameras and the same issue was apparent - so again I'm assuming this is a LR issue and not a camera issue, but who knows.

Unfortunately I'm locked for the time being on running an outdated version of LR (14) due to not being able to update my Mac to the latest OS as it's a late 2013 model and won't support Big Sur (and that is a requirement to run LR 15...how frustrating.

Thanks everyone for your help thus far.

Here's a pic showing the different images now imported and just the one appearing as purple & streaked which is the RAW Lossless Compressed (Medium). Interestingly, LR wouldnt even provide a preview or allow me to import the RAW Lossless Compressed (Small) either...

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 3.49.39 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a previous thread about the same issue with LR 11.5 and Sony Lossless Compressed:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/sony-lossless-compressed-m-amp-s/m-p/13...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that...that makes me feel much better now, knowing that its not something I'm doing wrong, or that I have a weird bug affecting LR or my Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all the formats are supported as outlined on the support page. Apparently the raw you uploaded for us to test is of course a supported version. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I support DJ's answer of GPU.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The file is actually corrupted."

The file on the SD card probably isn't corrupted, since you said you can import it into LR on a Windows computer.  So it's possible that the Mac's card reader or other hardware on the path from the card to the disk is broken.  If turning off the GPU doesn't help, then the quickest way to check this is to upload the raw file from the Mac to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar.  If it looks bad on our systems, then the file is getting corrupted on the way from the card to your Mac's disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. I have done what you and others have suggested and turned off the GPU within LR, re-started the system and then took another image with the camera (RAW). Imported that image and the problem still persists.

Are you offering to do an upload at your end to see if you get the same results (as it sounded like that when you suggested to upload the file to Dropbox)? As such I have uploaded today's RAW file to Dropbox which you can access from this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rte8y9bvl3caqj/DSC01181.ARW?dl=0

Just again to clarify, I can import these RAW files without any issues into my Windows 10 PC into LR, so the file on the SD card can't be corrupted, it surely must be something to do either with LR itself or my MAC...was hoping it was LR as opposed to hardware!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I support DJ's answer of GPU.... 

By @Geoff the kiwi

I'd move more toward image corruption due to the repeating lines where, if not, then I'd suspect GPU causing a massive color issue.  Or a corrupted display profile (which, as yet, I've never seen on a Mac). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. This looks like the raw files are corrupted. Also the fact that jpegs display fine invalidates the GPU or bad display profile hypothesis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sonyが提供しているツールで正常に表示できるかを確認します。

正常に表示されているなら、データの破損はありません。

Lightroomだけでそのように表示されるなら、Lightroom側のバグです。

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sonyが提供しているツールで正常に表示できるかを確認します。

正常に表示されているなら、データの破損はありません。

Lightroomだけでそのように表示されるなら、Lightroom側のバグです。

By @yamato7

Translation: "Check if it can be displayed normally with the tool provided by Sony. If it appears correctly, there is no data corruption. If it only shows up that way in Lightroom, it's a bug on Lightroom's part."

Not necessarily. Memory can be corrupted, the Sony tool uses memory different than LrC uses memory. It could also be taht the Sony Tool shows the embedded JPG, which can be un-corrupted when the RAW is corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion...I just imported the RAW file I took today into the Sony Image Edge Desktop application and can confirm that it displays 100% correctly as it should - but the same RAW file is purple with vertical lines when imported into LR. So this proves my theory that the file itself cannot be corrupted and perhaps is not an issue with my MAC either, but the issue must lie somewhere within Lightroom.

Or could the issue be with Adobe Camera Raw perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this proves my theory that the file itself cannot be corrupted and perhaps is not an issue with my MAC either, but the issue must lie somewhere within Lightroom.

But it proves nothing of the sort. I just explained how LrC might use memory differently than other programs, and there is a malfunction in memory chips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, had the same "purple" expirience with my a6600 and Corel Aftershot Pro.

Purple images plus very high noise level. Turned out my ISO settings somewhow changed and were at max - over 102K.

Playing now with different settings to verify it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines