• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lighroom 6.14 and Catalina--a Suggestion and Plea

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be many very frustrated photographers like me who lament Apple’s move to Catalina and the consequent banishing of all 32 bit apps. 

The irony for me is that my most prized application, Lightroom 6.14, is already a 64 bit app.  However, because Lr 6.14 is apparently inseparably connected with a 32 bit installer and uninstaller, it cannot be used in OS 10.15 without dire consequences. 

If Vue Scan can reverse engineer its 32 bit software to a new 64 bit version, enabling me to use my Minolta slide scanner with future Mac OSs, I wonder why Adobe cannot do the same thing for Lr 6.14 users like me (and probably many others) who do not want to commit to a subscription, with the wholly unacceptable consequence of losing the develop module if I later decide to drop the monthly payments of an upgrade.  

I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee to Adobe if that is what it would take to “upgrade” Lr 6.14 to make it compatible with Catalina and other future Mac operating systems.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee to Adobe if that is what it would take to “upgrade” Lr 6.14 to make it compatible with Catalina and other future Mac operating systems.

I suspect you're well aware that that won't happen. Adobe stopped all work on Lightroom 6 in Dec 2017.

Your only options are:

1. to stay with LR 6.14 and Mojave
  2. Catalina and subscribe to Lightroom Classic
  3. Or dual boot Mojave (for LR6) and Catalina (for everything else)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am disappointed but not surprized by Adobe's reply.  Adobe in the past few years has acted like any monopoly-- the public be damned.  I have beeen a custopmer of Adobe using both PS and LR since PS 2--loyal customers--forget them too.  I have been testing ON1 and Luminar3 and have found, for photograph editing, they are nearly as good as LR 6 and PS 6.   When Catalina comes on and I have to use it, It's good bye, Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Catalina comes on? It has been out for over a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should know that John is not an Adobe employee, just another Lightroom user that helps out people on the forum. This is a user to user forum with very few actual Adobe people (they will have a little adobe icon next to their name). If you want to give feedback to Adobe proper you need to go to https://feedback.photoshop.com . You will find hundereds of people there with teh same complaint. Adding your voice is really the only way to get resolution.

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised that if you simply install catalina over an existing Mojave installation with a working Lightroom install, Lightroom 6.14 will simply run as it is a 64 bit app. As long as you don't need to install. A quick search shows that with the exception of the slideshow module (which is not very useful anyway) everything works: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lr-6-14-desktop-runs-on-mac-os-x-catalina-10-15-fou...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your suggestion to post in the Photoshop forum.  Perhaps this will initiate some helpful feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Adobe does offer an updated version for a Fee. It is LR Classic 9 for $9.99 a month and you get the newest version of Photoshop, Bridge and ACR for free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines