• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 Crashes On Startup (Windows 10)

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a newer Windows 10 machine and Lightroom 6.14 starting crashing on startup for me today. It will last 5 to 8 seconds before it goes down, no error message, the program just closes.

It has been about a week since I last used Lightroom on this computer (AMD Ryzen 7 processor, Nvidia 2080 graphics card). We have a second computer we upgraded hardware on three days ago, and I had to contact support to re-authorize that machine (not sure if it's relevant, but timing of the issue raises suspicion). This morning I launched Lightroom on the current machine without issue and I tried to import about 400 photos, and that's when Lightroom closed on me for the first time.Every time I relaunch since it shuts down within 5-8 seconds.

I've tried following recommendations on community - disabling the graphics driver, uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times, renamed the SLCache  folder, and pretty much everything else I could find.The only thing I haven't been able to do is launch the program and go to edit > preferences > performance and uncheck the box about using the graphics card because it crashes before I can hit Okay.

I has Adobe Support helping and connected to my computer for nearly an hour before they said all that was left was to try this forum. Anything insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

There are increasing reports of "Lightroom 6 one day refused to start".

If you are not using Version 6.14, then it seems a Windows update is now preventing v6.0 from starting.

Go here to get v6.14 while it is available: Lightroom 6 End of Support 

Also you will need both serial numbers (v3 + v6) to install.

You may encounter an 'Activation limit reached' error message that can only be fixed by-

Lightroom 6 - serial number maximum allowed co...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is a desktop computer, check for dust, inside, and on filters/screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the very same problem yesterday. Actually it turned out that there seems to be an issue with a number of certain photos that were shown with an iPhone 6. After identifying and removing these photos, I started back with an backup catalogue and could continue working with LR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you got a solution to your Lightroom start-up problem?

I am experiencing a similar case, Lightroom 6 one day refused to start, - it shuts down before the initiating screen had completed, with no message.  Have tried re-install, nothing changed.  

This happened ca 4-5 weeks  after I scrapped my old computer, acquired a new and installed Lightroom 6. The new computer is running  same OS as on the old computer: Windows 10.

Have look-up product page on my  Adobe  account: LR 3 and LR6 are registered there.

Thanks in advance for any advices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are increasing reports of "Lightroom 6 one day refused to start".

If you are not using Version 6.14, then it seems a Windows update is now preventing v6.0 from starting.

Go here to get v6.14 while it is available: Lightroom 6 End of Support 

Also you will need both serial numbers (v3 + v6) to install.

You may encounter an 'Activation limit reached' error message that can only be fixed by-

Lightroom 6 - serial number maximum allowed co...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful, v6.14 did the trick, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact SAME issue right now, on Windows 11 and lightroom 7.1.6 or something like that...anyway I am getting very frustrated with this. Even the tech support can't figure it out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lauren34424667vquh   I doubt it is the "same issue" as this post started in 2020 (3 years ago)

There is no version 7.1.6

There is a version 7.1.2  (also known as the Cloud version) which requires a subscription to an Adobe Plan.

And there once was the old obsolete v6.14 for which there is no Adobe support. Even any possiblity of a download ceases at end of December.

Lightroom 6 End of Support

Community volunteers in this forum would require much more detailed information of your system and version number to give any advice.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's it. I apologize I didn't have it in front of me when I found the forum, but I have a cloud subscription. Yes it's paid. But lightroom just keeps crashing

Sent from my MetroPCS 5G Android device
Get Outlook for Android<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's it. I apologize I didn't have it in front of me when I found the forum, but I have a cloud subscription. Yes it's paid. But lightroom just keeps crashingSent from my MetroPCS 5G Android deviceGet Outlook for Android<>
By @Lauren34424667vquh

Please accomplish one of the following

• In Lightroom, click on Help, click on About Lightroom...Note the program name and version
  • In Lightroom, click on Help, click on System Information, note the first two lines. Note the program name and version

Please post the program name and version in a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Lauren34424667vquh 

If you have a subscription and windows 11 why are you not running Lightroom Classic 13?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines