• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC grainy photos when developing

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've just decided to upgrade to lightroom Classic. Probably should have waited. All of my photos now have an unnatural (non added effect or from high ISO) amount of grain or banding in them as what it used to look like in the old Lightroom CC when the photo was loading. Now what happens is I'll switch to a photo and it'll be fine for about 2 seconds then the banding/noise appears. Fortunately is doesn't follow along when exporting the file. Here's a screen shot of what I'm seeing. The top part is what is being rendered in Lightroom Classic and the bottom half is the same section of the photo zoomed in slightly more with no banding/noise. This needs to be fixed asap. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 10.46.50 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your sharpening settings on this image? This is probably due to excessive sharpening or noise reduction. The Develop module cannot accurately display these effects at anything but 1:1 and higher zooms. At lower zoom settings it tries to simulate the sharpening effect and what the image will look like after appropriate output sharpening but this is not accurate when the original is noisy and you have very large amounts of sharpening applied in the detail section. Also, preview is really bad at showing images that are larger than the screen. It softens the image considerably if it downscales them so you can't trust what preview shows you either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not my sharpening as it's exactly the same settings as I was using before I upgraded to Lightroom Classic CC. The old Lightroom CC had no issues whatsoever with rendering everything correctly. The screenshot above is being shown in Lightroom at 25% and shot at ISO400.

Once more, as soon as I move to a new photo, it renders the photo perfectly then gets the noise/banding about 2 seconds later and it stays there. When I was using the old Lightroom CC, I would see the same noise/banding as soon as I moved to a new photo but it would go away after about 2 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also remains whether or not I turn the sharpening on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not seeing this happen. Can you show a screenshot of your sharpening settings? The change after a second or so is normal. It waits for that long to apply the output sharpening preview. Lightroom 2015 did the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's really no need to screen shot the sharpening settings as this noise/banding remains whether or not I toggle the "Detail" section of Lightroom on or off. I'm fine with the second of delay.... Just not with it starting off better and then getting worse. I'm fully aware that over sharpening of images will add undue noise and one other thing to ensure to you that it's not the sharpening is the image that I've posted above is on a section where I've used the masking tool to remove the sharpening from that area since there's no need for that part of the image to be sharpened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. The photo looks fine for 2 seconds and then tons of noise is added. Doesn't matter if details are off or if sharping is set to zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out what is causing this issue. It's the graphics processor. When I have the Use Graphics Processor checked I have this issue (It's always been checked in the past) when I uncheck it, Lightroom renders the photo as it should, the noise/banding disappears. As soon as I check it again it reappears. Seems to be a bug that needs to be worked out.

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 12.56.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 12.58.38 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that sounds like a bug. One more! Lots of people have strange rendering issues with banding and plugged up shadows suddenly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for discovering this bug. I just converted to LR Classic form the last version of CC AND added a new graphics card. My Nikon D800 has always performed pretty well at high ISO and suddenly all my photos were displaying unacceptable noise. It was driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved it! This was making me go crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only help I've been able to find concerning this issue and it worked! Thanks a bunch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might make sense to report the bug here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom​ That forum has many Adobe employees on it that actually fix bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely going to report it! Thanks for the link to do so!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem solved turning off the graphic processor !! thanks a lot. I was desperate!!!

AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series latest driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  Turning off Preferences, Performance, Use Graphics Processor resolves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, again turning off using graphics processor resolves. Apple iMac Late 2012 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having same issue on MBP 2016 with Intel Iris 550

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you dmshort for figuring this out. This has been a major issue with processing photos for the past few days that never occurred in the old LR CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been reported and is marked 'In Progress' at the below report. It appears to be due to DirectX GPU support added in LR Classic that isn't rendering properly on some systems.

Lightroom Classic: Noise reduction effect not displayed in Develop mode | Photoshop Family Customer ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m going to try this. My last three weddings are looking noisy even at 400 iso!  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for identifying this issue. This has been making me nuts. I never thought that would be the issue. I just thought I was doing something wrong on capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone! I was having this same issue. My photos looked wonderful in Lightroom and Photoshop but once saved to my desktop, Windows Viewer would display them are extremely grainy. Turns out (because I married I genius... An IT guy) we both did some research and it's because the file was too big and the computer couldn't compress it correctly, thus making it very grainy. Once I saved my photos as a smaller file, they looked perfect. It had nothing to do with my ISO settings, nothing to do with improper lighting, it was all about the file size. Bigger isn't always better.    Hope this helps everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh thank you so much, I've been trying to work out what I've been doing wrong as my ISO was only on 200 and on light room was perfect then looked TERRIBLE once saved. You are a life saver!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines