Lightroom Classic crashes each time I launch on Mac OS 13.3.1

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple M1 Pro

16GB Memory

Ventura 13.3.1

Each time I launch Lightroom Classic 12.3 it crashes immediately.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled.  No difference.  I have reset the preferences.  No difference.  I have logged out of Creative Cloud and logged back in - checked apps up to date.  No difference.  I have uninstalled and reset laptop then reinstalled.  No difference.

I have exhausted every idea I have to fix this problem.  Please help

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan, I checked the permissions and they were already set as read & write for me.  Unfortunately that is not the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try logging into another Mac user account (you should make a new one); still crashing? 
Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting*), still crashing? 
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still crashing? 
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html
From Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

* How to start your M1/M2 Mac in Safe Mode
On your Mac, choose Apple menu () > Shut Down.
After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds.
Press and hold the power button until the startup disks and Options appear.
Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.

Try fixing permissions by running Disk Utility (Disk First Aid) or, again, using Onyx.

Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-unexpected-behavior-user-account.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @TheDigitalDog , when I log on as a different user it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @TheDigitalDog , when I log on as a different user it works

By @glenncarter60

So here's the tricky part. Since it doesn't crash as a new user, a conflict with something in the original (Admin?) user is making it crash. The hard part is figuring out what that is. The first task is to disable all auto log-in items in Users and Groups>Login Items in your System preferences (System Settings in Ventura). You can make a screen capture or jot down what each item is, disable, restart, and try again. If it doesn't crash, you can add one or more items, restart and try again. At some point, you may find which item is at issue. It isn't easy, but that's really the fix unless you do a clean install of the OS, which might be more work. 
The bottom line is that something in your user account is conflicting with the Adobe software. Have to find out what that item is. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have deleted the lock file after a crash and before a start attempt, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GoldingD where do I find the lock file, which file?  Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines