• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Crashes

Participant ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I upgraded my MAC to Ventura (a big mistake) now my Lightroom Classic 12.3 carshes working (crashing on the splash screen) with a crash report.  The old version 12.2 is working fine. I sat with Adobe support for hours yesterday and they even got remote access to my Macbook where  they tried a lot of things but had no success. 

Any clues? My computer is a 14" Macbook Pro with an M1 Max chip. 32 GB ram.

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your Lightroom preferences:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html
Also see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/important-steps-for-manually-resetting-...

Quit Lightroom Classic.
macOS: Press and hold the Shift + Option keys.
Windows: Press and hold the Shift + Alt keys.
While holding down the keys, launch Lightroom Classic.
When asked, select "Yes". 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Digital Dog

I will 'try' to follow your advice, but I have few concerns.

1. When you said try to reset your preferences both articles failed to mention why is it necessary.

2. Do I have to do it every time I lounch Lightroom?

3. Why the new Lightroom Classic version worked under Monterey and failed to work under Ventura.

4. and last how come none of the support agents do not know about all of this, and why Adobe support left my problems 'hanging' with no follow up.

In any case,  thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences get corrupted and can cause a crash.

In System Preferences (System Settings in Ventura), >Security & Privacy, >Full Disk Access, do you see Lightroom listed? If not, do add it and try again.

See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Digital dog the Lightroom Classic is listed. Remember that the previous  version (12.1) works fine.

Also the new version 12.3 works fine under Monterey. There must be a connection to these 2 variables.

I am also not a programmer but an artist. 

My thoughts, Since I am not getting any real help from Adobe, I cannot downgrade from Ventura, My New Macbook is new and still under warrenty - I should exchange my Macbook to a new one with Monterey. What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try logging into another Mac user account (you should make a new one); still crashing? 
Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting*), still crashing? 
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still crashing? 
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html
From Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

* How to start your M1/M2 Mac in Safe Mode
On your Mac, choose Apple menu () > Shut Down.
After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds.
Press and hold the power button until the startup disks and Options appear.
Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.

Try fixing permissions by running Disk Utility (Disk First Aid) or, again, using Onyx.

Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-unexpected-behavior-user-account.html

There should be no reason at this point to exchange your Macbook. It is likely some software conflict that the above can help point towards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Digital Dog

Thank you for your help,  but you are not refering to my comments so they do not make sense.

I already told you that the previous version works fine (12.2) and also the new version (12.3) crashes but works fine under Monterey. So I do not understand why your comments do not include these facts. Also why is Adobe Support not helping. I can seat for days trying different tools and options but time is a factor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Digital Dog

Thank you for your help,  but you are not refering to my comments so they do not make sense.

I already told you that the previous version works fine (12.2) and also the new version (12.3) crashes but works fine under Monterey. 

By @Jonathan Beth

So you can stick with the old version or try fixing your issues with the newer one (your call). Newer versions will continue to be provided; you're OK with sticking with 12.2 and disabling auto update? 

Also why is Adobe Support not helping. I can seat for days trying different tools and options but time is a factor.

By @Jonathan Beth

From Adobe (community forums):
"Currently, the community on community.adobe.com is used as a destination for customers to ask questions and engage in peer-to-peer conversations. IOW, this is a user-to-user support forum. The Adobe Support Community is a place to ask questions, find answers, learn from experts, and share your knowledge. Because we are a community used by people of all ages, cultures, and people at work, we carefully moderate its content".

If you have problems or need answers from other users who volunteer their time to help, do so in a discussion topic and message body, whereby you post specifics (what's the problem or issue, or the question) and provide some information about your operating system, version of the software you're asking about and steps to illustrate your problem.

This is what you've done. https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-fine-tune-the-subject-line-of-your-ad...

If you want Adobe to be viewing what you post, there are two ways based on what you are hoping to report:
If you wish to report what you believe is a bug, you do so by following these guidelines:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403

If you wish to provide a feature request, you do so by following these guidelines (then make a request in the product forum):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/123863...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you DigitalDog

So you can stick with the old version or try fixing your issues with the newer one (your call). Newer versions will continue to be provided; you're OK with sticking with 12.2 and disabling auto update? 

again thank you, but I am subscribed to the photo plan, so I need the updates as they Happen.

thanks

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello DigitalDog

It did not work. I got the the below crash report.Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 22.37.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same thing happening on my16 inch MacBook with m1 and Ventura.  I had to go back to the earlier version for it to load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you downgraged back to Monerey?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I escalate a lightroom Classic installation problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not by double posting here with no information. I merged this with your existing discussion.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but what information do you need?

I have a new M1 Macbook 14" 32GB Ram Ventura.

I had OS Monetery where the Lightroom Classic 12.3 worked fine.

Then when I updated the OS to Ventura the Lightroom Classic 12.3  crashed with  acrash report (attached).

The previous version 12.2 works fine on Ventura.

So I do I escalate the problem? I see in the bug report that few people are having similar problem.

thanks

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan

I sent you my status but you have not replied. I sent a bug report to Adobe support but  received no response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan

I sent you my status but you have not replied. I sent a bug report to Adobe support but  received no response. 

By @Jonathan Beth

You have to send the report generated by Adobe (NOT Apple) using the same email address you post here. 
Or you could try the suggestions provided here and let us know if they worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, The DigitalDog

I tried all the suggestion you gave but they did not work.

I am not the only one with this problem.

I need to know that Adobe is working on this problem so I can take another path.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

thanks

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, The DigitalDog

I tried all the suggestion you gave but they did not work.

By @Jonathan Beth

You logged in to a new User account, and it still crashes? 

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

By @Jonathan Beth

A clean install of the OS and then install only Lightroom Classic and tell us if it crashes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see you are already posting on the Primary thread for this issue:
 https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-can-t-launch-the-most-recent-update-of-light... 

Note that it is a bug thread and is marked as "Investigating". Further communication about workarounds and eventual final resolution will be posted on that thread so make sure you are following it. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines