• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom SLOW/Lagging/"Not Responding" on Windows 11 with AMD Ryzen/Radeon + nVidia GTX 1650

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a fairly decent laptop which worked great until the latest release of Lightroom Classic and Updated nVidia Studio Drivers wer released.

System details:

HP Pavilion Gaming 15

AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics

nVidia GTX 1650

32Gb RAM

2TB SSD

Windows 11 

Lightroom became incredibly slow and would lag or become unresponsive for 5-10 seconds at a time in Library and just general browsing.

GPU settings were disabled, set to custom and auto and nothing would work.  Uninstalled and re-installed ALL Adobe products and updated every driver I could find.

Confirmed latest AMD Radeon Drivers

Confirmed latest Studio Drivers for nVidia GTX 1650

Confirmed all Windows Updates

RESOLUTION:

The problem was eventually solved by removing ALL GPU drivers and just doing a Windows Update and allowing Windows to install default Microsoft Drivers for AMD Radeon AND nVidia GTX1650 and all is suddenly running perfectly!  It would seem Lightroom is not compatible with the latest driver set!

I updated to latest drivers from AMD and nVidia and again system slowed down to a crawl when Lightroom was open.  I uninstalled ALL drivers from AMD and nVidia and re-installed default Microsoft drivers via Windows update and all works perfectly!

It would appear that in my case Lightroom does not like the latest drivers either from AMD or nVidia on a Windows 11 machine with my specs.  
Hope this helps someone.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Just an UPDATE as at 18 January 2024:

I resolved my issues with this machine by rebuilding it as a Windows 10 Machine and re-installed all latest drivers in early May 2023 and performance returned to normal with absolutely no issues.  When I got a newer machine 2 weeks ago (AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS, 32Gb mem, 4Tb NVME, RTX 4060 and all is OK on it) I decided to try Windows 11 again.  I did a CLEAN build of Windows 11 and reinstalled everything and from the moment I tried using Lightroom CC is slowed do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @RiaanRoux. Welcome to the Lightroom Classic community. You have already done the heavy lifting in finding the solution.

You can also use the steps mentioned here to make Lightroom only use the High-performance Nvidia GPU: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/set-up-gpu-for-high-performance-photo...

Only follow the steps according to Lightroom Classic; use Lightroom.exe in Lightroom Classic's installation folder. Sniffer would not be needed.

Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was done and had no effect.  The GPU was set to use only nVidia GTX 1650 and still the system was VERY slow.  System on old version 512.78 is stable and runs very fast.  Lightroom does not like the new drivers on Windows 11.

RiaanRoux_2-1680010609800.png

RiaanRoux_0-1680010435172.pngRiaanRoux_1-1680010493780.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One issue that I notice in your screenshot of your NVIDIA GeForce Experience app, GPU driver update.

You selected the default Express Installation as opposed to Custom. Selecting Custom will cause a clean installation. In the clean installation, old junk will be removed. Always recommend Custom.

And see: https://youtu.be/tELpPlkXlVE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check again, I DOWNGRADED to 512.78 to resolve the issue as 531.41 renders Lightroom unstable and super slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that recent drivers from Nvidia had bugs when used with Adobe applications.  Update to the latest Nvidia Studio driver, released last week:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/200284/en-us/

Note the first item in Fixed Bugs:

• Adobe application stability issues using 531.18 [4008751]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I updated to 531.41 Lightroom becomes unstable and super slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating Lightroom Classic to the new 12.3 version I also tried the latest nVidia Studio Drivers version 531.61 (04/13/2023) and again Lightroom slowed down in ALL operations (even just starting up).  While Lightroom is open the entire PC even slows down and experiences serios lags.  

To resolve I downgraded the nVidia drivers to version 516.94 which is most stable and system is normal and fast.  Why would Lightroom Slow doen on the latest GPU drivers for nVidia (everything else runs normal, just Lightroom slows down and drag entire system with it.  Closing Lightroom returns system to normal.  

Lightroom does not like the latest nVidia Drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why would Lightroom Slow doen on the latest GPU drivers for nVidia (everything else runs normal, just Lightroom slows down and drag entire system with it."

LR uses the graphics processor diffently from other apps, and it often trigger bugs in the graphics drivers, of which there are many. For example, version 531.41 explicitly mentions stability issues with Adobe apps, acknowledging that recent driver versions were causing problems for them:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-slow-lagging-quot-not-respond...

Fixed Bugs

• Adobe application stability issues using 531.18 [4008751]
  • Enscape crash at startup with 531.18 [4008190]
  • Beamr - Issue with AV1 encoding in PTD=0 mode [3981172]
  • Derivative TouchDesigner - NVAR: crash when using multi-person tracking [3808674]
  • [Forza Horizon 5] Rainbow like artifacts in game after driver update [3839021]
  • [Portal with RTX] "Background application max frame rate" setting is getting engaged while game is in focus [3897352]
  • Disable Horizon Zero Dawn Resizable Bar profile on Intel platforms [3759681]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not read all the information.  I understand 531.18 had issues but updating to 531.41 and then again later to 531.61 did not solve the problem.  It would appear Adobe is incompatible with the 531.xx driver set in its entirety which is why I downgraded to version 516.94
How is it possible that the problem still exists and that Adobe keeps stating that you should upgrade to the latest GPU driver version when the latest driver version does not fix the problem (for 3 versions in a row)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read all your information.  You asked "Why would Lightroom Slow doen on the latest GPU drivers for nVidia", and I provided some more information in response.   The evidence suggests that the latest releases of the Nvidia drivers have stability issues when used with LR.  While it could be bugs in LR's use of the graphics drivers, it's at least as likely bugs in the drivers, especially considering that Nvidia has acknowledged such bugs in recent releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an UPDATE as at 18 January 2024:

I resolved my issues with this machine by rebuilding it as a Windows 10 Machine and re-installed all latest drivers in early May 2023 and performance returned to normal with absolutely no issues.  When I got a newer machine 2 weeks ago (AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS, 32Gb mem, 4Tb NVME, RTX 4060 and all is OK on it) I decided to try Windows 11 again.  I did a CLEAN build of Windows 11 and reinstalled everything and from the moment I tried using Lightroom CC is slowed down to a CRAWL trying to do anything from even just browsing images to basic editing.  It seems this specific configuration on this oldder laptop is not compatible with Adobe Lightroom CC:  AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32Gb mem, GTX 1650, 2Tb SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an identical issue.  I accidentally clicked the wrong button and upgraded my computer to Windows 11 from Windows 10.  Ever since I did that, Lightroom 7.2 does not work, and Photoshop 25.5.0.375 is also not working.  Wants me to disable GPU or something to that effect, and Lightroom and Photo shop worked perfectly when I had Windows 10.  I have other software that I run on this computer that I fear becoming incompatible if I change any of my drivers.  I'm not sure how to fix this but I either need to fix this or cancel my subscription with Adobe. 

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@slemburg, "Ever since I did that, Lightroom 7.2 does not work"

You've posted in the Lightroom Classic forum. You'll likely get better help posting in the Lightroom forum instead:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based/ct-p/ct-lightroom?page=1&sort=latest_...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was struggling with very laggy LrC for weeks, adjusting sliders take some seconds for it to response and it was extremely frustrating! I tried many suggestions found online but nothing work. Today, I reset Windows 11, removed all the apps including all Adobe apps and reinstalled LrC and PS. And it is working fine now. Hope this will help those looking for solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the helpful information.

Do you have multiple displays, by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have just one display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines