• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LRC 12.0 Crushing Shadow Detail in Develop Module

Participant ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed after the update that files worked in Photoshop and saved back to LR display different amounts of shadow detail between the Library and Develop modules. The Library module is the correct one. When in the Develop module, all sliders are in their default state. When viewing in PS, all is good. When viewing in LR Library module, all is good. When viewing in LR Develop module, shadows are crushed. When exported to jpg, etc, shadows are crushed. 

macOS Monteray 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

I went ahead and uninstalled and then reinstalled version 11.5 and the problem doesn't exist. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Just discovered this post (sorry apparently way behind on reacting to updated threads). I downloaded your image and your screenshots and indeed heavy posterization in your GPU on screenshot. I downloaded the nef and tried it on my Classic install (LR 12.2 on Mac Book Pro M1 Max running ventura 13.2.1) and it does not do the posterization with GPU on and I can very nicely see the stand leg in the lower left with the raw settings as in the screenshot, so it either is something in Monterey that was

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with everything, but Lightroom is made for a wide population who may not be completely familiar with color management and various programs and... I still don't understand why it works OK in Lr 11.5 but not in Lr 12.2.
Apple says everything is fine with the GPU.
Apparently, if Capture One and Lr 11.5 work OK, there is something wrong with Lr 12.2 in connection with such a computer configuration.
Unfortunately, there is no other way to understand it.

By @tomazdeis

This has nothing to do with color management.

Apple is likely wrong, at least again, on my Mac, (MBP Pro 16" 2022 32-Core GPU | 16-Core Neural Engine/64GB), there is no banding or posterization in the image data. And you don't see it either in C1 so yeah, it's a preview issue likely due to GPU.

IF you disable GPU, do you see the posterization? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I turn GPU off I see less postarisation but it is still visible. It is not quite the same as with Lr 11.5, where everything is OK. And Lr works slower.

This bothers me because I have a relatively new high performance MacBook Pro 16 (2019) i9, 64GB ram, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 8GB and is not working OK something I have been using regularly (LR) and paying for for years. :-(.
I can't buy a new computer every year.
I'm sorry, but if everything works OK in Lr 11.5, I don't understand it otherwise than that there is a problem here in Lr 12.2.
And if Capture One works OK... sorry. I don't understand anything anymore.
Unfortunately, the disappointment remain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I turn GPU off I see less postarisation but it is still visible. It is not quite the same as with Lr 11.5, where everything is OK. And Lr works slower.

By @tomazdeis

If turning OFF the GPU works, it's a GPU bug, and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. This is why disabling GPU is an option as more and more functionality moves to the GPU in newer versions of many Adobe products.

I'm sorry, but if everything works OK in Lr 11.5, I don't understand it otherwise than that there is a problem here in Lr 12.2. By @tomazdeis

Due to the facts above, more functionality moves to the GPU in newer versions of many Adobe products and that's the case between these major versions.

For the sake of argument, let's say that this is an LR or PS (or fill in the blank), not a GPU bug. What to do?
File a bug report to Adobe:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403
Provide as much information about your system and hardware.
That wasn't done here.

Disable GPU. Again, very often, this fixes the primary issue. Yes, it slows down some operations, but that's better than a crash or freeze or maybe, in your case, posterization that isn't in your data. In my case, no posterization with your raw (different GPU or OS version, maybe that's it). 

Roll back a version where it is possible this 'bug' isn't an issue (more likely, a feature hasn't been updated to run on a GPU).
If you wish to roll back to an older version, use the Creative Cloud application, click on the three dots (...) and select “Other Versions.”

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the clarifications.

Unfortunately, I can't update the GPU on the MAC because it updates with the system update. And several years old MACs do not have the option to update to Ventura. So the only thing left is to get used to this problem - if by chance Adobe doesn't come up with some other solution.
Because I am convinced that this problem occurs on almost all computers older than M1 processors. I tested on several MAC (several years old with intel processor) of friends and the same problem everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I still think there is a bug in Lr 12.2 and I hope it will be fixed.
Lr 12.2 with GPU off does not match ACR GPU off.
And when I export to PS from Lr 12.2, the photo does not match (100% preview).
But it matches from ACR.
Interesting - I don't think this is a GPU problem. I am still convinced that there is something wrong with Lr 12.2Lr 12.2 thus becomes useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And interestingly, Lr 11.5 with GPU auto matches perfectly with ACR 15.2 with GPU off and matches perfectly when exporting to PS.
Interesting!

I hope the adobe techs are reading and they check and fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And interestingly, Lr 11.5 with GPU auto matches perfectly with ACR 15.2 with GPU off and matches perfectly when exporting to PS.
Interesting!

I hope the adobe techs are reading and they check and fix it!

By @tomazdeis

Your options were outlined.

Nothing else here will change that except (if you're so sure it is specifically a bug), you can file a bug report (which wasn't done here; hence, Adobe isn't paying attention). To do this, see below. 

Photoshop:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403

Lightroom:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12386373

Bug report template:

Issue

• Photoshop version
  • OS

Steps to reproduce:

1. ...
  2. ...
  3. ...

Expected result
Actual result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your advice and kindness.
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually agree that this is a lightroom issue. It's also a long standing issue that pops up regularly. Just trying to pin down under which conditions it shows up so Adobe knows what to test. Apparently the combination of Monterey and LRC 12.x and perhaps certain GPUs/display profiles triggers this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To remind or inform those reading this, @simonsaith has his team looking into this as of Feb, 8th. Hopefully, there will be a solution soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To remind or inform those reading this, @simonsaith has his team looking into this as of Feb, 8th. Hopefully, there will be a solution soon. 

By @DevinDahlgren

The solution is to disable the GPU (or get the GPU bug fixed).

Or downgrade to a version that wasn't updated to use the GPU for this processing. 

Those of us without the GPU bug cannot reproduce this issue on newer versions. 

Banding (posterization) can also appear on screen that isn't in the data but in the display path when users are not working with a fully high bit path (meaning display and video card as well as OS and application).

There's no banding visible even when cranking up exposure to uncover this under-exposed image, and viewed at 1:1 as it must be for an accurate preview:

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 12.48.27 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-02-26 at 12.47.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently running LR 12.2 with GPU disabled until a fix is released or I upgrade to Ventura, which I have hesitated to do as of yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently running LR 12.2 with GPU disabled until a fix is released or I upgrade to Ventura, which I have hesitated to do as of yet. 

By @DevinDahlgren

GPU issues (bugs) on macOS are addressed in OS updates FWIW. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Ventura.
Same problem - Lr 11.5 works OK, Lr 12.2. it doesn't show OK.
I'm sure the problem is in Lr.
MacBook Pro 16 (2019)
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Ventura 13.2.1

Should I replace my computer so that Lr will work OK?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tomazdeis how are you calibrating your display? This posterization can also be caused by the display profile. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Eizo CG277 with self calibration.
Listened with V4 and V2 profiles. Tried everything they advised but no luck.
On the same screen Lr 11.5 works OK but 12.2 does not.
I don't think it's the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's how Lightroom interacts with the specific GPU and the display profile. Sometimes you can fix these issues by controlling your display profile which is why I asked. If this is an issue, turning off GPU acceleration in Lightroom fixes it for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a full, high bit display path (including video card)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sory, where can I control this? 

I have:AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a copy of Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, sorry, I don't understand the question.
What do you mean by copy of Photoshop?
I'm really sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop performance preference will indicate if your system is “30-bit” or IOW, a full hight bit display path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I checked. I have 30 bit marked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download this document, unzip it. Import into Lightroom Classic and view at 1:1 in Develop module. Do you see banding? 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s14f4w7dq85r7oo/10-bit-test-ramp.zip?dl=0

Same question in Photoshop (100% zoom)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you
In Lightroom, I don't see banding in the develop module, I see banding in the library module.
I don't see banding in PS and no banding in filter camera raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines