• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking - Sky, subject etc not functioning

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently been getting a problem with masking. Auto selection of the sky, subject etc has ceased to work. This shows what I get:

No Sky.jpg

Or I get some random areas of the photo selected.

OS is W10. Happens in Lightroom 12 and happened in previous version.

I suspect the problem relates to a recently fitted Radeon RX6600 graphics card, but am not 100% sure when I first saw the problem.

What are my first steps to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Have fixed this one, put a different graphics card in and it works once more. Moral of the story is use Nvidia, not Radeon!Sky-correct.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Odd for that image that Sky failed. For my curiosity I copied your posted JPEG, brought into my test catalog, and attempted the mask. It worked:

6.png

so I doubt if it is the image

2. Continuing my curiosity, I brought up one of my own test images, one with no sky, and attempted:

7.png

Note that right side panel looks the same as yours. So not a user issue (I think not)

Inquiry 1:

Does this happen for all images with a sky?

Inquiry 2:

In Lrc, click on Help, then System Info, What is reported for the GPU?

example:

Graphics Processor Info: 
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (31.0.15.1748)
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Auto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Yes, seems to be the same for any and all images. It's not just sky, any auto selected mask doesn't work. I can only mask manually.

Will check the GPU when I am next back by my PC (next week now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU details, which seem correct are:

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: AMD Radeon RX 6600 (31.0.12026.3)
Init State: GPU for Display supported by default
User Preference: Auto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html#troubleshooting

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, sadly made no difference. Maybe I should uninstall LRC then reinstall it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried an uninstall and reinstall. Still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have fixed this one, put a different graphics card in and it works once more. Moral of the story is use Nvidia, not Radeon!Sky-correct.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found this thread because I had exactly the same problem, but resolved it without buying a new graphics card!  My system is Win11 x64 22H2, graphics card is Asus RX6600, Lightroom 12.0.1.  With AMD 22.8.1 drivers, I had occasional brief screen blackouts but the Windows 22H2 update apparently over-wrote those drivers and also fixed the blackout problem.  Unfortunately, it also introduced the mask problem.
I've now downloaded and installed AMD 22.10.3 drivers directly from AMD (noting that one of the fixes was my blackout problem) and subject, sky and background masking now works correctly.  I've yet to see if the occasional blackout problem is fixed, but that's not for this thread!

Cheers,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think I have been having a similar problem.  Was able to use the Select background/subject a few days ago, then it started 'whiting out' the develop screen when I was trying to use it.  Now it is 'whiting out' just trying to use any masking tool.  Just updating my AMD software/drivers etc having read your post.  I'm running Windows 10 x64 with Radeon R5 Series Graphics Card - old I guess, but never a problem until LrC v12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post solution inquiry.

The AMD GPU that you were using. What was the manufacturer/seller? Directly from AMD, or perhaps from say Gigabyte, etc?

And did you get the driver from AMD, or say Gigabyte or whatever?

I ask this because of:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/ai-masking-not-working-in-lightroom-v12...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, thanks.

The card was a "PowerColor Radeon RX 6600 Fighter 8GB GDDR6"

I believe the driver was straight from AMD. 

It has now gone back to the supplier as unfit for purpose - it also had problems with booting up correctly/not coming out of powersave. Not very impressed by it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've a RX6750XT andt he IA masking was not working. I've desintalled the pilot and the adrenalin software and reinstalled an update pilot without adrenalin and it works fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines