• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Colored "pixel" artifacts/subdued blacks in shadow areas (older Macs) (also visible on CR)

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated LrC to 12.4 yesyerday. Since then a number of pixels in multiple colors appear appear quite often on the image, mostly in the areas of blacks/darks and when using Tone Curve commands. It's similar to the red/blue pixels which denoted clipping in the areas of blacks/whites, but they appear in very many different other colors. Sometimes they disappear, or decrease, after actioning the commands again, sometimes they do not. Is anybody else facing the same problem which I encounter now for the vey first time after many years of use of LrC? Thank you in advance for your advise.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Summary:

We can still not replicate this failure on test or production machines at Adobe. This appears to occur on Lightroom 12.4/Camera Raw 15.4 and later on very old Macs (8 Years and older) and is likely due to out-of-date video drivers on no longer-supported or updated GPUs.

The issue manifests as visual color artifacts in the Develop view only but doesn't always appear on exported images. It can also manifest as less-than-black deep shadow areas.

• Some customers report that disabling GPU rest

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 386 Replies 386
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's solved it, thank you for your help!

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Notabeagle, to help others here, which workaround helped you?  (Not all workarounds work for all people.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option:

1. Update to LR 13.1 and set Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off. Most people with this issue report that works for them. (It won't work on 13.0 through 13.0.1).

so far seems to be working for me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read most of the threads on this topic, and I'd like to report my problem also.

- I've been using LRC v12 and MacOS 12.6.3 for a while - everything was fine;

- I've decided to try LRC v13 with MacOS 12.6.3 and had all those issues mentioned;

- Downgraded to LRC v12 back again, and problems were solved;

- I've updated the system to MacOS 12.7.3 and now my LRC v12 is also having the same issues on the low light areas.

It corrects if I turn off the Graphic card on Performance menu. But then I loose zoom shortcuts which I'm addicted (shift+mouse). I haven't tried the calibration v4 yet. But funny enough sometimes this problem auto-correct itself. I haven't figured out what I've done differently to bypass this issue.

here is my system info:

Lightroom Classic version: 12.5.1 [ 202311071911-3076beb2 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-GB
Operating system: Mac OS 12
Version: 12.7.3 [21H1015]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 3.5GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 65,536.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65,536.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 3,152.3 MB (4.8%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 45,064.7 MB
Memory cache size: 38.7MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 15.5 [ 1595 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX
Camera Raw virtual memory: 927MB / 32767MB (2%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1011MB / 65536MB (1%)
Standard Preview Size: 1440 pixels
Displays: 1) 1920x1200

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon HD - FirePro D500
Init State: GPU for Image Processing supported by default with custom export support
User Preference: GPU for Display Enabled

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/sportphotogallery/Pictures/SPG/SPG-v12.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/sportphotogallery/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Flickr
4) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

I just hope Adobe can make a fix for that! I guess many people are having those issues. And I work with a catalog with more than 180.000 images...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!, I have a problem with my display. Gray highlight appears whenever I adjust my shadows and blacks. There's no problem when I export it. I just want my photos appear without the gray highlight in loupe view. The gray highlight disappears when I change my process version to version 1 or 2 in settings menu.

Carlo5E66_0-1707786225655.png

Current version (6)

Carlo5E66_1-1707786452034.png

Version 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possible cause could be a defective monitor profile.

Please take a look here: How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted? | The Lightroom Queen

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.7 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem soved. I just turned of my graphics processor.

Carlo5E66_0-1708503949833.png

Probably a problem with my graphics processor. I'm using Mac Pro (2013), Monterey 12.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Probably a problem with my graphics processor [AMD Radeon HD - FirePro D700]. I'm using Mac Pro (2013), Monterey 12.7"

AMD stopped providing driver bug fixes for that graphics processor a couple years ago. LR is very sensitive to driver bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

woran kann es liegen, dass ich in den dunklen berichen nach einen Weile immer fabrbige Pixel habe. Ich nutze Mac OS 12.7.4 Lightroom Version 7.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"what can it be that I always have fabrige pixels in the dark reports after a while. I'm using Mac OS 12.7.4 Lightroom version 7.2"

See this post for LR Classic workarounds:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-colored-quot-pixel-quot-artifacts-sub...

Similar workarounds for LR 7.2 will probably help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines