• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Colored "pixel" artifacts/subdued blacks in shadow areas (older Macs) (also visible on CR)

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated LrC to 12.4 yesyerday. Since then a number of pixels in multiple colors appear appear quite often on the image, mostly in the areas of blacks/darks and when using Tone Curve commands. It's similar to the red/blue pixels which denoted clipping in the areas of blacks/whites, but they appear in very many different other colors. Sometimes they disappear, or decrease, after actioning the commands again, sometimes they do not. Is anybody else facing the same problem which I encounter now for the vey first time after many years of use of LrC? Thank you in advance for your advise.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Summary:

We can still not replicate this failure on test or production machines at Adobe. This appears to occur on Lightroom 12.4/Camera Raw 15.4 and later on very old Macs (8 Years and older) and is likely due to out-of-date video drivers on no longer-supported or updated GPUs.

The issue manifests as visual color artifacts in the Develop view only but doesn't always appear on exported images. It can also manifest as less-than-black deep shadow areas.

• Some customers report that disabling GPU rest

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 386 Replies 386
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Summary:

We can still not replicate this failure on test or production machines at Adobe. This appears to occur on Lightroom 12.4/Camera Raw 15.4 and later on very old Macs (8 Years and older) and is likely due to out-of-date video drivers on no longer-supported or updated GPUs.

The issue manifests as visual color artifacts in the Develop view only but doesn't always appear on exported images. It can also manifest as less-than-black deep shadow areas.

• Some customers report that disabling GPU restores functionality to normal. 
  • Others have reported that updating to Sonoma has provided relief.
  • Reverting an image to PV4 eliminates the artifacts for some others. 
  • Reverting to LrC 12.3 or CR 15.3 has provided relief for some.

11/30/2023 

• It has been discovered by some customers that this affects Camera Raw rendering as well.  The summary text has been updated to reflect this. The two separate Pinned Posts on this thread have been consolidated.

11/22/2023:
An Update and an Inquiry to afflicted customers:

• First, the missing content that was mysteriously moved to a 2009 Cold Fusion thread should be restored. We apologize for any confusion that was caused. 
  • Second - and perhaps more importantly, we need to ask a question of those who are afflicted with the unusual colored pixels. 

10/27/2023: Update - we've received responses from three persons volunteering to screen share with the Classic team.  At this time, we do not need any additional volunteers. This thread will be updated once the investigation is complete. 

10/17/2023: Update and a request for persons to demonstrate the issue

As we cannot replicate this failure on test or production machines at Adobe, we are looking for a few people to demo the issue for us. 

Requirements: 
The Classic team is requesting the aid of a few persons who can demonstrate this issue in a live screen share. In order to be considered, you need to be able to: 

1.  Recreate the issue at will with GPU in the ON setting
  2.  Connect with the Classic team via a screen share  (MS Teams or similar). Note: the team is IST, and the hours may be odd, depending upon your location.
  3.  Review MacOS System settings live with the team
  4.  Demonstrate the odd pixels in Lightroom Classic 13.0.1.

If you are able to meet these requirements, direct message me with your full name and the email where you can be contacted.  We should only need a few people to reply to confirm the information the team is requesting. 

Thank you for your patience. 

10/2/23 Update:
Additional posts formerly in this thread are currently MIA. The community forum team is investigating. We do not know if we will be able to restore the missing content.  As of 11/22.2023: The content has been restored.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had this issue on previous exports, however tonight several exports have suffered from this colour artefact... some examples attached

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through this process with tech support yesterday. They watched the issue replicated and rolled me back to version 12. 

I no longer have 13 installed, but can provide the case number if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent.  Thanks for looking at this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

j'ai de gros problemes avce l'expotation de lightroom 13 et 13.01

regardez ce que j'ai avec lightroom

y'a des artecfact dans les noir

merci pour votre retour ou solution  !!!

là je vais

ouvrir les images depyuis lihgtroom vers photoshop

ensuite sauvez dans un autre dossier 

reinstaller lightroom V12

ouvrir l'ancienne bibliotheque 

et importer les fichier tiff exporté depuis photoshop

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have big problems with exporting Lightroom 13 and 13.01
look what i have with lightroom
there are artifacts in the dark

thank you for your feedback or solution!!!

there I go
open images from pyuis lihgtroom to photoshop
then save in another folder
reinstall lightroom V12
open old library
and import the tiff files exported from photoshop

Capture d’écran 2023-10-27 à 17.57.55.png

Capture d’écran 2023-10-27 à 17.57.46.png

Capture d’écran 2023-10-27 à 17.59.57.png

Capture d’écran 2023-10-27 à 17.59.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, 

Al utilizar en la pantalla de calibración la versión 6 (actual) y la 5, lightroom me lava los negros empastados de la foto, en cambio en la versión 4 no. El problema también es que cambio a la versión 4 para no tener este problema y continuamente me cambia a la 6 automáticamente, por lo que tengo que estar todo el tiempo cambiando de versión.

Tengo el lightroom actualizado en la última versión v12.5

Espero que sea posible solucionarlo, a ver si alguien sabe como arreglar esto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you mean Process Version. I see no difference between 4, 5 and 6 on an unedited photo. When I increase to +60 Blacks, I'm not seeing a difference there either.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Library, select the photo and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. Then upload the photo (and its .xmp sidecar, if it's raw) to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar free service and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Podría enviar cualquiera, ya que me pasa con todas las imágenes. Os comparto el .dng

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1foe6gfOXBf1MhBv86gxWNcrEXTKAMKf3/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I don't see that issue in my LR 12.5 / Mac OS 13.5.1 / Macbook Pro M2 Max (see the screenshots of process versions 4 and 5 at the bottom). This suggests the issue is specific to your computer or LR installation.

Try these troubleshooting steps: 

1. See if the color profile assigned to the display is bad by temporarily assigning sRGB:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/photos-appear-black-gray-rectangles.html#Solution2Assoc...

LR Develop uses the display profile differently than LR Library and other apps (such as Camera Raw), and bad profiles sometimes cause such symptoms.

2. Try setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off.

3. Do the LR menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the entire contents here so we can see exactly which versions of hardware and software LR thinks you're running and important LR options that are set.

Here's what that image looks like in my LR with process versions 4 and 6:

4.jpg

6.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Desactivando el procesador gráfico se ha solucionado, muchas gracias!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good. Someone else experienced recently experienced the same symptoms. Could you please do the menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the results here, so we can see precisely which hardware and software LR thinks you're running?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola! Tuve el mismo problema, me sirvió mucho esto que pusiste y sí noté el cambio; pero a la hora de exportar las fotos, me aparecen en mi visor y en mi photoshop otra vez los negros empastados. Tienes idea de cómo puedo solucionar esto? Gracias!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the previous messages were posted, it's come out that versions LR 12.4 and later have an incompatibility with older Macs with graphics processors whose drivers are no longer supported by their manufacturers:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-artifacts-of-odd-colored-pixels-subdu...

Read that pinned reply to see if it applies to you. Many have reported these workarounds helping:

- Revert an image to Process Version 4 after applying edits.

- Rolling back to LR 12.5 and setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off.

- Rolling back to LR 12.3 and leaving the graphics processor enabled.

If you don't think that thread applies to you, please start a new thread, including full-resolution screenshots, the output from the menu command Help > System Info, and a screenshot of Apple icon > About This Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to share a screenshot that shows what you see.

If you stick to the old process versions, you miss out on all the new features and improvements.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disculpad que los archivos pesaban demasiado y llevaba varios dias intentando subirlos pero no me dejaba. Les adjunto una foto en versión 6, otra en versión 5 y otra en versión 4, que es la que se ve correctamente, para que puedan ver el problema.

Captura de Pantalla 2023-08-28 a las 19.22.21.png

Captura de Pantalla 2023-08-28 a las 19.23.00.png

Captura de Pantalla 2023-08-28 a las 19.24.38.png

   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He de añadir también que este problema no lo tengo en Adobe Camera Raw, solamente me pasa en el módulo revelar de Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

glitch.jpg

Has anyone had a similar problem in LR Classic?

As you can see from the above, there seems to be a weird bug/glitch while editing. This is an unedited image (note I have black out the peoples faces for privacy) but apart from this, I have not made any images to the image. The original/raw doesn't look like this and even if I save the image, it doesn't save like this. So I think the issue is with the viewing window in LR. The only way I can get rid of it is if I close LR and re open. But it will come back again after a editing for a while. 

It doesn't necessarily come back on the same image.

Can someone help? Or can Adobe fix? Unsure how to report the issue directly with them.

Thanks in advance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable GPU support or rollback to Lightroom Classic 12.3. For me, disabling the GPU gave me a pop-up message on next app launch nagging me to re-enable GPU, so I rolled back to the older Lr.

I just found some notifications in my spam folder, but the messages are missing here.  If somebody from Adobe needs a sample, please contact me directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using the latest version of lightroom, but I see something I've never saw before while editing.. somehow dark/contrast colours in my photo's automatically turn blue/purple/red/yellow. 

I'ts very hard to edit my photo's right now and I've tried everything to remove this but nothing helps. Does anoyone know what this is??? Please help!

Schermafbeelding 2023-10-07 om 15.00.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the pinned reply at the top of the thread into which your post was merged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pinned post is a bit ridiculous trying to blame old drivers.  These are Macs, we don't worry about drivers.  Furthermore, these are on devices still supported by Apple, running recent versions of macOS such as Big Sur or Ventura.  The breakage happened between versions of Lightroom (12.3 -> 12.4), which points to a bug and missed QA by Adobe.

The workarounds are either: rollback to Lr Classic 12.3 or disable GPU acceleration (but then Lr might nag you to re-enable it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines