• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CR/Lr select subject not working properly

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to a new 14" Macbook Pro from an older 2017 13" Macbook Pro for smoother and faster photo editing. I love the new laptop and it performs great, except for the fact that the select subject feature in ACR is not nearly as accurate as on my previous Macbook. I just did a little test to see what the effect would be in Lightroom and there the select subject is just as accurate as before.

Is there a setting that I can change to increase the accuracy or is this a problem that occurs with the latest version of ACR?

P.S. I prefer editing my images with Adobe Bridge and ACR rather that with Lightroom

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no settings for “accuracy” and it's odd LR is fine, not the same. This is an M1?

Perhaps it's a GPU issue and you can play around with setting it in preferences; worth a try.

If you could export a DNG with a mask in both products and upload via something like Dropbox, we could examine both masks from each product. That be useful.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is an M1 Macbook Pro. I checked the GPU settings and is is already set to support at full acceleration.

I'll upload a .DNG file with examples of the different masks to Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp7yvv1bo4afv4i/ACR%20select%20subject.DNG?dl=0. Just note that the current mask I get from Lr is the same as the mask I got on my Intel Mac in ACR. I clearly marked the masks to indicate where they come from.

I have also re-installed the latest 14.1 version of ACR, but that didnt make a difference

I would really appreciate some help as I have tons of editing to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the DNG with the four masks and yes, there is a huge difference and this is very odd.

On my Intel Mac, I made a mask (Select Subject) and got what visually appears identical to the mask you got on your intel so that's consistant. Why the M1 isn't doing the same is odd and someone on the team needs to look into this.

On the M1, is there any difference if you disable GPU in preferences or alter the settings there?

What if you clean (Purge) the Cache in the same preferences?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported a 'Subject' mask bug elsewhere for LrC, LrD and ACR when using Rosetta emulation mode.  If you're using Camera Raw via Adobe Bridge, then it's running in emulation mode since Bridge is still not yet M1 native. The workaround until  the Bridge team get their 'backsides' into gear is to use ACR from within Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, so when Bridge hosts ACR, unlike say Photoshop, that affects M1 native.

This would be a great test; compare ACR hosted by Bridge and ACR hosted by Photoshop and upload a DNG from both using the same raw. If ACR hosted by Photoshop works, it also explains why Lightroom Classic works properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been there, done it, got the proverbial T-shirt. Basically, if using Rosetta emulation mode it doesn't make any difference as to whether it's Photoshop/Bridge hosted ACR, LrC or LrD, the 'Subject' mask is garbage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you, I was suggesting the OP try it as a fix.

I can't, I'm waiting on an M1 (hopefully iMac Mini) in a few months. But what you say makes perfect sense and it is a good fix for the OP; avoid Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have recently moved to a Mac Studio M1 Max. Mac OS Monterrey 12.4 (latest version) I have also reinstalled the OS in case it was an issue on that side.

The select subject does not work... the process runs but it doesn't select a subject (see screenshot)

Screenshot 2022-05-26 at 09.46.31.png

I have installed Lightroom and the select subject works well in that programme so I assume it is not the computer?! I don't want to move to Lightroom though so that's not a long term option.

System info below:

Lightroom Classic version: 11.3 [ 202204051513-7a25c809 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-GB
Operating system: Mac OS 12
Version: 12.4.0 [21F79]
Application architecture: x64 (emulated)
Logical processor count: 10
Processor speed: 2.4GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 5,486.5 MB (16.7%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 43,487.8 MB
Memory cache size: 318.8MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 14.3 [ 1072 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1651MB / 16383MB (10%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1827MB / 32768MB (5%)
Displays: 1) 3840x2160

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: Apple M1 Max

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/thesassenachs/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/thesassenachs/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd love to help you figure this out.

What is the format of the images you work on? Are they JPEG or RAW? If they are RAW, please share the camera make & build. It would also be helpful to share some sample images.

Do you face this issue with similar images as shared in the screenshot? Have you tried using different photos with prominent subjects or sky?

Lightroom Classic has native support on Apple M1-based machines. It is always a work in progress to improve.

Please test your workflow in the Rosetta 2 emulation mode and let us know the results. Check this to learn more: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

Let us know the results,

We hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

So they are all RAW photos. Sky selection seems to work well athough I don't often use it. I have tried lots of photos with prominent and various subjects. All get similar results to the sample image shown.

Screenshot 2022-05-26 at 13.07.43.png

Screenshot 2022-05-26 at 13.09.14.png

The cameras in question are Sony A7IV, Sony A7III and Sony A7SIII.

Rosetta Emulation is already on.

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select subject doesn't always work as you would expect. Sometimes it "goes crazy" as you see. There is no option right now to refine the results, so you could (yes, I know this is not a very desirable solution) subtract areas by brushing them. Other alternatives are to do the masking in Photoshop, which will probably do a much better job and also has the ability to modify the mask.

I have seen if I take a picture of a large building, and there is a car in the foreground, Select Subject will select the car and not the building.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.

Im not expecting perfection but when I do the same selection on the same images on my MacBook Pro (non silicone) and my old iMac I get the selection as expected.

So it feels there is a disconnect somewhere.

Another issue, and maybe i should raise this elsewhere, is that after the computer has been "sleeping" the colours flicker in the develop module image. This only happens in the develop module image and nowhere else on the screen so it is not a computer issue as such. The colours shift when hovering the mouse any where near the sliders on the right hand side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you could post one of these RAW photos on DropBox or similar, and then provide the link, people with M1 and earlier Macs could verify what you are seeing, then Adobe would likely identify this as a bug and add it to their queue of bugs to fix.

As far as the flickering, I would definitely start a new thread and explain the issue in detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're screenshot of 'System Info' indicates that you're running Lightroom Classic (LrC) 11.3.x using Rosetta Emulation. This is neither necesssary or desirble.  Also note that there is a bug with 'Select Subject' when using emulation mode, which results in very poor subject masks. Best results are obtained when you  run LrC in native Apple silicon mode.

To launch LrC in native Apple silcon mode right mouse click on the application icon, then choose Get Info. Make sure 'Open in Rosetta' is unchecked as shown in the attached screenshot.

open-in-rosetta.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG Thank You So Much 😍❤️ it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked your DNG image and can confirm that the issue you see is the same as I reported previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding Ian's bug number - setting status. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same experience here. Whe ACR module used under non M1 Bridge, masking does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right! I had "open using Rosetta" in the info panel checked. That resulted in LRC selecting everything of other things and never the subject.

I unchecked the box and voila...LRC seems to mask as designed.

Thanks,

Ken W

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installation of LRC 11.4 have been unable to auto mask subjects (mask>subject).

When trying, masking takes place haphazardly throughout image regardless of image type. e.g. JPG, RAW, PNG, etc.

When trying to invert, the entire image is overlayed with the mask.

This is before any adjustments are attempted, e.g. exposure, contrast, etc.

Have contacted Adobe tech support and they have witness the problem (through screen share) but are unable to provide solution...as of yet.

This anomoly also takes place in PS Camera Raw.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled apps several times with no resultant corrections.

Note that the other masking functions (spherical, linear gradient, color range, luminance range and brush (including add/subtract on applied masks) appear to operate normally.

Any ideas out there? Is anyone else experiencing this problem, especially with M1 Max chip set(s)

System specs: Mac Studio M1 Max chipset, LRC 11.4, MacOS 12.4, Camera Raw 14.4.0.1121

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i forgot to mention that Rosetta/Emulation mode is listed as ON

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i forgot to mention that Rosetta/Emulation mode is listed as ON

Hm, perhaps a more knowledgeable member can opine. Did not Adobe update LrC, post M1 release, to make it natively compatible with M1? Is Rosetta still required? Is Rosetta in the way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the exception of Tethering, Lightroom Classic does not require Rosetta. If you don't need Tethering, I would launch LrC as a native M1 App. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines