• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Does the deprecation of Synced Creative Cloud Files on Feb 1, 2024 affect Lightroom Syncs?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will Lightroom Classic files still be synced across devices after 1 February 2024? Thank you.

Jeff

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

No, this has nothing to do with syncing in Lightroom. It concerns something completely different, namely the Dropbox-like folder called 'Creative Cloud Files' that is in your Mac's home folder. Items placed in that folder would sync to the cloud and to the same folder on another computer in your subscription, but this stops soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Files synced via Lightroom are not affected.

The letter you received refers to Creative Cloud Synced Files - not Lightroom Synced Files - they are two different things. 

To see these files you can look at your "Creative Cloud Files" folder on your local drive or go to: https://assets.adobe.com/files

For more information:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/eol-creative-cloud-synced-files.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture d’écran 2023-10-28 à 21.03.50.pngQuand je veux faire un export dans le dossier de la phto d'origine et en "remplacer sans avertissement", ce que je fais depuis la nuit des temps, et bien maintenant, çà me vire les photos d'origine sans rien mettre à la place.... Une idée ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused about the end of Cloud Sync 😕 I use Cloud Sync as a way to get my photos from my phone to my computer and I can't tell if this is just totally broken now?

This is my workflow: Auto import from photos to iphone the LR app > LR auto uploads to the cloud > I use the LR program on my laptop to organize my photos into collections > once it's in a collection it auto syncs with LRC when I open LRC and goes onto my hard drive and has the same collection organization in LRC

I'm going to be really sad if this is just totally broken now bc it's been a great way to manage my phone photos for me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't figure out how to delete this post heh but I think I've determined that what is ending is different than what I've described here 🙂  I think I was having a bug where my syncing had stopped for a while and I got paranoid! I think I got it to start working again properly now though yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,  "Cloud Sync" is not the same as "Lightroom Sync" for your photo library.

Lightroom sync is not being closed down.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/eol-creative-cloud-synced-files.html

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom for mobile. What is the impact of the discontinuation of creative cloud files syncing on using Lightroom Mobile? Will Lightroom on desktop be discontinued since it is cloud-based?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No impact on Lightroom (all versions).

Lightroom is not being discontinued (all versions).

Read the pinned reply from RIkk Flohr.

Creative Cloud File storage is separate and different to the Lightroom 'Sync' ecosystem for the Lightroom Apps.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information. Not knowing the difference, and maybe I still don't for sure. So, work I do on my iPad can still go to Creative Cloud File storage and will be available to desktop Lightroom, but said file will not be synced with the iPad after February 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So, work I do on my iPad can still go to Creative Cloud File storage"

No it doesn't. Work IN LIGHTROOM on your iPad goes to the Lightroom ecosystem storage (NOT CC File storage).

"and will be available to desktop Lightroom"

Yes.  All 'work' in any of the Lightroom 'mobile' apps (ie. on iPhones, iPads, Desktop) is synced to the Lightroom ecosystem storage, and will continue to be available to all Lightroom Apps.

And repeating the post by Theresa J above-

"This will NOT effect the Lightroom cloud. Creative Cloud Files is separate from Lightroom and when it gets discontinued it won't impact your Lightroom."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on smart previews away from my pc. When sync goes away how can someone work on a big project away from home and have it synched back? Do I need to bring a hard drive with my iPad?

If I really have to seperate home work and mobile work, I'm not sure it is worth all the money. Plus I gotta buy drop box to send clients. Any idea welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is not impacted by the depracation of Creative Cloud file sync. Your Lightroom sync workflow should not change at all.

Creative Cloud sync is/was a service kind of like DropBox, where you could store any files to be synced. That is what is being retired. The cloud sync functions of all the apps with cloud documents are not changing, so you can continue using Lightroom just as you have been.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m a hobbyist and my usual workflow is the following: I access photos from a memory card on the iPad using Preview and, when I find one that passes muster, I select “Open in Lightroom,” enabling me to edit the photo on Lightroom for the iPad. I’ll occasionally use Lightroom CC to edit photos in this flow further (eg, healing brush or red eye removal). Will the latest Adobe Cloud change (ie Discontinuation of Creative Cloud Synced files) affect my workflow?

Thanks,

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you’ll be fine, and your workflow will be unchanged. Adobe uses many different kinds of cloud sync to tie together their apps, and what they call “synced files” is a Dropbox-like service that is not used by any Lightroom desktop or mobile apps. (It’s tied to the Creative Cloud Files folder you may see on your computer or devices.)

It is confusing because there is a long list of Creative Cloud sync services, with many names, doing different things, some affecting Lightroom but most of them don’t. Unfortunately, Adobe could do a better job of helping users understand which one is which, and affecting what apps in what ways…there is a lot of confusion over this, and even the article they posted doesn’t make it clear enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the response Conrad, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Adobe have, or does anyone know, a service whereby I can pay to have a professional guide me through the steps required to assure I don't lose all my images at the end of January '24? The more I read and try to understand what to do, the more confused I become.

Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you thinking that you might be losing all your images at the end of January 24th? If you are referring to the Adobe announcement that the Creative Cloud Synced Files service is being discontinued on February 1st, be aware that there is absolutely no impact on Lightroom by that change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this thread which includes a definitive response from Adobe representative @RikkFlohr : https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-does-the-deprecation-of-synced-creati...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a notice from Adobe (see attached image) that they are discontinuing "Creative Cloud Synced Files" and I am wondering if this applies to the files that I have synced to lightroom.adobe.com. 

I have a large number of Lightroom Collections that are synced with Lightroom and my personal website is linked to those collections in lightroom.adobe.com.  I find that this is an easy way to maintain the photo galleries on my personal website.

Is lightroom.adobe.com going away and will I have to find a different way to display my pictures on my website?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"if this applies to the files that I have synced to lightroom.adobe.com."

"Synced" how?  If you mean you manually placed files in the {Creative Cloud Files}FOLDER that appears in the OS File browser, then yes, these files will be affected.

2024-01-08 07_44_52-Documents.jpg

Did you actually read the Rikk Flohr pinned reply at-

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-does-the-deprecation-of-synced-creati...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Did you actually read the Rikk Flohr pinned reply at-"  Please.  There is no need for sarcasm.  I did read it after it was pointed out to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Jeff, I presume you now have an answer to your question. All good.

Re: "Actually"- Sorry it came over that way. Often we see posts with questions that are added to a long thread without the person posting having read all the preceding posts (that often contain correct answers). Hence my question. But this announcement from Adobe has confused many people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the announcement was confusing and I reacted strongly, thinking all my work in syncing collections would be lost.  I posted my question without researching to see if it had already been answered.  My bad.

By the way, I have zero files in the Creative Cloud Files folder.  I am syncing collections in Lightroom and pushing the button to make them public.  That action gives me a URL for each collection which I can link to from my personal website.  It's pretty slick and gives me an easy way to maintain the photo galleries in my website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe need to publish a Clarification statement as to how the changes on Febraury 1st 2024 will impact Lightroom users and their synced photos. There is no mention of Lightroom on this Adobe post: https://helpx.adobe.com/au/creative-cloud/kb/eol-creative-cloud-synced-files.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned this is a different service.

The link you posted is clear about what is being disconinued and states:

"Adobe continues to offer and support cloud storage and syncing across Creative Cloud with Cloud Documents, Creative Cloud Libraries, Lightroom Cloud storage, and Frame.io cloud storage. None of these cloud storage solutions are impacted by this change."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe post is perectly clear to people who already use Adobe's cloud structure and services. As it does not, however, mention Lightroom users (who don't use these services), my online support service for photographers is now being inundated with requests for clarification.
Lightroom and Lightroom CC do not have any folders named 'Cloud' but they do have 'Sync' options and the title of the Adobe post uses the word 'Sync'. It is only reasonable to assume that new Lightroom users will be worried that they will lose photos if the don't download them before 1st February.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines