• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Local Adjustment (Masking) Sliders are affecting entire image

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i can't seem to make the new masking tool to work correct.

When i make an adjusment, by brush, auto select or any other tool the mask shows up in my image, red by default, and when i make a change in the Basic-panel, the adjustments will be applied over the whole image and not just the masked part.
Is this a bug or am i doing something nog correct?
Help please... 🙂

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

when i make a change in the Basic-panel

Wrong panel

watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Fld8eEHsE

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Two possibilities I can think of:

1. You've inadvertently collapsed the local adjustment sliders and are using the Basic panel sliders

or

2. You are scrolling too far and using the Basic panel sliders by mistake

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 7.50.48 AM copy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 146 Replies 146
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you... right there it is now that I know it's there.

Have a great day everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is so ridiculous my lightroom does not look at all like all screenshots shown here, I can do all masks changes except for the brush tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definetely a bug,I've found out that to make it work first you need to do changes and then move mouse on top of the image to see the changes,this only happens with the brush tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the correct panel and having the same problem as OP. Are duplicated and inverted masks linked somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have that triangle. Can you help?

Martin29858570t6ws_0-1687482816225.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand the components of the Masking panel be clicking on the 'Disclosure' triangles-

2023-06-23 16_51_25-Clipboard.jpg

And do the same for any other triangle that might appear-

eg.

2023-06-23 16_53_30-Clipboard.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click (Windows) or Ctrl-Click (Mac) on the word Tone (or any other panel name) and select Expand All.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the one of the most awful UI designs ive ever seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So far as UI, IMO it is worth remembering that one may still want to adjust global parameters while dealing with masks, in opposition / response to each other. So it makes sense for global adjustments to remain visible and usable throughout; it would be limiting and presumptive IMO to (for example) temporarily hide those for as long as the masking tool was active. If you DO want to adjust one of the (globally applying) Basic panel sliders at this or any other moment then you can, and that facility is AFAICT a feature, not a bug.

Next, there have been changes to the UI of the masking panel itself (formerly the  local adjustments panel). It was the case that the visibility of all the adjustment sliders depended on one unexplained and inconspicuous little triangular arrow. And this tripped people up very understandably. The new interface with collapsable sections leaves the presence of local adjustment sliders more evident, and operates in some ways consistently with the main Develop (global-adjustment) panels, in that sections collapse and expand. Visually it's a little different, but if it was visually identical one would not get any cues whether the (say) WB temp slider that one was moving was a global or a local one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , i'm new to lightroom . I've seen a couple of videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzPWzJQsYTI and things seem to be pretty straight forward to begin with , except .... once i apply the mask and start moving parameters (exposure , etc) the whole image gets affected - not just the area highlighted . What's going on  ?  Capture.PNG

In this tutorial, discover how easy it is to make local adjustments to your photographs using Lightroom Classic's new Masking panel and tools including Select Subject, Select Sky, Radial and Linear Gradients, Brush, Color and Luminance Range Masking, and more! Subscribe to Adobe Photoshop ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i solved it .  Don't know how to delete this post ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hernans53704002 

what a shame you didn't share your knowledge with everyone else, you could have told people how you fixed the problem, but you didn't 😞

For anyone reading along, if you move the sliders in the Basic panel, it will affect the entire image. You want to move the sliders in the Masking Panel, which appears when you select a tool (Brush or Sky or any of the others). In the screen capture above these sliders are collapsed, you need to click the triangle to the right of Effect: Custom: to un-collapse these sliders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was so easy to fall into and so very hard to figure out how to fix it.  Without your willingness to share,  I was near pulling out my hair, or what is left of it.  Thank-you Kindly!  Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the screenshot, the author had pressed on that triangle in the making panel, thereby showing the amount slider, in effect collapsing the panel. Then went and moved sliders in the basic panel. Or, he is confusing the overlay with an edit

0A6A6A11-1EFF-430F-A8B8-B38596AF07AB.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  this helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow!!!! thank you this was reqlly hepful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, really helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a problem with the new masking in Lightroom.  I select Masking - Radial Gradient.  I draw an oval where I want to apply the edits (exposure in this case).  I slide the exposure bar and the exposure changes to the entire photograph, not where I placed the mask.  Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot of the Lightroom Classic screen showing the mask, mask controls and exposure slider?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using the slider in the Basic Panel, which will affect the entire image.

You want the exposure slider in the Masking Panel (which may be collapsed and you would have to click on the triangle to the right of Effect: to un-collapse it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your fast response. You solved my problem.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue with Lightroom V11. Windows. I make a mask using select subject, red mask shows subject selected. Try to make an adjustment (any kind of adjustment) and the whole photo is adjusted not just the mask. Anyone have any ideas what is up with this. I have uninstalled LR and reinstalled but no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have scrolled down the right-hand panels and are adjusting sliders in the 'Basic' Panel.

Also it is possible the 'Brush/Gradient' adjustment panel is in 'collapsed' mode. Click on both the small white 'spinner' triangles on the right-hand edge of the panel to expand the Brush and Effect Mask adjustment panel-

Rob_Cullen_0-1636863324332.png

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines