• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1345 Replies 1345
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John - thanks very much for pointing this out! Very handy (although I think the long click/ single click way worked fine before!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see on these screen shots. I've tried like 3 different times to remove the dark area on the grass on the left side and it's not doing it. This is just a small part of the original image. It's supposed to be a very easy thing for the AI but it's struggling to add grass instead of redoing the same dark area again and again.

sample2.jpg

sample1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@Luis Solivan, using the JPEG you posted, I was able to quickly replace the shadow with grass:

johnrellis_3-1717610347764.png

The three variants were all useful but somewhat different.

Some things to check, based on this article:

- Make sure you've got a generous boundary selected around what you want to remove/replace. In this example, including more of the in-focus grass tends to make the replacement more in focus, matching the rest of the grass.

- If you've got a crop applied, do Remove, then crop.  The Remove command applies to the entire photo, included the cropped-out pixels.

- Similarly, if you have a lens profile applied in Lens Corrections, uncheck Enable Lens Profile, do Remove, then re-check Enable Lens Profile. (Lens Corrections can crop out lots of pixels on the edges of the photo.)

If this doesn't help, upload the original photo (not an export) to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar, and post the sharing link here. Let us know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When editing a rotated photo, the remove tool does not select the actual object that I want to remove. The highlighted area appears on another section of the image. As a work around, I've had to use the tool with the imported orientation view prior to any and all other edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Carolyn34101220jpwd: "When editing a rotated photo, the remove tool does not select the actual object that I want to remove. "

LR has long had problems with rotation and local adjustments:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-correct-copying-of-crops-and-local-adjustme... 

Many of the most common, egregious cases have been fixed. I'm not able to reproduce your symptoms in my configuration. Could you please upload an original photo (not an export or screenshot) showing the problem to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here? I'd like to understand in detail what's going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is to replace the remove tool in Photoshop, I need it to simply remove the object - not offer multiple replacements.  Is there a way to make it remove without offering replacements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@williamm53546440, see this article for how to use the tool to remove rather than replace:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/ 

If that doesn't help, attach the original photo (not an export or screenshot) here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seemed great until i went to export, all corrections were gone they all say "some remove settings need to be updated", so a days worth of editing is wasted... Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nichole Haun: "Seemed great until i went to export, all corrections were gone they all say "some remove settings need to be updated", so a days worth of editing is wasted... "

The corrections aren't gone -- LR has just decided the AI needs to be recomputed. Select the photos and in Library, do Photo > Develop Settings > Update AI Settings.  Any photos that don't need updating will be skipped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Garbage - removes nothing and all of the artifacts left by previous brush attempts just clog up the space. I pay $21.00 a month and this is what Adobe gives me. The instructions on the Adobe site are the usual clear as mud too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wrong - it isn't garbage, it just doesn't do what I thought it would. I wanted to remove  the yellow leaf and replace it with the white siding below but that simply didn't work. I'm sure I did something wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@imikeh61: "I wanted to remove  the yellow leaf and replace it with the white siding below but that simply didn't work."

With Object Aware checked, I selected the entire yellow leaf, and Remove added a boundary around it to the selection, resulting it in it being replaced by the white siding:

johnrellis_0-1717645808947.png

johnrellis_1-1717645838506.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anybody else experiencing a slowdown in Lightroom Classic after installing the update with Generative Remove?  I find it noticeably slower, but wondered whether it had anything to do with another program that linked to Lightroom (DXO Raw), that crashed on me and so I uninstalled it. I have however uninstalled and reinstalled LRC hoping to fix any software issues, but with no improvement in response times. Before I did the latest updated, LRC response time was fast. Thanks, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a peine le temps d'essayer qu'il y a plus de credit, ca parrait bien mais un essai et hop plus de credit, c'est dommage, je veux pas payer des credits sans savoir si ca peut m'etre utile ou pas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generative AI has been disgnated as 'Early Access'. As such, any credits used as part of your edits carry no cost. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do like the feature - it seems way more accurate than the old healing (or PS spot healing tools) on many occasions.
However, the Metadata logging seems somewhat off, as I have a few photos marked from the LR filters (Library panel) as edited using AI technology, which I edited the last time way before AI was available in LR. Looking into those spots where I used the healing tool, these are clearly marked as not being healed by Generative Remove. Thus images might get flagged for (excessive) use of AI, which were never touched by AI in the first place.

Hope this can be adjusted in a future fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Content-Aware Remove tool from LrC 12.x uses AI technology, albeit based solely on the pixels within the image. Therefore, any images edited using that tool will be flagged as having AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Wiebke37888945kwnw, "I have a few photos marked from the LR filters (Library panel) as edited using AI technology, which I edited the last time way before AI was available in LR."

There are two filter/smart criteria, Has AI Mask and Has AI Remove. Which one was given wrong results?

"Hope this can be adjusted in a future fix."

I tested these against a couple of my catalogs and didn't observe the bad results. Adobe won't pay any attention unless a very large number of people complain or a formal bug report is submitted from which Adobe can reproduce the problem:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12386373 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @johnrellis,

Thanks for your reply 😊

I used the Has AI Remove Filter, however, considering @Ian Lyons' reply the old healing tool might be flagged as AI as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That tool was formerly called Content-Aware Remove and did indeed use AI technology, as Ian explained. You can still access it by clicking the same Remove icon and unchecking Generative AI and Object Aware:

johnrellis_0-1717703621023.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to the Content-Aware Remal tool introduced in LrC 12 (October 2022 - https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new/2023.html), not the old heal tool. I've highlighted the Content-Aware Removal tool in the attached screenshot. It uses AI technology, but the model is restricted to using the pixels within the image.

lrc_12_content_aware_removal.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR used ambiguous terminology in 13.3 and earlier. The top bandaid button was called "Healing", and the Help calls it "Healing Mode":

johnrellis_0-1717706394262.png

The bottom bandaid button was called "Heal", and was one of three Heal Types according to the help or one of three Heal Modes according to the user interface:

johnrellis_1-1717706740998.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having trouble with using the remove feature, but this morning I reset everything in the Remove portion of the menu.  Then once again checked only the box for Generative AI and my results are stellar today.  I even looked through all three of the ones generated and it was usually the first one that did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news that you resolved whatever the issue was causing bad results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I try and remove an object instead of removing it a different version of it is presented

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines