• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image, including round-tripping to PS to use Gen-Expand)
  4. Global Edits
  5. AI Selective edits (Sky, Person, etc)

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1794 Replies 1794
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2024 Sep 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really looking forward to the pro removal - very interesting question.

I took one look at the image and thoroughly saw your point as I couldn't see how the AI could recognise the shadow as a thing to remove. Having said that I'm surprised by the result of an unpolished first 30 second hack...

It's a Generative AI Object aware remove with a bit of subtraction over the patch of sun on her left hip. There's certainly some movement in the hand and you lose the henna and bracelet etc so there is a good image but not the same image. I wonder if this is a case for "interaction" in a future development - being able to tell the AI that the selected area is a shadow so to change/remove that but preserve the underlying structure

Shadow.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I observe similar results.  I looked at about 15 variants, and several looked pretty good:

JohnREllis_0-1726953797326.png

@lloyd_pdx, if you make a similar Object Aware selection, do you get similar results?  Which precise model of Nikon is this from?  (Your export excluded the metadata.)  The model could matter...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose with reference to your original question this may not, currently, be the best way of removing the shadow from a specific subject if that subject is complex and must not be changed. I think it is doing an amazingly good job of replacing the area with a shadow on it with a different, closely matching, generated area without a shadow on it which is presumably exactly as it should function

I used to remove this sort of thing from less complex areas by spending far too long masking and adjusting which is much easier/less difficult with the new masking options (and may well belong in a different discussion with people who are much better at it than me - apologies to the mods)

The below is very much unfinished - the shadowed skin tone/abdomen shadow transition are a nightmare and would take ages so I haven't really tried and the transition on right upper leg isn't properly blended yet - but you can do things like select the shadow as a luminence range mask, adjust it to isolate the area you want to work on, intersect it with the subject, lighten it, warm it up etc etc until it matches and then you can use some healing (or Generative AI with precautions re it sampling the original image) on transitions but it preserves the original jeans/pose and hands/henna/bracelet if you can manage the skin tones and abdomen transition!

The Generative AI fix is much much (much) faster and better if preserving the specific details isn't critical

Shadow-4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll experiment further when I'm next able to on Monday. Camera is a Nikon D850 - curious how the camera model can affect the result. Sensor differences I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2024 Sep 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Camera is a Nikon D850"

This is likely the cause of some of your issues when editing the NEF (as opposed to JPEG you posted), due to a Remove bug.

Many cameras have sensors a little bigger than a standard aspect ratio, and the Camera Raw engine silently crops them to a standard ratio. The Nikon D850's sensor is 8288 x 5520 (w/h ~ 1.50145), which Camera Raw silently crops to 8256 x 5504 (w/h = 1.5).  That is, Camera Raw is cropping out 16 pixels on the left and right and 8 pixels on the top and bottom. The LR user never sees those pixels.

But a bug in Remove is looking at ALL the pixels, including those cropped-out border pixels. When you select the shadow on the model's legs, the cropped-out border pixels at the bottom of her legs could be still unselected, and then Remove will generate a replacement that tries to match them.

I've simulated with the JPEG by cropping another 16 pixels from the bottom, selecting the shadow, and applying Remove:

JohnREllis_0-1727020894282.png

Because the bottom row of 16 pixels is left unselected, and they are in shadow, Remove generates a replacement shadow that matches them.

We don't see that problem with the JPEG, since it doesn't have any such hidden cropped-out pixels.

The workaround is to make the selection brush big and then select along the bottom border, which usually selects those hidden pixels.  See here for more details on how to do that:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/more-complications-with-remove-and-cropped-pixels.5...

During the Remove beta ("early access"), Adobe isn't accepting formal bug reports, and all the feedback is lumped into this giant thread. So we don't know if they have acknowledged this as a bug -- let's hope so. LR 14 is due out in a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very thorough and helpful explanation! Thank you. I'll experiment with this info in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lloyd_pdx  - and here is my version of a very short and first atempt. I masked a little outside the shadow, as you can see when comparing tis and the original. Also notice that legs position are different from other results. I only checked the box "Generative AI"

1-Remove.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay!  It's actually working better now!  I was finding it was doing a really poor job (compared with the original versions).  I was able to remove a harness from a dog and it was perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Het is een verwijder tool NIET een VERVANG door ander OBJECT 2024-09-22_13-14-04.png2024-09-22_13-15-32.pngtool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gerard.v.H.:  "It is a remove tool NOT a REPLACE with another OBJECT tool"

See this article for how to remove objects more reliably:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/

Most complaints about Remove are addressed in the article. But if it doesn't help, please attach a full-resolution JPEG exported from the unmodified original photo, so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. With nearly everyone who has posted a problem photo, we've been able to show how to quickly remove the desired objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muy mala la eliminación generativa, siendo de Adobe deberian de usar el mismo mecanismo que tiene Photoshop para eliminar, en Lightroom solo reconoce la eliminación de la selección como en un 30% o 40% 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@YorVip: "The generative elimination is very bad. ... In Lightroom, it only recognizes the elimination of the selection at about 30% or 40%."

See this article for how to remove objects more reliably:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/

Most complaints about Remove are addressed in the article. But if it doesn't help, please attach a full-resolution JPEG exported from the unmodified original photo, so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. With nearly everyone who has posted a problem photo, we've been able to show how to quickly remove the desired objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, gracias por responder
Deseo eliminar los cables que están en la esquina superior derecha y solo
reconoce como un 30% y el resto por más que le doy varias veces no lo
elimina, lo elimine fue en Photoshop con la herramienta quitar en un solo
clic
FEC03753.ARW
<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@YorVip, your attachment didn't make it -- the forum discards email attachments.  You need to come back to your post in a web browser and attach it using the "browse files to attach" button at the bottom of the post window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2024 Sep 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Das generative Entfernen hat vor dem letzten Update sehr gut funktioniert. Seitdem ich die Version 13.5.1 installiert habe, hängt sich Lightroom bei der Analyse ständig auf und reagiert nicht mehr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@myriam_5042: "Since I installed version 13.5.1, Lightroom keeps crashing during analysis and stops responding."

Do you see a crash-report dialog asking you to submit the crash report to Adobe?  Did you enter the email address associated with your Creative Cloud account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see there are lot of complaints regarding this new feature in Lightroom and other photography programs. Let me enlighten all the authors and fellow users term AI is a good marketing slogan and all round the world all falling for it. I thing the correct name should be informed guesswork, then title is not catchy. What does the AI removal tools do in photography?. The photo we have only two dimensional and it hasn't got layers like you create in Photoshop. All this tool does it, with an area it tries is guess what the user want it to do and also examine the adjacent area and come up few option to choose from. They are all guess. The tool doesn't know what is really behind the highlighted area same as anyone looking at the photo for the first time. In most cases the the photographer may know exactly what id behind when he took the photo.

So don't be disappointed if it didn't get it right even if you have followed all the instructions. This tool is also learn as more and more people use it as it begin to guess better and will get closer to what most people's requests. It is certainly better than none. Don't keep critizing every time it didn't understand your request. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse my few typo.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Es geht nicht darum, dass das Tool nicht funktioniert, im Gegenteil. Es hat vor dem letzten Update sehr gut funktioniert. Jetzt hängt sich die Software auf und stürzt ab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! A work in progress. It works very well.

--
Sent from Gmail in PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had wonderful results with matching fills for color and content in LrC -- until -- I look closer and see that my content is in very sharp focus but the GF is out of focus considerably--beyond "soft" and basically unuseable. As a photographer, I appreciate that I should have got the right shot in the first place but I couldn't hang out over the cliff to clear the branches LOL. I will be doing some lengthy, careful cloning. 😉

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 2.33.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been a number of complaints here about lower-resolution replacements.  The maximum size of a replacement patch is 2048 x 20248 pixels:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/resolution-with-generative-remove.50557/#post-13362...

So trying to replace large areas will produce noticeably soft results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2024 Sep 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. Upon checking the png, it did exceed your 2048 x 2048 limitation. Indeed, small spots did not appear to change the resolution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2024 Sep 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to match the resolution while performing these actions. If the
area is large enough there is a way to do so in Photoshop, but the results
are marginal. Hopefully, soon.

--
Sent from Gmail in PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please have consistecy on generate results.

What i did: Paint wanted area on brush -> Apply -> Undo -> Paint again with same area.

What I expected: same generated result in versions.

Real results: every time generated results different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines