• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Display Focus Points

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2011 Apr 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon cameras stores the focus point that was in focus and the exposure was taken. This would be extremely valuable to see for a sports/action/wildlife photographer.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 172 Replies 172
172 Comments
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Focus Point display for any cameras that support it could be easily added as an info overlay by Adobe. It would be very useful for the technically minded photographers. 

Also deeply appreciated would be a "focus mask" kind of feature like what is found in Capture One Pro.

https://blog.phaseone.com/find-the-best-focused-images-in-no-time/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree. It's outrageous that Adobe hasn't integrated this feature yet. I also started a feature request for showing focus points years ago - no reaction from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An option to display the used focus point that would be a great addition to Lightroom. I do manual focus stacking for landscape photographs and there is no way in Lightroom to identify which photographs are from different focus points.

Nikon's ViewNX has this feature so the information is available in the raw file.

I can see this being of use to sport, wildlife and protrait photograhers too. It would be a great help in the culling of the initial ingestion and then selecting the top picks for processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the feature to display the Camera focus lock point be added to LR classic? I use canon DSLR and their Digital Photo software will show the focus lock point 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While waiting for Adobe to implement this, you might consider the Show Focus Points plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it were for Camera Raw as well, I'd get it in a heartbeat. I don't think there's any plug-in architecture for CR, though. (sigh) I don't like Nikon's software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plug in "Show Focus Points"  (http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/) can show focus points for most (but not all) Nikon and Canon EOS DSLR's as well as from a few Sony models. 

Last major update was 2017 so is getting a bit old, but if you have a camera it supports it really works well and is quite informative.  Not only shows focus point used but also shows
  • Camera make/model
  • Lens Make/model
  • Focal length
  • Distance to focus point
  • Exposure settings
  • Was live view in use
  • Focus mode (AF-S vs AF-C or Single shot, vs AI Servo on Canon)
  • Focus area mode
  • DOF
  • Hyper Focal Distance
  • Number of AF points in use (and how many were actually selected by the camera)
  • Number of AF points actually achieving focus
  • for each available focus point shows status of that focus point
       - Focus achieved on originally selected focus point
       - Focus achieved on not originally selected focus point
       - Inactive focus point
       - Focus point originally selected by user but not locked in picture
Image from my Canon 7d Mark II show in the plugin

Info box from above shot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plugin works for RAW files from most Canon EOS, Nikon, and some Sony RAW files. 

I don't know if it works from camera generated JPG's, but it might. 

I would be surprised it if worked for JPG's generated from RAW files outside of the camera (EG Save as Jpg or Export as Jpg) as I suspect many programs would not pass the focus point info through unless the program itself made use of that metadata.

I'm on the road so can't test these scenarios.  Maybe someone else can run a few tests and see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I know the Show Focus Points Plugin and it is a really great thing made from a user instead of Adobe. But it slows down your workflow if you have to switch between Lightroom and an additional plugin-window. Also it is rather old, now. It doesn't support Nikon's new Z-system, for example. Here is the list of supported cameras:

Canon: EOS 1D X / 1D C, 1D Mark 4, 1Ds Mark3, 1D Mark3, 1Ds Mark2, 1D Mark2 N, 1D Mark2 - 5D Mark 4, 5D Mark 3, 5D Mark 2, 5D Mark2, 5D, 6D, 7D - 80D, 70D, 60D, 50D, 40D, 30D, 20D, 10D - 700D, 100D, 650D (Rebel T4i), 600D (Rebel T3i), 550D (Rebel T2i), 500D (Rebel T1i), 450D (Rebel XSi) , 400D (Rebel XTi), 350D (Rebel XT), 300D (Rebel), M, EOS 1100D, EOS 1000D. Generally all Canon DSLR, and also most Canon Powershot models, should work fine too.
Nikon: D4s, D4, D3S, D3X, D3, D2Xs, D2HS, D2X, D2H, D1X, D1H, D1 - D750, Df, D810, D800, D800E, D700 - D610, D600, D500, D300S, D300, D200, D100 - D7200, D7100, D5600, D5500, D5300, D5200, D5100, D7000, D5000, D90, D60, D40X, D80, D70s, D50, D70 - D3300, D3200, D3100, D3000, D40. Nikon 1 (mirrorless) series (1J1, 1J2, 1J3, 1J4, 1V1, 1V2, 1V3, 1S1, 1S2, 1AW1, 1J5) are also supported. Sony (new): Sony A77ii (beta)

I think this feature should be an essential part of Lightroom:
- it is very useful
- it should be feasible for Adobe as they have to deal with the RAW-format of every new camera, anyway.

Dear Adobe-team - please have a heart after so many years 😉

Best regards,

Heiko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Olympus shows it  in the camera on the review screens, please include it in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2019 Sep 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I really miss this feature!  I photograph birds and want to know where the camera was trying to focus.  That's because I am after the sharpest possible files, and sometimes want to assess my technique.

Adobe, PLEASE include this feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure this plug-in doesn't completely work with my Sony A7iii in LR or LR classic.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple question: Please will Adobe explain why this is such a difficult feature to incorporate into LR (for both RAW and JPEG) as Aperture did. Surely the ongoing requests from users (Adobe's paying customers) spanning many years warrant some action. Ray Cary 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this it does not work for Lightroom CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please delete this thread, It's have my personal email in this thread; (It's my thread and the problem was solved)
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/my_photoshop_have_a_problem_when_i_type_the_m...

Google results show a discussion in this forum 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To whom can I plead that Lightroom please include a plug-in so can see the FOCUS POINTS of photos while editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe showing focus points is STILL not a thing in Lightroom, this is such an essential feature. I have to use Canon Digital Photo Professional to see this information. The info is inside the RAW file, Lightroom ALREADY has the lens profile information for each lens, why is this not a feature in Lightroom already?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature request was made almost 10 years ago, and has accumulated over 300 votes, on the official Lightroom Feedback site.

Many of the feature requests there do get implemented, but it isn’t just a question of votes. It can also have to do with other reasons, which sometimes aren’t even technical reasons.

Anyway, it’s definitely something people have been asking for over a long period of time, so Adobe apparently has some significant reasons for not having implemented it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be able to use a plug-in for this purpose. Mind you, these focus point plug-ins are often camera make limited. 

Google on:

lightroom classic focus point plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is it possible in Lightroom and also in Photoshop, to visualize the exact point of focus of a photo?
If so, how?
Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two plugins for Lightroom Classic that can do this. https://lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com
https://www.creative-photographer.com/show-focus-points-plugin-lightroom/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the information!
Are Plugins safe, do not cause LRC problems? Can I install them safely, are they free?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can install them safely. Some plugins are free, some plugins have a small fee. I believe these two are free.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate