Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-installing lightroom onto a new computer

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2013 Feb 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've just got a new imac and I already have Lightrrom 4 on my old one. I'm sure to most this is a VERY simple question so sorry in adance but believe it or not I cannot find the answer in any forums. How do I reinstall Lightroom onto a new computer?

Can I do this somehow using the serial number? I'm sure the licence allows use on 2 machines so I dont think I have to purchase again.

When I go into order history on my adobe account page, I thought I might be able to download it from there again... but cant see this option.

PLease could any replies be in simple speak and not too technical.

Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2013 Feb 10, 2013

You can find your serial number by opening Lightroom and then selecting Help->System Info.

To install LR on a new computer, just download the software from Adobe and enter your serial number.

Advice: for all the software that you purchase, write down the serial number and store it in a place that you will be able to find it when needed. This could be a piece of paper, or a computer file, but don't get into the situation wehre you don't know the serial numbers of the products that you have purchase

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find your serial number by opening Lightroom and then selecting Help->System Info.

To install LR on a new computer, just download the software from Adobe and enter your serial number.

Advice: for all the software that you purchase, write down the serial number and store it in a place that you will be able to find it when needed. This could be a piece of paper, or a computer file, but don't get into the situation wehre you don't know the serial numbers of the products that you have purchased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2015 Jan 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

too late.

not impressed.

reference to: writing down serial numbers. Expect this from software in the 1980s.

as such, unable to use the software.

Office 365 on the other hand, no problem.

There's a pleasant surprise.

edit2: maybe i can copy it across from my old installation? Surely that is too easy.

Anthony - doing a fresh install and just been gutted by adobe. Time vampire like this is deprecated by me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2015 Jan 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sevenh wrote:

too late.

not impressed.

reference to: writing down serial numbers. Expect this from software in the 1980s.

as such, unable to use the software.

Office 365 on the other hand, no problem.

There's a pleasant surprise.

edit2: maybe i can copy it across from my old installation? Surely that is too easy.

Anthony - doing a fresh install and just been gutted by adobe. Time vampire like this is deprecated by me.

I guess I don't understand any of this, it's not even clear to me what your issue is. Please describe the problem more clearly without discussing Time vampires and Office 365.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information on how to find the number in an installed version. I upgraded to LR5 but could not find the box of my LR4 install. Just went under the help tab and found the serial. Now all's set to go!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my serial number under the help menu are in dots. How do I find the numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The location of your serial number is given in this document

Where to find preference files for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pentwyns wrote:

How do I reinstall Lightroom onto a new computer?

Download the trial version from http://www.adobe.com/go/trylightroom/

When you launch the trial, enter your serial number and it will become a permanently licensed version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I have been a user for more than a year now and have been using CC. I had to change my PC but don't have the serial number.

What now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lost information - see reply #1 in https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2008767

Cloud programs do not use serial numbers... you log in to your paid Cloud account to download & install & activate... you MAY need to log out of the Cloud and restart your computer and log back in to the Cloud for things to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John. Your correct I have trying to figure out how to put in an old serial number but it never comes up. That is because it automatically goes to the cloud. I am going to look at the classic L.R. to see if I like that better and closer to the older version. Thank you for your help in all you do....Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I install Lightroom and begin the trial period it does not ask me for a license code. I have downloaded from the App Store and installed from the link you provided. Neither is asking me for a license code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Mac OS Mojave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks.. but maybe I wasnt clear in my orginal question

DJ_Paige. Thanks.. but I have not lost the serial number, I have the serial number for 3 (bought on disc) and 4 (paid for upgrade online)

John B.. The links above are about moving Lightroom catalogue and files to a newcomputer, not about installing Lightroom on a new machine when I have already purchased it and been using it.

John W - thanks.. is that the only option? Why would you download the trial when you know you need the full version. If I was to download the full version does is not give me an opportunity to put in the serial number? (I did try this and it didnt..). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a misconception, there is only one version. Trial means you can use it unlicensed for thirty days for evaluation purposes. From then you need to purchase a license, which you have.

To enter a license key Help>Lightroom Registration>License

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get the trial, or better yet, go >here< (Mac link) and download 4.3 directly. Either way, it's the full deal.

When you launch you get this:

trial.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you install from the disk the first thing you'll be prompted to do when you start Lightroom is to update your program.  Adobe doesn't release new packages every time the version is updated.  So you will get 4.0 in the package, and you'll be prompted to update to version 4.3 immediately.  Bypass that step by downloading the trial version, which is the full version of Lightroom, and then follow the prompts to enter your serial number.

Because I qualify for the academic discount, I have purchased boxed versions of Lightroom 2, 3, and 4.  And I have never yet used the installation disk to install the program.  I have bought the package just to get the serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to download LIghtroom 3 on my new computer and I have the serial number but it's telling me that the number I've entered is invalid. I believe I'm downloading the newest version so maybe I need to download 3 on my new comp to get it to work? Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Lightroom is your serial number for? What version did you purchase?

What does it mean when you say "I've tried to download Lightroom 3 ... But it's teelling me the number I've entered is invalid" and then in the next sentence you contradict this by saying "so maybe I need to download Lightroom 3"? Can you explain this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the latest version of lightroom on my new computer and when I tried to use my serial number it said it was invalid. I have a serial number for lightroom 3. I was just wondering if it would work if I downloaded the same version on my new computer as the one I purchased that is currently on my old (version 3)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your serial number is only valid for version 3. If you download the latest version (version 6) and enter your version 3 serial number, it will not work.

You must download version 3, install then enter your version 3 serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you download version3?

I had this app I downloaded online & have the serial # but can't find a way to reload version 3 on a new laptop. I was happy with 3 & don't want to pay monthly. Any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can download the 13 year old Lightroom 3 any more. Don't you still have the installer file you downloaded and used to install it with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it was download online…my mistake. --
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines