• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sorting images in LR Classic based on filenames

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How/where do I change the default image sorting function in LR Classic to display images based on filenames instead the date they were shot?
I need to set the default to sorting on filename instead.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving thread to the Lightroom Classic forum from Photoshop ecosystem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can simply change the sort order in the lower left corner of the main screen. If you do not see that option, hit the 'T' key to unhide the Toolbar. That change is 'sticky' so you only have to do that once. The default for new folders or collections cannot be changed however.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.
What bugs me is why I can´t set "Sort by filename" as a default instead of having to do it manually dozens of times every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or use the menu command View->Sort.

Sorting by filename is likely to give the same result as sorting by capture date, until you have >=10,000 images as most camera reset the file names after 9999. At that point, sorting by filename may not be what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It absolutely does not. I use this function on dozens of jobs every day and every time I have to manually select all then chose sort by filename.
Why can´t I set that as default?
It´s frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It absolutely does not.

My experience is the following: I pick a sorting order from the menu View->Sort, it remains in effect until I change it. However, there are different sort orders in each collection and each folder. So if you set a sort order in folder (or collection) 1, that sort order doesn't apply to folder (or collection) 2. However, once you set the sort order in folder (or collection) 1, it remains in effect until I change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I observed the same behavior as dj_piage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I´m just unlucky then. Mine reverts to "capture date" every time I import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "I guess I´m just unlucky then. Mine reverts to "capture date" every time I import."

There was a change introduced in Lightroom Classic 9.4 to the import dialog that allows you to setup or cancel how it function. Can this assist? See the screen capture.

BC30EDB4-6843-435F-8F75-9AA2EEFA9B52.jpeg

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The import dialog has nothing to do with the sort order of images in the Lightroom grid after they have been imported.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the right hand end of the Filter bar in Library is a padlock icon.

When set to CLOSED, every folder / collection view remembers and returns to its own view settings.

When you switch into that view (such as, a certain folder) the images show however they showed last time. Or if this is the first time you've ever looked at this view, default settings are used. You cannot AFAIK change what those starting defaults consist of.

Or, and this is how I have it set, you can click this padlock icon to OPEN. Choose whatever view-sort you want. Now switch to a different folder: you will continue to see this same view-sort you have just picked. Not a remembered view-sort nor any default view-sort. That continues until you change to a different view-sort. And then you will continue to see that, regardless of switching between folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

The Lock Filters button affects just the view filters, not the sort order, unfortunately:

johnrellis_0-1641534719871.png

Also, the behavior of Lock Filters is different than what you described.

When the Lock Filters is off (padlock open), the Library filter turns off when you change sources (folders or collections).

When Lock Filters is on, then:

- If File > Library Filters > Remember Each Source's Filters Separately is off, then when you change sources, the filter stays at its current setting.

- If File > Library Filters > Remember Each Source's Filters Separately is on, then when you change sources, the filter gets set to what it was last set at for the new source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did (IIRC) find that sort-by respected the filter bar padlock (I am on Windows) - although which of the two behaviours was represented by 'open' and which by 'closed', seemed a bit arbitrary.

To be clear, for folder A select sort-by filename, switch to folder B and that is seen also sort-by filename. Switch back to folder A, change to sort-by capture date, switch to folder B and that is seen also sort-by capture date.

I will test this again in a few hours, quite prepared to stand corrected if wrong! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I stand corrected, the padlock is not "sticking" sort order across folders, as I had thought it was doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bit weird.
My filters are in Develop mode, not in Library and neither has a padlock, so I can´t even try if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you maen by filters in Develop module? I don't think there's any such thing. Show us a screen capture of what you mean (by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon, not by attaching files)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume he means the filters in the film strip, which are the same filter presets as in the Library grid.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sixtentherabbit wrote:

This is a bit weird.
My filters are in Develop mode, not in Library and neither has a padlock, so I can´t even try if it works.

The library grid filters are the same filters as the ones you see in the film strip, but they may be hidden. Check the menu 'View - Show Filter Bar'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines