• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethered Shooting in Lightroom Classic 9.1 not working on Canon 5D Mk III.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded my OS from 10.14 to OS 10.15.2, and upgraded from the 2019 version of Lightroom Classic to the new LR Classic 9.1.  I have a Canon EOS 5d Mk II and 5d Mk III.  Both worked well with Tethered Catpure until these OS and LR upgrades, and now when I start Tethered Capture, it doesn't recognize the camera.  I checked connections, restarted and reconnected the camera, restarted the computer, deleted Lighroom Preferences, updated my camera firmware.  I tested my cameras on an old computer with OS 10.10 and Lighroom 6, and Tethered Capture still works great on that system.  

When my camera is connected, I am able to use the Lightroom Import window to navigate to the card in the camera and download images into lightroom.

Another puzzle piece, is I installed the October 2019 upgrade to EOS Utility, and it also is unable to recognize my cameras.  But Lightroom shouldn't require EOS Utility to operate the 5d Mk III, right?

I was on chat with Adobe tech support for 1-1/2 hours, and they weren't able to solve the problem. They suggested I contact Canon support for help.

Can anyone explain how I get Tethered Shooting to work?  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

I believe the problem is the MacOS X 15.2 update. That breaks tethering, not only in Lightroom but -as you have noticed- also in EOS Utility. And if I'm not mistaken also in CaptureOne.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Catalina 10.15.3 fixed it for me on my Canon 5d mkiv and EOS R.  I can now tether with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

according to the following link, CaptureOne put out an update today. 

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004264838-Regarding-tethering-and-Mac-OS-10-15-2...

As others have posted, I can see my camera in ImageCapture and System Profile. Lightroom Classic does not, even after recent update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's been over two weeks and still nothing from Adobe regarding this issue??? Looks like it's time to try Capture One.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i have upgraded my iMac 15.10.1 to 15.10.2 and updated lightroom lastest version  and if i connect my canon camera to usb for tethering, i can't see my camera on the acquisition software (Lightroom )but if i go to see in the system information i can see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_9109.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the cameras that are supported:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/tethered-camera-support.html

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I m using before the update there is a no problem but after updated i cant use any tethering 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera model are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon 5DMark4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the 60D, 5D Mark III/IV, and 1D X, a card must be in the camera for tethering to work properly.

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

İ try everything mate this is not card problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera are you using? Not all cameras are supported for tether shooting in Lightroom.

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon 5D mark 4 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

İ can import my media with LR but cant use Tethering 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The published list of supported cameras seems to indicate that your model requires a card to be inserted in order for tethering to function. I don't know anything about tethering, have never tried it even though my Nikon is supported. However, that would be my only suggestion.

A list of cameras that can be tethered 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i know but 5dmark4 dosent need memory card 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After update my mac to catalina, with lightroom classic 9 (the very recent version). tethering is not working at all. I have canon 5D mark IV. and lightroom can not show my camera.

I turned off camera and mac. and did all. but nothing worked.

What should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several threads indicating tether for Canon cameras is not functioning with the latest Mac operating system, macOS 10.15.2 Catalina. This is known to Adobe, however, I have not seen any indication from users if it can be rectified by reverting to macOS 10.15.1

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the command.

OMG. so there is now way yo tether yet?

Is there any way I can go back to sierra or Mac is planning to solve this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, joining this thread. It's now January 24 2020, still no tether ability (must be USB as I shoot RAW in the studio and wireless is unusably slow with RAW). Mac OS 10.15.2, LR v9.1.

Please, my whole studio workflow and speed is around tethered shooting - if tethering is comepletely dead, then we need a whole new system, but if they're still trying to fix it then we have to wait... This is a crazy dilema.

Anyone know anything?

Also - can anyone find an actual contact for adobe support? I can't seem to find one at all 😕

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot on a Canon 5D mkiii and I noticed on the Mac Mojave 10.14.6 or the LR 9.1 update that my recognition speed slowed way down. I timed it today and it takes 1.5 mins for LR Classic to recognize my camera once tethering is turned on in LR 9.2. I went out over last weekend and bought a new MBP 16" with Catalina 10.15.3 and tried to connect to it and NOTHING! That's when I spent hours reading about these issues that were unkown to me before making the huge investment. I even bought a new Tether Tools 15' cable with the USB-C to make sure it wasn't the dongle to the ThunderBolt USB-3 causing the issue. Still nothing. I now have a brand spanking new laptop that I can't teather to and an iMac that takes too long to connect. Very embarrising when you have a subject in front of you waiting to work. Looks like it's time to look at CaptureOne.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lindy this specific thread was marked as "correctly answered" a couple of weeks ago so the viewers may not look at this post. It would be better if you raised a new thread to attract more users. Also, I think you are raising additional/ new issues  .

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it fixed by given all security access to lightroom in my macbook. Systemprefrences > security > integrety > files & folders > lightrrom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tethering is broken again! I'm on 15.3.7 and can shoot for several shots (like 10) and then the camera is no longer detected. This isn't cool Adobe and Apple! This is my livelihood. I wonder what else is out there to tether. Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry 10.15.7! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BigSur 11.1 Canon 5Dmiii has latest firware and cannot tether, camera not found. EOS utility does see it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines