• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethering not recognizing Nikon D850 under Rosetta (M1 Max Studio - current LRC)

New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H/W: Mac Studio - M1 Max 32GB

Software: LRC 11.3.1

Camera: Nikon D850

Issue

====

Start Teathered Capture, which creates a popup to relaunch LRC under Rosetta.

When LRC is running under Rosetta and you select start tether,

On the first attempt LRC crashes.

LRC needs to be restarted and the launched under Rosetta again.

On the second and subsequent "Start tethered capture", LRC fails to detect the attached Nikon D850 camera.

The camera is connected by a known working usb-C port via known working PRPteather usb cable, This same camera, cable setup works when conected to a windows 11 laptop running LRC 11.3.1

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry for the trouble with Lightroom Classic's tethering. We are here to help.

Could you please confirm if this has worked in the past and has stopped working since a recent update to the macOS or Lightroom Classic? Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

Please try that if you have any other cable to test the tethering function.

There are a series of steps to help you potentially troubleshoot and fix the issues related to tether capture in Lightroom Classic in this article, and please give a detailed read through: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-tethered-capture-lightroom.html

Let us know if this helps,
Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sameer,

This is my first attempt tethered shooting with OSX monterey (12.3.1) and the Mac studio as it is a brand new machine. The cable and camera can be unpluged and pluged directly into a windows 11 laptop runing LRC 11.3.1 next to it and it tether captures fine.

I suspect that the issue is related LRC crash when you first start teathered capture under rosetta. I assume the crash details were uploaded to Apple/Adobe automatically.

The crash only ocurrs on the first attempt after a system boot/reboot. Any subsequent attempt there is no crash, but the camerea is not recognised. So there is either an OS structure that is left corupted of there is some state information that is maintained across LRC restarts. I have attached the crash report.

I have some interesting results from todays testing:

I only had the crash once, where yesterday it seemed crash on the first attempt after each reboot.

I tested the camera with 3 different USB cables, all atempts failed except one, were the camara was recognised. Repeating the test with the same cable did not work.

I am starting to think we have a race condition. Maybe the crash dump will shed some light.

Do you know when teathering be available nativeley for M1 architecture?

Regards

Rodney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I have followed all the suggestions and camera is still not recgonized. Is there a solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same issue.  Macbook Pro M1 with LrC and a Nikon D850 firmware C 1.21.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Chedric, you have not stated what macOS you are using. If it's the latest version 13.1 there are known issues, see the pined thread at the top of the discussion forum.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. All new, all up to date, sometimes it works with a shorter cable (original nikon) as opposed to a new 4.6 m, but keeps carshing with the short one anyway and sometimes it doesn't recognize the camera at all. Cannot figure out what makes it work this "sometimes", it seems completely random (disconecting, restart, taking cards out etc...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had any luck with this.  My D850 all of a sudden will not tether.  It worked a few months ago with no issues.  Ligthroom has been updated a few times since I last tehtered and I have also update to the latest Mac OS.  The issue is not the cable.  When I start LR and connect my camera I can import photos from the memory cards.  It's only when I try to tether that the camera is not recognized.  I would hate to switch to Capture One, but not being able to tether is a show stopper.  Please help!!!  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody found a solution? I am facing this same problem with my D750 on my brand new Mac Studio. I can import directly from my camera through the same tether cable, but the computer/LR cannot detect the camera for tethered capture. I just get a spinning wheel. I have tried my cable through various ports, adapted and unadapted. I pulled out my old computer, and it connects fine (this is not an acceptable workaround). I went out and bought a new USB-A to USB-C adapter. All my firmware and software is up-to-date. 

Firmware is Ventura 13.0.1

Apple M1 Max chip

32G memory

LRC 12.1

This is incredibly frustrating, as part of what I purchased this computer for DSLR scanning, and am now SOL with a huge backlog. I already spent a few hours with Adobe support with the only suggestion to go buy a new cable, which makes no sense as a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found out there is a known issue with Ventura and LR tethering for Nikon cameras.  All we can do is sit and wait for a fix.  In the meantime, I've been using a Capture One free trial to tether.  Considering permanently switching over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool, Adobe ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following this as I'm having the same issue with a Nikon D500. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded to firmware 1.30 for D850. Now it works for me again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working for me after upgrading firmware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What MacOS are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ventura 13.1 on M2 MacBook Air

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to Ventura 13.2.  I'm using a MacBook Air M1.  D850 firmware at 1.30.  Lightroom Classic 12.1.

Tethering still doesn't work.  Oh well....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it didn't work with fw 1.30 for 13.1 Ventura either, or you tried directly with 13.2? I am wondering whether I should upgrade iOS or not. Frankly, I am lucky I don't do photography for living, I'd really hit the roof. People spend thousands to have macs with lightroom just for photography and the bloody thing doesn't seem to work. Had a miniproject last week for which tethering would have been very useful and ended up going three rounds of shots for each of the 15 subjects looking at the pictures uploaded from the card. Not that many, but still annoying, for the kind of a set it was pretty important to look properly at the photos in the middle of the process. Will be shooting some film next WE so that I do some actual photography instead of fixing bugs and fiddling around constant software upgrades...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it with 13.1 on my M1 macMini and 13.2 on my M1 MacBook Air. Couldn't tether on either.  Firmware on the D850 is at 1.30.  Looks like the only difference between our two set ups is M1 versus M2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.... I tried to tethering with my Nikon D5200 on Lighrtoom 12.1, and firmaware 1.03 and it didn t work. I tried with Capture One and it works perfectly !!! What s going on Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No choice but to wait on an update to LRC.  In the meantime, I've had no problems with Capture One.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-mac-ventura-known-issues-please-read-... for information on this topic. 

This thread is an unrelated issue. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This situation is unfortunate but going forward I will be sure to check for issues before ugrading my OS or LRC.  Luckily I can continue to work with Capture One.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also just use Nikon's free tethering software NX tether which runs natively on M1 and M2 machines and set it up to tether import to a watched folder in Lightroom Classic so your images show up in Classic as you're shooting. This works just fine and is a good surrogate until Adobe and Nikon finally figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines