• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The reaons why Nikon lens profile is "none"

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realized nikon lenses in EXIF is labled "Nikkon" insteadl of "Nikon" therefore the lens profile is always shows none simply it cannot find it.  As soon as I manually added the brand to Nikon, then the model and profile are called as expected.  See the screenshot I have attached.  Note, the #1 screenshot shows lens labelled "Nikkon" but it's "Nikon" as brand in the lens profile.  That's why the lens profile doesn't triggered accordingly.

It would be a simple fix at adobe side to add one simple logic like if brand equals "Nikon" or "Nikkon" then apply blar blar blar...

TOPICS
macOS , SDK , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

This locked thread about lens profiles went wildly astray and contains misleading information that should be corrected. It's important to help the author @boisNgyrls and the other participants to understand what's really going on, but it's even more important to correct wrong information reportedly confirmed by Support so that others reading the thread aren't misled.  

boisNgyrls provided these two screenshots of the Metadata panel and the Lens Correction panel:

johnrellis_0-1646981998434.pngjohnrellis_1-1646982022613.png

and wonders why, when Enable Profi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon lenses have a 'brand name' Nikkor'. not Nikon or Nikkon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's typo, but that's not the point. See the screenshot and it's Nikkor okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all three of your captures from the same camera and if so, which one? I don't see 'none' but I see one listed as built-in, which is often the case with mirrorless cameras with a fixed lens and to be expected.

If a lens profile is provided, Nikon, Nikkor, whatever, what is the issue? The lens is being detected and correction should be applied if so set.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's came from the same camera and same lens in this example.  There is no "none" and it's indeed it's built-in, but it's the same.  Internestly people here love to catch this little things instead of looking into the real issue. 

The second screen was before I manually select Nikon as brand.  The 3rd screenshot was done after I picked brand = Nikon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do all three options produce the same results?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I can understand your question. 

I am reporting what happened in LR Classic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets back up. You have one lens that shows three differing results in that area of Lightroom Classic?

It's came from the same camera and same lens in this example.
By @boisNgyrls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, where did you get that information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, where did you get that information?

By @boisNgyrls

It's came from the same camera and same lens in this example.
By boisNgyrls

@boisNgyrls wrote:

The reaons why Nikon lens profile is "none"

@boisNgyrls wrote:

That's typo, but that's not the point.

See the confusion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok let me try again.

Screenshot 1, imported a new RAW file.  The lens showing its brand is "Nikkor" in library

Screenshot 2, I go to Develope and see if the lens correction was intacted.  It shows "built-in" instead of pulling the correct lens.

Screenshot 3, In develope, I manually select Nikon as the brand, then everything comes back as expected.

Because the brand inside EXIF of the image is "Nikkor" and your lens database does not have "Nikkor" but only "Nikon".  Where are you not clear really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well nikon lenses in EXIF is labled "Nikkon" is all Nikon's doing. LR is simply reporting that.

Built-in is usually seen with mirrorless bodies at least mine. I don't know why but the question is; is there any difference using that setting versus the third where you specifically pick a lens profile in Develop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already contacted Adobe and shared this post, they get it right away.  So don't reply my post anymore ok. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you contacted Adobe Customer Support, there's a high probability they don't "get it" -- they have a reputation for saying whatever is needed to close a call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did a remote session to my screen, he has created a ticket number.  It's confirmed a programming issue.  So I can only cross my finger and hope they will do something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I can only cross my finger and hope they will do something. 

By @boisNgyrls

Yes, do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This locked thread about lens profiles went wildly astray and contains misleading information that should be corrected. It's important to help the author @boisNgyrls and the other participants to understand what's really going on, but it's even more important to correct wrong information reportedly confirmed by Support so that others reading the thread aren't misled.  

boisNgyrls provided these two screenshots of the Metadata panel and the Lens Correction panel:

johnrellis_0-1646981998434.pngjohnrellis_1-1646982022613.png

and wonders why, when Enable Profile Corrections is checked, the Lens Profile says Make: Built-in rather than automatically selecting a profile for the lens shown in the EXIF metadata.

I downloaded a sample image from dpreview.com from the same camera model (Nikon Z 7) with the same lens (NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S). The Metadata panel shows the same camera and lens information as in boisNgyrls' screenshot:

johnrellis_2-1646982859109.png

The Z 7 is a mirrorless camera, and for most mirrorless cameras, LR automatically applies the lens profile that the camera manufacturer embeds in the raw file.  The Lens Corrections panel says, "(i) Built-in Lens Profile applied", and when you click on the "i", it gives more detail about the corrections applied by the built-in profile:

johnrellis_3-1646983878112.png

(boisNgyrls' screenshot crops out that message.)

For cameras supported by LR prior to version 9.4 (including the Z 7), it isn't possible to turn off the built-in lens profile (embedded in the raw file). For some cameras added in 9.4 and later (including the Z 7 II), you can disable the built-in profile. 

Thus, for those cameras for which you can't turn off the built-in profile, there's no point in checking Enable Profile Corrections and manually selecting a lens profile, since that profile will applied on top of the built-in profile, with undesirable results.

Adding to the confusion, in boisNgyrls' last screenshot, boisNgyrls thinks that a lens profile for the NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S has been manually selected:

johnrellis_4-1646985436068.png

But that's for a different lens (Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G ED).  Adobe does not provide a lens profile for the NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S (or for any NIKKOR Z lenses):

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html

Unfortunately, the relevant help page has never been updated with the changes made in 9.4 to allow built-in profiles to be turned off in some newer cameras:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support.html#Cameraswithbuiltinlensprofilesup...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Z 7 is a mirrorless camera, and for most mirrorless cameras, LR automatically applies the lens profile that the camera manufacturer embeds in the raw file.

Exactly; I mentioned built-in with my mirrorless and also requested a raw upload to examine and got nowhere. Looks like getting one uncovered the “issue”. Good job. 
So just leave it alone; set for “built-in”, move on. That is the correct lens profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well sorry, but this is a user-to-user support forum you posted in and asked about this behavior and sorry, but a sample .nef showing the issue would help get to the bottom of whatever is the 'issue' here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attach a sample .nef showing the issue to your reply here.  That will be worth a thousand more posts and let us give a precise answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have opened a new ticket for the same issue.  As far as I know it's the brand name issue, Nikon has 2 names "Nikon" and "Nikkor" and they use it in random manner which is really confusing.  Basically LR's database doesn't have a brand call "Nikkor" therefore the lens will never match.  I've ask Adobe tech to add an alias for Nikkor. 

I've also found out there are even more problems for older AF-S lenses... do you use AF-S lenses too?  If so, you should have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meantime, this is where the Setup option in Lens Corrections comes in. Select the profile, then in the Setup dropdown menu, choose 'Set New Lens Profile Defaults'. You'll need this for each camera, but it should remember the correct profile from then on.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines