• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated LRC and all my LUTs disappeared. "All items were already imported" yet nothing

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi adobe community and thank you for the help in advance. As the title says I am missing my LUTs that were all there prior to updating to the newest lightroom classic update the other day.

I have placed the LUT folders in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings as others have said to do and still nothing. Every time I try to add them on camera raw or lightroom I get the same damn message yet the LUTs are nowhere to be found.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me insane. Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

To build on WobertC's reply:

Landscape1.xmp is a creative profile containing a LUT, referencing the built-in raw profile Adobe Standard.   Thus, it will only appear in the Profile Browser when you're editing a raw file, not a JPEG, TIFF, or PSD.  

Your screenshot shows that you were editing a non-raw (JPEG, TIFF, PSD) rather than a raw:

Capture.PNG

When you're editing a raw, you will

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the LUTs should be installed in the folder named 'Tables' rather than 'Settings'. If you don't see a folder named 'Tables', then just create it and copy your LUTs into same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this but no luck.  Do I need to do more than just drop the xmp files in there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There has been a change recently (not quite sure exactly which version, though) and now the user presets are saved in the Lightroom Settings\Settings folder, instead of Lightroom Settings\Develop Presets.

I had the same issue and simply moved my custom presets folders to the new location then restarted Lightroom, and they were visible.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.  I did this but still nothing.  I'm wondering if it could be because my Lightroom Settings\Settings is in an odd location (inside one of my lrcat folders from a project) for some reason.  Where is this normally supposed to be located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find the location in the Lightroom preferences:

Screenshot 2021-03-08 211105.png

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator

Portfolio · Tutorials (Lightroom Classic, Photoshop,...) · Instagram

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't look like I have a folder with that name here.  Should I create it and drop the xmps in?  Also shouldn''t "store presets with this catalog" be unchecked or did I get bad info there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure... Check if presets with the same names of those you can't import are there in the Develop presets folder.

If so, move it somewhere completely outside of Lightroom (do not delete it immediately, just in case) and try reimporting the other one(s) with the same name.

If you find nothing in Develop presets that corresponds, maybe you could do a search for the name and see if it's anywhere in that folder structure.

"Should I create it and drop the xmps in? "

You could always try... Worst case scenario, it won't work, but it will not mess up Lightroom (99.9999% sure 😉 )

Also worth trying, creating a new preset with whatever edit, to see where it is saved.

The "store presets with this catalog" can be checked or not, it works fine both ways. I checked it so it's in a quick to access folder for backup, better IMO than in user/username/appdata/roaming/... (settings are not backed up up when you back up the catalog).

Hope that helps,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate it.  Here is a screenshot of all the folders I have tried moving xmps into.  I'm actually starting to wonder if they may be conflicting now which could be part of the problem

I want to reiterate that according to lightroom, all of these have been imported however they don't show up in the program anywhere.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I want to reiterate that according to lightroom, all of these have been imported however they don't show up in the program anywhere."

Yeah, they are very likely already still in a location recognizes (without making them visible in the Presets panel) and that's why they cannot be imported.

That's precisely what happened when in my case they were in the Lightroom Settings\Settings folder and I had to move them Lightroom Settings\Develop Presets.

"all the folders I have tried moving xmps into"

Do you restart Lightroom every time, btw? You should do it, whenever you move files around outside of Lightroom.

Have you tried a search (in the lightroom settings folder) for any of the presets you can't import?

It would really be best if you can find the presets that cause the issue, of course, but have you tried renaming the presets you try to import? It might be a last resort option, something that works but doesn't resolve the original issue...

You can rename an .xmp file and then edit it (they're simple text files). Find the entry with the same as it appears in Lightroom. It should be something like the following:

<crs:Name>
<rdf:Alt>
<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">preset name</rdf:li>
</rdf:Alt>
</crs:Name>

Set a preset name that you are sure isn't used by any other preset that have conflicts., then try to import it.

I haven't mentioned it so far because I assume you are careful, but let me say it anyway: whatever you do, make sure you don't leave copies of xmps everywhere, and undo any change that doesn't work.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, please attach screenshots and other images using the "insert photos" option in the toolbar, instead of attaching files. It's far easier when a screenshot is in the message 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a ton for your help with this.  I figured it out but you still helped me learn a lot about the process here and I really appreciate it!  The solution is in my reply to John.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That message, "All items were already imported", indicates you tried to import .xmp files but they were already imported into LR.  An .xmp file could be either a Develop preset (which appears in the Presets panel) or a creative profile (which appears in the Profile Browser and may optionally contain a LUT inside it).  (LR cannot import LUTs directly.) There are a couple of possibilities why you're not seeing the imported files:

1. In the Presets panel, click the "+" menu button in the upper-right corner and select Manage Presets. Check each group (folder) and click Save.  Then in the panel, expand each group by clicking the triangle to the left of the group and carefully examine the listed presets.

2. In the Basic panel, click the drop-down menu to the right of Profile: and select Browse. Right click one of the groups (e.g. Favorites or Basic) and do Reset Hidden Profiles.  Then expand each group by clicking the triangle to the left of the group and carefully examine the listed profiles.

3. It may be that the .xmp files you're importing are presets or creative profiles tied to a particular camera and will only appear when you edit a raw file from that specific camera.  If you think that's the case, edit a raw from that specific camera and look in the presets and creative profiles.

If that still doesn't help, upload one of the .xmp files to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm wondering if it could be because my Lightroom Settings\Settings is in an odd location (inside one of my lrcat folders from a project) for some reason.  Where is this normally supposed to be located?"

This happens when you have the option Preferences > Presets > Store Presets With This Catalog set -- then Develop presets , creative profiles, and other kinds of LR presets are stored in the "Lightroom Settings" subfolder of the current catalog folder.  

Unless you have a very specific reason for setting this option and understand what it does, you shouldn't have it set -- it just creates confusion.

Also, to avoid confusion it's best not to futz with the preset folders directly when importing presets and profiles but rather use the LR command File > Import Develop Profiles and Presets.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses.  Unfortunately, I have followed everything and still no luck. 

Everything was there until I updated and at this point, I'm so frustrated that I am wondering if I need to completely uninstall everything and start again.

Here is one of the LUTs as requested.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/amzj1vz31coahhy/Landscape1.xmp?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following this thread, I tried the XMP posted by @Bryan Out West (will delete it later).

1) Downloaded from Dropbox to my Windows-10 Downloads 'folder',

2) LrC Develop module > Presets > Import Presets

And there it is! in the Profile Chooser panel-

ScreenShot422.jpg

No problems installing and it works. Image viewed is a DNG from a Nikon NEF File. My Presets are NOT stored with the Catalog.

I always appreciate the expert advice from @johnrellis who understands the complexity of Presets and Profiles that Adobe introduced in v7.2 (was it?).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pitching in.  I followed the same process but I get this message "Unable to import presets, all items were already imported."

Im also using nef files from a nikon dslr and on the newest version of LRC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manually deleted all previous xmp LUTS and tried again.  This time I didn't get the message so I assumed it worked but they won't show up under profiles or presets.  I tried managing both and it simply doesn't come up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

To build on WobertC's reply:

Landscape1.xmp is a creative profile containing a LUT, referencing the built-in raw profile Adobe Standard.   Thus, it will only appear in the Profile Browser when you're editing a raw file, not a JPEG, TIFF, or PSD.  

Your screenshot shows that you were editing a non-raw (JPEG, TIFF, PSD) rather than a raw:

Capture.PNG

When you're editing a raw, you will see the additional groups Adobe Raw and (sometimes) Camera Matching:

johnrellis_0-1615239869162.png

To triple-check which kind of file you're editing in Develop, type "i" on or more times until you see the file name in the info overlay in the upper-right left corner:

johnrellis_1-1615240008159.png

It's not uncommon to think you're editing a raw when in fact it's a JPEG or other type of non-raw. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy cow I feel so dumb for not seeing this.  Turns out my dslr had somehow switched image quality back to JPEG from NEF and I didn't notice when ingesting it.  You'd think a former data wrangler would know better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

THANK YOU SO MUCH JOHN!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem. But my image is DNG. I Have Adobe Raw profiles.

I deleted my Profile from Adobe folders and imported it again. 

But it is still not shown. ( No hidden folders avalaible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it resolved.

"Turns out my dslr had somehow switched image quality back to JPEG from NEF and I didn't notice when ingesting it."

This is not uncommon -- plenty of reports on the forums of such mistaken identity.  The default settings of LR don't display the file extension or file type, and the quality of DSLR JPEGs is so good these days that it often isn't obvious. 

I set my Library grid view settings (View > View Options) to include the file name:

johnrellis_0-1615246870121.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines