Exit

🔎 Use People Masking for specific edits in Lightroom Classic: Quick Tips

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC HEADER .jpg

How to edit portraits using people masking

In addition to masking subjects, sky, and background, you can select and mask people in Lightroom Classic.

Now, you can make local adjustments to one or more people in a photo. The Select People mask even lets you edit specific parts of the body like skin, eyes, lips, teeth, and more!

People Mask - Quick Tip Intro.png

Start with a portrait of a person or group.
Portrait pictures with identifiable people & facial features work best & are suitable for detailed masks.

Go to the Develop module

Go to the Develop Module (D) > Press Shift +W (Mac/Win) or select the circular tool icon to reveal all the Masking tools.

SameerK_1-1678467229119.png

Selecting People

Lightroom Classic will automatically detect all the people in the photo. You can select All People or the person in the image you want to make adjustments to & a Red overlay (by default; can be customized) will appear.

Person Button - Quick Tip.png

Selecting specific parts in People Mask
Once you've selected a person, you can further decide what specific parts of the person you want to make adjustments to. You can even use Add People to add other people to the same mask before you create this mask. Select from Face Skin, Body Skin, Eyebrows, Eye Sclera, Iris and Pupil, Lips, Teeth, Hair, or the Entire Person & click on Create Mask.

SameerK_1-1678470185035.png

Make adjustments
Use the sliders within the Tone, Presence, Color & Detail to apply adjustments & see the effects live to the selected person or their specific features.

SameerK_2-1678470774309.png

Watch the video

Masking Youtube Button.png

Stay tuned for more tips to come.

Related links:

Lightroom Classic system requirements 
Masking tool: Lightroom Classic 

Quick Tips: How to give Full Disk Access to Lightroom Classic on macOS  

Quick Tips: Optimize LrC preferences for better performance 

Basic troubleshooting steps to fix issues in Lightroom Classic 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason this no longer works for me. I click the circular tool, it says "detecting people" for a few seconds, then it just says "person 1", which just selects the whole image. No matter how many people are in the photo it only ever says, "person 1". I have the latest update (LRC 12.3) and even updated MAC OS to Ventura 13.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there, I like masking to me more clever. When I want to optimize eyes and pupils, why must I choose the preset manually?
Same for teeth? It is very anoiing... Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines